Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dobsonian skywatcher cover

Storing your scope in-doors in a warm dry environment, you probably do not need a scope cover, although my two dobsonians, which live in a back room, each have a dust cover, although not really that necessary. These are large clear plastic bags meant to serve as ski case holdalls which I have had for years from an airport terminal.  When out on trips, I have a cover for each scope, one was tailor made from  a maker who periodically advertises on Astro Buy and Sell (Cygnus Astro Covers), the other is a large Astro Systems scope coat. Both are breathable and would be very useful for weekend star camps, otherwise they receive occasional use if encountering a sudden rain or sleet shower. The cover that Mike refers to would also be a good consideration.  

I use a "Premium" Stacking Chair Cover by Gardman and available at most Garden Centres.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardman-34395-35995-Stacking-Chair-Cover-x/dp/B00A7POQBC

Its big enough to cover my 8" Skyliner Dob and is the same product as Green Witch sell for twice the price as a Scope Cover, or at least it was when I purchased one off them a couple of years ago and mightily unhappy I was as well because it came in a case showing it as a garden chair cover.

Good product though and does the job a treat.

Mine is currently in my garden room, but likely moving into the garage. When it does I have a garden bench furniture rain cover from Aldi (£7 in the end of summer sale). That should be enough for peace of mind as long as it's not outside

My scope mainly lives in the garage, if I do leave it out overnight I cover it with an old ex army plastic poncho, it's pretty indestructible and waterproof. Being open at the bottom problems with condensation are minimised

I use one of these for my setup: http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_t365.htm  They are available for any type of telescope and can be left outside with no problems.
a pair of skiboot heaters underneath keeps the temperature just above dewpoint. The trick is to not totally close the cover at the bottomside, but allow airification.
Keep the lenscaps on because insect may crawl in... nothing worse than insectpoop or snailtrails on your glasswork.

Archived