NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moon shot with compact zoom camera, x30

Stu

Took this hand held with a Panasonic compact camera yesterday evening. I'll post up the model number later, can't remember it now.

What I find impressive is firstly the zoom capability at x30, and secondly the digital image stabilisation. The view on screen is very stable, although it does jump between stable positions if you wobble a bit.

Anyway, here it is with just a bit of processing with PS Express on my iPhone. That reminds me of the other benefit of the camera, namely WiFi so you can easily upload the images to your phone or PC.

IMG_7760.JPG

That's an impressive image for a PAS Stu.

Sky at night did a group test for the best PAS camera for astronomy in their May 2011 issue with the winner being a Canon Powershot SX210IS. This had a 28-392 zoom lens but I'm not sure what that equates to in 'X' magnification ?

A bit dated now of course but I'm sure the prices are more favourable on the cameras in the test now :D

The model is a DMC-TZ60. Even better because I won it in a competition at work :) 

Tweaked in a different way.... very noisy but a little more detail perhaps?

I'll try it on a tripod to see what difference eliminating the digital stabilisation makes.

IMG_7764.JPG

6 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

great shot Stu, wish my hand was that steady, well done. thanks , charl.

That's the point charl, the image stabilisation is so good that you don't need a particularly steady hand!

I've just found out that my iPhone bracket will also take this new camera so I can try my hand at some afocal imaging with it. Should be interesting, and a lot better quality than this one.

15 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

I am curious as to just what this camera can do, i hope to be in the market for a new pas or bridge camera early next year

Hopefully I will make some progress with it soon Jules and I'll post the results up

Archived