NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Diy mount hub

redtail

Finished fabricating my Diy mount hub. This has auto dew heaters ,6 switchable usb ports ,auto focuser control, 3 power relays and an oled display showing the variable power to each of the three dew bands.Tested and working fine.The hub is fabricated out of 5mm aluminium.Only one usb and one power lead to connect to the hub.

15267687_595401763982020_6870290618834518848_n.jpg

15356569_595401780648685_840530759018906897_n.jpg

Looking really good redtail, you've saved yourself a serious amount of money looking at the price of commercially available hubs.  I've a long term project aim to do something similar  -  you may well have convinced me to bring it up the pecking order :) 

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like this a lot, Redtail! Well done!

It follows along what I hope to do with mine should I ever tear it down to revamp my wiring (which is harnessed).

Running a single USB cable from the mount, does it ever have problems with data collisions or slowing down? I ask because when I put in my USB Powered hub, it cured a lot of problems. But I installed it at my computer end of the cables for ease. I would much prefer to have your version with a single power wire and a single USB cable. But I've been lazy about tearing things apart. It was one of those temporary things that became permanent. :hiding:

Ideal to me would be wireless, with one of those mini computers WiFi'd to my inside computer. But I think I still need a display, keyboard, and mouse on site.

16 hours ago, SonnyE said:

Ideal to me would be wireless, with one of those mini computers WiFi'd to my inside computer. But I think I still need a display, keyboard, and mouse on site.

I started off trying to control a mount local pc, over wifi from my main pc inside the house, but found it to be very unreliable with slow\dropped connections. I ran 2, external grade, CAT 5e cables to the mount from my switches so now have a GB net connected system.

For remote control, I use remote desktop\teamviewer, but also playing with VNC for some experimental linux systems...

Archived