Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

RGB M27 Dumbell (and a star trail image)

SteveL

Well, what a quite amazing night that was! I was at a BBQ early in the evening, and managed to escape early (wife could see me staring up at the sky all the time), got home and set up. The Milky Way was bright and crisp across the Zenith, no wind, no rain, no clouds, and the sky got REALLY dark (down to 20.30 Mag persquare arcminute or something on my sky meter).

Anyway, here goes: M27 Dumbell

OTA: C11 @ f/10

Guiding: SW ED80 + DSI-C + PHD (via EQMOD)

Ha Imaging: QHY8 + MaximDL, 30 x 300s, IDAS

Stacked: DeepSkyStacker

Post Process: ImagesPlus + PSCS2 + Noel Carboni’s AstroTools

(Click on image for larger version)

m27_20080802_small.jpg

While waiting for this sequence to finish, I started playing with the 350D, and this image popped out of the camera earlier today. Some heavy duty light pollution removal, and a two layer composition wth alpha channel, and here is the end result.

(Click on image for larger version)

20080802_star_trails_001_small.jpg

yup, had to be one of the best nights I have ever seen from here in the centre of the country. Shame it was cut short about 1.30am for me.

Nice image Steve, really like the colours of the stars showing through there.

TJ

Great stuff Steve. Things are picking up image wise on the forum. We had some cracking stuff recently.Let's hope it continues.

Only the scope in the 350 image prevents me feeling I'm going to spiral down into Infinity.

Ron. :D

Really nice and deep image Steve, glad you managed to riggle out of the Barbeque to secure that one. The star trail pic looks great with your set up.

I was checking out a possible place in the Forest of Dean for a Star Party for the last 2 nights and I could see from Satellite images that central england looked very clear. I was plagued by high winds and lots of cloud cover scooting across. I had the odd patch of clear skies just enough to see that it had good potential but not long enough to get a decent image.

Regards

Kevin

Bored???? Glad it's not just me, I usually wind up wishing I had about 5 camera/scope combo's on the go.

Is that the best way to catch the Persieds then? Would they shine through a CLS filter does anybody know???

Thanks

Bored???? Glad it's not just me, I usually wind up wishing I had about 5 camera/scope combo's on the go.

Is that the best way to catch the Persieds then? Would they shine through a CLS filter does anybody know???

Thanks

There are normally fireballs which a very bright. But it's all unpredicable as to when the show will be best.

Some years ago after being frustrated by cloud at different (non-perseid) shower I woke at 3am to find the room being imlluminated by flashes seen through the curtains. We went out and watched right to dawn as this meteor shower put on an incredible show with trails across many degrees often in groups of 3 or 4 staying in sight for long seconds. I have no idea what the rate was but it was at least ten a minute. The flashes were so bright that one neighbour seeing then, thought she had gone deaf as there was no thunder with the lightening.

I actually phoned the BAA and asked if anyone else saw anything or if the light show was local. They didn't know but I reckon it was as the Sky at Night later implied that the show in GB was disappointing. With this in mind it's always worth a look - even on the wrong day - which this lot was, being two days early. And, from watching lots of Showers this was a one off - but one that was worth a whole lot of watching with little to show.

Incidentally the one thing that always gets us is the silence - one would at least expect a whoosh - but then these things are 70 miles up.

Archived