Win10 still teeing me off

Davey-T

I've tried to love Win10 but it seems intent on being as annoying as it can be.

After causing me all sorts of hassle I thought I'd got it sorted now after taking 8 of 10 20 minute subs it's turned itself off.

I've set all the power saving settings to never turn off, can't find a setting to stop it shutting down if I close the lid which means it drains the battery quicker than necessary.

Are there any other settings hiding somewhere ?

How come my old obsy laptop running XP Pro will run happily all night gathering subs with the lid closed and Win10 can't.

Dave

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probably going into hibernate and that's not an easy setting to find. Try this:

Press Windows + X keys to open the Power menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).
To disable Hibernate, type: command powercfg/h off

If you go to the Windows control panel, and then power options, in there under advanced settings there is an option to tell the PC what to do when the lid is closed, on mine I have set to hibernate, so to end a computer session all I have to do is close the lid,  the default is to go to sleep, you need to change that to "do nothing"

and that should solve the problem.

try here:

http://www.windows10compatible.com/blog/how-to-configure-windows-10-action-when-laptop-lid-is-closed/

should sort it for you :)

Hmmmm, so worked for 4 hours, then shut down, so it's nothing to do with the settings then, and I would assume it won't be a chip overheating problem either....

assuming all your settings are set to "never" shut down, when either on battery or on mains power, then I am stumped....... :)

18 minutes ago, SkyBound said:

Hmmmm, so worked for 4 hours, then shut down, so it's nothing to do with the settings then, and I would assume it won't be a chip overheating problem either....

assuming all your settings are set to "never" shut down, when either on battery or on mains power, then I am stumped....... :)

I may be wrong, but I believe a laptop disconnected from Mains power shuts down by default at 4 hours. I keep mine connected to power and the battery merely keeps it on during transporting from the house to the garden, or vice-versa.

To avoid the closed top shut down I never close the top. I will at times hinge it down to almost closed, then carry it in or out or round about.

Also, if a laptop is lost, left, or misplaced, having it shut down also requires a pass word to open it. Which helps protect your privacy and data if misplaced or stolen. So not entirely a bad thing.

Is there a valid reason for not having it connected to mains or another power supply? (I use a small inverter away from AC power.)

Your woes may not have diddly to do with Windoze 10... :hiding:But everything to do with normal factory settings to protect the owner.

But then, I look at it like this:

cross-eyed-young-man-23649254.jpg

My Win XP Pro laptop never shuts itself off until the battery goes flat but then I don't think it's battery last for 4 hours.

I've switched off the requirement for a password on wakeup so not much point to that scheme.

Which bit of NEVER doesn't it understand, if I just move the cursor around a bit before  the 4 hours is up it keeps on going, this seems to have always been a Windows problem since the days of when it couldn't tell if the floppy disc had been changed or if you were watching a video it would launch the screensaver because it was incapable of knowing you were watching something, if it knows the imaging camera is running it shouldn't shut down.

The whole point of this rig is for a portable setup away from mains power, at the moment I have a 22ah LifePo Tracer battery just running the mount and a 40ah one doing everything else so if there's no way of stopping it shutting down I'll have to invest in another battery for the laptop.

Don't know why Microsoft think I'm incapable of making my own decisions :grin:

Dave

Is there not a setting to turn off the display?  I wonder if do nothing leaves the display on and then you are overheating?

I know on XP and 8.1 you could just have a laptop turn off the display, which was designed just for these reasons, but I've not looked on 10, but may be worth just checking.

12 minutes ago, RayD said:

Is there not a setting to turn off the display?  I wonder if do nothing leaves the display on and then you are overheating?

I know on XP and 8.1 you could just have a laptop turn off the display, which was designed just for these reasons, but I've not looked on 10, but may be worth just checking.

Thanks Ray will have a look. 

Don't think it's overheating, doesn't appear to generate any heat at all.

I've tried shutting the lid with it set to never turn off when lid is closed but it still shuts off after 4 hours.

Perhaps I should have a screensaver running, maybe it will switch to that and keep going, I've got  Macbook and that just switches to the screensaver and doesn't shut itself down.

Dave

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

Thanks Ray will have a look. 

Don't think it's overheating, doesn't appear to generate any heat at all.

I've tried shutting the lid with it set to never turn off when lid is closed but it still shuts off after 4 hours.

Perhaps I should have a screensaver running, maybe it will switch to that and keep going, I've got  Macbook and that just switches to the screensaver and doesn't shut itself down.

Dave

I'm actually speaking with my IT guy tomorrow Dave so I'll ask him.  He's a MS agent so if anyone knows he will.

Might be worth just having a look at the below article as it seems there is a pre-set 4 hour hibernate feature, set by MS or the OEM, which could be your problem.  It seems this is only a feature on battery power though, so if you're plugged in it's probably not this, but again just worth a look.

W10 hibernate KB article

Had a quick scan of it, looks like it could be relevant though they seem to be concerned about it not hibernating after 4 hours.

I am running on battery but sounds like it will also shut down on mains power.

