NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

2170, the picture...

ollypenrice

Maybe the last one of the year from 'im and me. It was 'is idea and 'e owes me a drink! The statistics are:

RGB from the Takahashis at 530mm FL:  18 hours. (12 of which were from Tom's time in Spain a few years ago.)

Luminance, TEC 140 32X15 mins, 8 hours.

RGB, TEC 140, 3 hours per channel, 9 hours.

Satellite trails 800 (estimated conservatively.) I presume these are geostationaries. They dawdled through the subs about five at a time leaving fat trails which were so numerous as to leave banding - mercifully parallel with the chip, so Noel could remove them with his vertical banding removal action. Thank you Noel! http://www.prodigitalsoftware.com/Astronomy_Tools_For_Full_Version.html

I weighted the 18 hours Tak data (530mm FL) at fifty-fifty with the 9 hours TEC data (1015mm FL) and resized/combined them in Registar. This seemed to work fine.

NGC 2170 lies about six and a half degrees below the celestial equator in a dusty part of Monoceros. It's a star forming region and is home to a bright radio source, so lots going on there. While it reaches about 40° above the horizon from here I had to start shooting when it was only about 15° clear of the horizon to get the time in. (That was when I went for colour.)

Click on the image and the button for a full screen version is lower left.

NGC%202170%2035%20HRS%202FL%20WEB2-X3.jp

Happy new year,

Olly and Tom.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Superb Olly,

There is beautiful detail in the central dark dust lines, but also in the Blue reflection nebula at the top. I think this nebula should be called the Butterfly nebula. Almost has wings, and a head.

This also reminds me of NGC1333, dark nebula, with a fire in the core of star birth. Well worth the hours of data collection.

Tom 

4 minutes ago, Tom OD said:

Superb Olly,

There is beautiful detail in the central dark dust lines, but also in the Blue reflection nebula at the top. I think this nebula should be called the Butterfly nebula. Almost has wings, and a head.

This also reminds me of NGC1333, dark nebula, with a fire in the core of star birth. Well worth the hours of data collection.

Tom 

The butterfly comparison struck me, too, as did the similarities with 1333. Unusual and intense colours in both.

Olly

6 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

The butterfly comparison struck me, too, as did the similarities with 1333. Unusual and intense colours in both.

Olly

Looks way more like a Butterfly than the one labelled so in Cygnus, what is it NGC6914? if you type butterfly Nebula into google, you get a variety of different objects. 

Great image, guys ('im an you). My first reaction was that it looks like a fly (the lure that's used for fishing). Don't know why that came to mind, because I don't fly fish.

There's a lot of dark dust surrounding the nebulae. I wonder if that could be lifted slightly. This detail is probably lost somewhere in the SGL servers.

Thanks for sharing, and Happy New Year to you too.

23 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Great image, guys ('im an you). My first reaction was that it looks like a fly (the lure that's used for fishing). Don't know why that came to mind, because I don't fly fish.

There's a lot of dark dust surrounding the nebulae. I wonder if that could be lifted slightly. This detail is probably lost somewhere in the SGL servers.

Thanks for sharing, and Happy New Year to you too.

I'm not very good at dusty backgrounds. Some people seem to get the dusty reds separated nicely from the bluer/blacker dark sky. I'd like to get to the bottom of this one...

Olly

Super work Olly, reflections, emissions and dust creating a very pleasing image of the cosmological scale anarchy in the area.  Nice depth as well creating a 3D feel to the main areas.  Well done.  On the dust - is this produced in PS?  I find it easier to realise the dust and other faint details in PI (often will mask these back into a less busy version for more control)  Start with an STF version and see if that shows more detail or not.  That said I like the background on this as it has some subtle detail that does not distract from the main areas.

Paddy 

Great image of this difficult target.

From examining the higher res image, I think the dust is lurking there.  The image seems somewhat dark on my monitor Olly, certainly not your usual dark/charcoal grey, within which I'm sure I can see some background nebula :bino2:.

