Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone ID this asteroid?

Tim

Just looking through some rubbishy images I don't plan to use from last year (2016 :p) and saw that in this one there is an asteroid, presumably, near the little fuzzy PGC13696 just off Electra. This area is rich in these little moving chaps, but stacking the images normally removes their trails.

If you have your own M45 images, it can be worth setting three or four up, one from the start of the session, one from the middle, and one at the end, stretch them, then blink between them. If there is any asteroid activity your eyes should pick up the moving white dot quite easily.

The necessary details for the image are:

Date: 03/12/2016

Start time:  20:50 GMT

End Time: 22:28 GMT

Object travelling left to right as seen in the image.

I'm pretty sure there is a way to go back and ID these objects at the MPC, anyone know how?

Thanks

Tim

M45 and traveller.jpg

9 minutes ago, Tim said:

That was quick Stu :) 

That looks like Sky Safari? I have that but was unaware it could do this, so will take a butchers when I am more "with it" :)

We here at Stuometry.net aim to please ;) 

It looks pretty close in terms of the track, I guess it's close enough that location in the U.K. Might account for the slight difference?

Yes, SkySafari Pro. I just found the PGC object you referenced, set the asteroid magnitude limit to its dimmest setting, set the time to 20.50 and then wound the clock back in days to 3rd Dec and there it was.

IMG_8455.PNG

IMG_8454.JPG

2 hours ago, Stu said:

We here at Stuometry.net aim to please ;) 

It looks pretty close in terms of the track, I guess it's close enough that location in the U.K. Might account for the slight difference?

Yes, SkySafari Pro. I just found the PGC object you referenced, set the asteroid magnitude limit to its dimmest setting, set the time to 20.50 and then wound the clock back in days to 3rd Dec and there it was.

This was exiting and reminds me of a similar little trace I have on a Horse-Flame image from 22.40-23.20 GMT 12 Dec 2015 (Home obsy 60 °N Sweden). I actually clone-stamped it out in the final processing as I disregarded it as some artifact. Could that also be an asteroid?

IMG_702-711NewPS7+FTHa8cropAsteroid?.jpg

6 hours ago, gorann said:

This was exiting and reminds me of a similar little trace I have on a Horse-Flame image from 22.40-23.20 GMT 12 Dec 2015 (Home obsy 60 °N Sweden). I actually clone-stamped it out in the final processing as I disregarded it as some artifact. Could that also be an asteroid?

IMG_702-711NewPS7+FTHa8cropAsteroid?.jpg

Hey Gorann, I like this game!

I found Alnitak and put the correct time in then scrolled to the date, and sure enough (225) Henrietta appeared. You captured an asteroid too :)

EDIT Lovely image by the way :) 

IMG_8460.PNG

IMG_8458.PNG

IMG_8459.PNG

48 minutes ago, Stu said:

Hey Gorann, I like this game!

I found Alnitak and put the correct time in then scrolled to the date, and sure enough (225) Henrietta appeared. You captured an asteroid too :)

EDIT Lovely image by the way :) 

IMG_8460.PNG

IMG_8458.PNG

IMG_8459.PNG

Woow, this was exiting!

so what I thought was an imperfection in my imaging was actually a big 100 km asteroid.

Thanks a lot Stu!

So, here is the final version of this image with the 100 km asteroid 225 Henrietta put back in! I will never use clone-stamp in PS again for things I am not 100 % sure are just hot pixels or satellite trails.

IMG_702-711NewPS7+FTHa12cropAsteroid.jpg

Archived