Dave

Just now, Davey-T said:

Had a quick scan of it, looks like it could be relevant though they seem to be concerned about it not hibernating after 4 hours.

I am running on battery but sounds like it will also shut down on mains power.

Dave

It just seemed to be relevant as you noted it shuts down after 4 hours, so it appears it is possibly hibernation related if this is a factory feature?

Called Hibernate After

The time it takes to cut over to hibernation is called the Hibernate After time and the default setting for this varies by manufacturer. On the Surface 3 (non Pro) it is only four hours. On my Lenovo Yoga 900 hybrid it is only three hours, even worse. I’d say that for any device you use in quick spurts on and off, like a tablet, it should be at least twelve hours so sleep lasts longer. The setting to increase the Hibernate After time is buried relatively deep, and here are the instructions to change it. (by the way, if you make this setting change on a Surface, be sure to do setting #2 below as well).

The Hibernate After Setting Steps

1. Unplug your power cord to ensure that the whatever power plan that corresponds with your battery mode is in effect.
  2. Activate the Start Menu (not just the start screen) and type in “Power & Sleep Settings” (be sure to use the ampersand) and select it. That will open the Settings window to the correct pane.
  3. Ensure Power & Sleep is displayed at the top (or selected on the left if window is wider).
  4. Click Additional Power Settings at the bottom of the main pane.
  5. For the currently active and selected plan, click Change Plan Settings to the right.
  6. On the next screen, click Change Advanced Power Settings at the bottom.
  7. In the Power Options dialog box that opens, Advanced Setting tab, scroll down to Sleep, and expand the commands under it. (If anything from here in steps below on is grayed out, you may need to click the Change Settings that are Currently Unavailable link near the top).
  8. Expand Hibernate After
  9. Change On Battery to 720 minutes (that’s 12 hours), or what seems right to you.
  10. Also, just to be cautious, scroll down to the Battery item and expand that. Then expand Critical Battery Action, and make sure Hibernate is chosen for both On Battery and Plugged In. They should be already set that way, but it’s good to confirm that. This overrides the above timing if your battery is already really low when you put your laptop to sleep.
  11. Click Okay all the way out.

7 minutes ago, RayD said:

I'm actually speaking with my IT guy tomorrow Dave so I'll ask him.  He's a MS agent so if anyone knows he will.

Might be worth just having a look at the below article as it seems there is a pre-set 4 hour hibernate feature, set by MS or the OEM, which could be your problem.  It seems this is only a feature on battery power though, so if you're plugged in it's probably not this, but again just worth a look.

W10 hibernate KB article

Very good RayD. My Toshiba Satellite (for clarity) let's me select Never Shut Down on corded power, but only has about 2 hours of lifespan on battery. So since I use it as my weather station reporting computer, it lives on and online anyway. And stays plugged in. It does have up to 5 hours, and a never setting for battery power. But what's the use with a puney 2 hour battery?

Outside, or on site, it requires a mains power connection, or plugged in over here; or that I run an Inverter to power its plugged in power supply because it requires 19 volts. Such a [removed word] voltage. And I'm not about to haul around two big batteries for that. So an Inverter is my next best option. A 12 volt inverter works off my truck battery in the weeds.

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

Hi Sonny, the reason I bought this netbook for imaging in the field is because of its 8 hour battery life so defeats the object a bit if I have to connect it to an external battery.

Dave

True that, Dave.

The reason I bought my laptop was to have a computer for on the road, not Astronomy. Astronomy just popped up a couple of years ago.

So far, no matter where I go, I don't need a fishing license to do Astro-Imaging. So it offsets the longing for the rod and fly.

And there are WiFi hot spots I can access to do email or web browsing when our star is blocking the view.

I could buy a 12 hour battery for my laptop, but just suffice to plug it in. :wink:

Hi

The usb settings in device manager have power options which I think can switch off their power outputs after a certain time by default. I have a Lenovo Z70 which is fine but I only get 2 hours or so out of the battery - not enough really! It would be nice to have a second battery pack that you could just plug in and double the capacity. I've not seen anything other than a 12v car adaptor.

Louise

I think this is now fixed thanks to Rays post on the hibernation setting buried deep in the Win10 menu system.

Had it running for over 5 hours now and it hasn't shut itself down so hopefully it will keep going for 8 hours.

Just a peculiar astro imaging problem I guess as most laptops wouldn't just sit apparently doing nothing for 8 hours, the OS doesn't appear to be aware that the imaging system is running so shuts down. 

Perhaps imaging programs should be designed to send a wake up call every so often, 

Dave

7 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Perhaps imaging programs should be designed to send a wake up call every so often, 

There used to be a little script called 'keepalive' that we used to run in the background which simulated a mouse movement every little while specifically to stop machines shutting down ... don't know if it still exists though.

AndyG

38 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

the OS doesn't appear to be aware that the imaging system is running so shuts down. 

I've had this happen when using the laptop to control a 3d printer. W 10 shut down after a couple of hours, seemed to think nothing was going on. I'm all for OS's becoming more intelligent, but W 10 is a bit too enthusiastic at times.

Eric.

Archived