As Paddy mentions, there is a script in PI, Script/Utilities/LargeScaleStructureEnhance, and if you click the option 'Final Image' and then apply to the image with the default settings, you will get a new image with a stretched background and the faint nebulosity enhanced.  This can be used to blend into the original to elevate the background structure.  Might be worth a try and an experiment.  As Harry would say, 'Turn to the dark side' :evil5:.

36 minutes ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Great image of this difficult target.

From examining the higher res image, I think the dust is lurking there.  The image seems somewhat dark on my monitor Olly, certainly not your usual dark/charcoal grey, within which I'm sure I can see some background nebula :bino2:.

As Paddy mentions, there is a script in PI, Script/Utilities/LargeScaleStructureEnhance, and if you click the option 'Final Image' and then apply to the image with the default settings, you will get a new image with a stretched background and the faint nebulosity enhanced.  This can be used to blend into the original to elevate the background structure.  Might be worth a try and an experiment.  As Harry would say, 'Turn to the dark side' :evil5:.

Get thee behind me, Satan!

No, many thanks Barry, I'll have a look. I have Warren's book for Christmas as well.

Maurice Toet also considered it a bit dark. This may be the Smugmug gallery rendition because, after seeing it on there, I lightened it up a bit and reposted it. On the other hand it my just be my ineptitude with this kind of background!

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

Rogelio Bernal Andreo went for the dusty detail.

http://www.deepskycolors.com/archivo/2010/02/13/ngc-2170.html

But imo, the dust shouldn't distract from the bright nebula. I like the subtlety in this image (Olly's that is)

Just my € 0.02

I greatly admire Rogelio's work, he has taken AP into new territory, but I'm not aiming to do the same kind of thing. This isn't a criticism, it's just an acknowledgement that I have a different motivation. I wish I knew what he he knows, though...

Olly

6 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Awesome image!

Would a geostationary satellite by definition not move?

Thanks. A geostationay won't move relative to the Earth but the Earth is moving relative to the stars and the mount is following those, hence the trail. (I presume, since I know zilch about satellites!)

Olly

Just now, Adam J said:

Would a geostationary satellite by definition not move?

Fairly stationery with regard to the Earth but, the Earth rotates and the satellite follows. The sky appears to move in an arc across the sky so the satellite will appear to move across the sky in images.

Just now, ollypenrice said:

Thanks. A geostationay won't move relative to the Earth but the earth is moving relative to the stars and the mount is following the stars, hence the trail. (I presume, since I know zilch about satellites!)

Olly

Yes of course you are correct.

Super work, Olly. I really like the colours :)

22 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

On the dust - is this produced in PS?  I find it easier to realise the dust and other faint details in PI   

Paddy, I wonder if some of this comes from the fact that PI works at 32 bit precision, rather than the 16 bit of PS? I know the cameras only capture in 16 bit, but as soon as stacking of multiple images takes place, the average pixel value could easily vary by a lower amount than the sampling interval.

Maybe this is a question for the PI forum. LOL

30 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, folks. OK, time to lighten up for the New Year!! Any better?

Yep! I like this one more Olly. But either of them are stupnedous images, and a tribute to both patience and never throwing any data away!

Have a great New Year!

2 minutes ago, Pompey Monkey said:

Super work, Olly. I really like the colours :)

Paddy, I wonder if some of this comes from the fact that PI works at 32 bit precision, rather than the 16 bit of PS? I know the cameras only capture in 16 bit, but as soon as stacking of multiple images takes place, the average pixel value could easily vary by a lower amount than the sampling interval.

Maybe this is a question for the PI forum. LOL

Thanks Paul. It's the colours which make this target, hence the insane amount of data collection.

I never answered Paddy's question and the answer is 'both.' I did run LHE to perk up the background contrasts and in the second version tried Background Enhance. I don't seem to have the LargeScaleStructureEnhance Barry mentions. In Ps I used Local Contrast Enhance from Noel and my own custom kinks in curves. (I hope it's OK to talk about  our kinks and curves on SGL...)

We'll see what Tom makes of this data. I shall probably be humiliated!

Olly

Archived