Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Leaving Telescope and Kit Outside (No Dome/shed)

Hi, and thanks for posting. I'm very interested in this thread as I still set up/take down equipment each evening. It does become a wearing process with the worst occasions being when the predicted weather changes and you have to pack away without actually doing any imaging at all. 😱

Not having the money to buy or build a shelter for the equipment and wary anyway over leaving electronic items out in all weathers even if  covered over I now approach imaging in a different way. Over the past season I have constructed a level concrete pad at the bottom of the garden and paced markers on the surface where I can carry my tripod and mount to each session. This means the mount is automatically level and facing Polaris, so time saved. I also invested in a Eagle Core mini PC to power equipment and control imaging which means I have only one mains cable to reel out to power the device which then powers the mount and my DSLR. I can use short power and USB cables at the mount which are permanently connected up, again saving set up time and the risk of damaging cables when they become stiff in cold weather and handling them in the dark. The Eagle Core can be controlled in a variety of ways, by Ethernet cable or wi-fi and by Windows pc's/laptop or apple and Android devices; using wi-fi control does away with cables.  I find the iPolar device from iOptron works very solidly and quickly achieves polar alignment each session. The whole tripod/mount can be moved back indoors very quickly at the end of the session with only the power cable needing to be reeled up. This whole concept attempts to maximise imaging time and lessen setup/take down time.

IMG_8853A.thumb.jpg.50e0c491b268fc3486bdd760a7b5b0b3.jpg

I will be looking at all the other different options and solutions on this thread.

Cheers,
Steve

• Like 2

I'm also following with interest. I've just got myself a Skywatcher Pillar Mount with the aim being to set 3x small floor tiles into the lawn with holes drilled in them for the adjustment bolts at the end of the pier legs. 

This will then stay with an EQ5 permanently attached and will be covered so I only have to attach the OTA and power to use it. 

Posted this in another thread raised from the dead so putting it here as well.

Puppy warming blanket ( the red thing ) plugged into 12 volt battery with 25watt solar panel charging it although this isn't sufficient in winter so have two batteries to charge and swap around, may run mains to the pier one day, cameras have woolly hats covered with shower caps, whole thing covered with a mattress protector then breathable waterproof cover.

Dave

Pet-blanket.png.3ff5d29fd9b848489303dc1b99d0a6c9.png

• Like 1

I have left my mounts outside for 2-3 years now, I use a telegizmo 365 and then cover it with one of ENS breathable covers, from experience I can't trust 100% the telegizmo as I had one fail and it filled my mount up with water.

I leave my Scope, camera, FW, etc outside as well on a permanent pier, I was going down the route of a Obsy, but I am a bit of a perfectionist and if I can't afford to do it properly then it will wait until I can.

I have just bought a CEM40EC to go with my 120EC and both shall remain outside ready to roll.

Edited by Jkulin
Typo

29 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

I have left my mounts outside for 2-3 years now, I use a telegizmo 365 and then cover it with one of ENS breathable covers, from experience I can't trust 100% the telegizmo as I had one fail and it filled my mount up with water.

I leave my Scope, camera, FW, etc outside as well on a permanent pier, I was going down the route of a Obsy, but I am a bit of a perfectionist and if I can't afford to do it properly then it will wait until I can.

I have just bought a CEM40EC to go with my 120EC and bother shall remain outside ready to roll.

So do you have anything under the cover to prevent condensation, and do you secure or leave open for air to circulate...?

On 28/12/2019 at 23:53, WanderingEye said:

So do you have anything under the cover to prevent condensation, and do you secure or leave open for air to circulate...?

Nope, I very loosely secure a bungee cord to stop it lifting off in the wind

1152994726_CEM120ECCovered.png.f97b20e8d4c63f306377f396d4980f5a.png

I have done the same with the 40EC except that is on a tri-pier until I can work out a permanent location.

Edited by Jkulin

10 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Nope, I very loosely secure a bungee card to stop it lifting off in the wind

1152994726_CEM120ECCovered.png.f97b20e8d4c63f306377f396d4980f5a.png

I have done the same with the 40EC except that is on a tri-pier until I can work out a permanent location.

Hmmm, I had pretty much the same set up, but my cover was not a telegizmo, and it got covered in condensation, with loose fitting and air vents in the cover, so does the TG cover make all the difference do you think, and stop warm air, and ultimately condensation, under the cover, with it’s silver liner..?

My Telegizmo cover is held fairly loosely, and hasn't come off yet, even in the high winds we had recently (Which took slates off a roof). I use an electric pet-bed under the cover to keep things warm and the dew at bay. I have an obsy in planning for the new ODK12, and have preliminary plans for converting the platform where my current 'scope is sited into a remote controlled imaging box.

1 hour ago, WanderingEye said:

Hmmm, I had pretty much the same set up, but my cover was not a telegizmo, and it got covered in condensation, with loose fitting and air vents in the cover, so does the TG cover make all the difference do you think, and stop warm air, and ultimately condensation, under the cover, with it’s silver liner..?

I have had condensation under my TG365 in the past but bought one of these. 

Pro Breeze 500ml Compact and Portable Mini Air Dehumidifier 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NFRTVY6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_IejcEbGFF9SGK

It was originally for my sons bedroom where he had a damp spot but he’s now moved into a converted loft.

the dehumidifier has a float switch in it that turns it off when it’s full so I drilled a hole in the water chamber and ran a small “hose” from it out of the bottom of the cover so it constantly drains. 
I have put my cover over in a rush during an unexpected shower without having the time to wipe down and found all water gone the next time I check, which would normally be 24-48 hours later depending on the weather 

cheers 

Bryan 

23 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Posted this in another thread raised from the dead so putting it here as well.

Puppy warming blanket ( the red thing ) plugged into 12 volt battery with 25watt solar panel charging it although this isn't sufficient in winter so have two batteries to charge and swap around, may run mains to the pier one day, cameras have woolly hats covered with shower caps, whole thing covered with a mattress protector then breathable waterproof cover.

Dave

Pet-blanket.png.3ff5d29fd9b848489303dc1b99d0a6c9.png

Hi Dave 

I love the shower caps! Genius! 
can I ask, what mount is that? It looks like a nice piece of kit! 

cheers

Bryan

1 hour ago, WanderingEye said:

I think its a combination of both covers, the garden is quite open so any wind helps keeps a movement of air around it, I just don't seem to get a problem with condensation, the only time I did was when using the plastic moulded primary cover that came with the 10" RC, since not using that I just don't have an issue.

1 hour ago, assouptro said:

can I ask, what mount is that? It looks like a nice piece of kit! 

Hi Bryan, it's a 10Micron GM1000HPS, loadsa money but it's saving grace is not needing guiding so one less thing to go wrong 😂

Dave

• Like 1

On 23/12/2016 at 11:26, gnomus said:

The pier is cemented into the ground.  I have one of those AA Pier top adapters.  The idea is that I keep my CGEM mounted on the pier at all times.  That way I don't need to redo polar alignment each time.  Plus, so long as I return it to the Home position, I should be able to use the 'Last Alignment' feature, and not have to go through the tedious 'Star Alignment' routine. 

In summary - why not build a permanent pier.

Why not just use the hibernate function, it's abit further down the list and also in utilities.thats how I do it and I'm a setup, tear down until my little shed is built

Edited by newbie alert
Adjusted