Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

tohams

How do I add datafiles to Astrotortilla?

Now that I have Astrotortilla installed (and in use), if I add a scope/sensor, how do I add more data files w/o uninstalling/reinstalling the whole thing? I can't find an option for it. I found a setup for CygWin in "C:\Program Files (x86)\AstroTortilla\setup.exe", but every site I try says setup.ini not found. Any tips? 

Thanks!

You just put them in the same folder as the other files.

I think you can also do it by running the installer again and just installing the files.

Remember to adjust the image scale settings when you change setup.

If I understand you correctly, you don't use Astrotortilla to do it at all. It is simply a matter of downloading the extra index files you require (from here) and placing them in the same directory as the others (which you will have selected when doing your original Astrotortilla installation).

HTH

A question that's sort of along the same lines. If I only plan on imaging 1 target that I've already started, would I be able to put 1 sub in the correct file and remove the rest to speed up plate solving?

11 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

A question that's sort of along the same lines. If I only plan on imaging 1 target that I've already started, would I be able to put 1 sub in the correct file and remove the rest to speed up plate solving?

Not too sure what you are asking there, do you mean removing the data files that Astro tortilla doesn't solve with?  This can speed things up if you find it always fails on a certain set but then solves once it has moved onto the next set.

Just now, D4N said:

Not too sure what you are asking there, do you mean removing the data files that Astro tortilla doesn't solve with?  This can speed things up if you find it always fails on a certain set but then solves once it has moved onto the next set.

Yeah that's pretty much what I'm asking, but removing all of them and having just 1 sub that I have taken in the folder so that's the only sub it looks up.

I'm not sure why astrotortilla would plate solve all of your images.  If you are using the open file dialogue you manually select which image to plate solve then it should sync and slew, you can then capture another image for it to solve to make sure it got to the right spot.

The data files are different, these are indices of star positions that it uses to solve the image.

It's not solving all of my images, it works perfectly fine as it is but just had a thought that may have sped up the process. Maybe I just need a faster laptop. it says solved in 40 odd seconds but it's more like 2-3 minutes. Not a big deal really.

Ah ok, use binning on the camera or if you can't do that there is an option to downscale the images in astrotortilla, this speeds it up significantly.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By sulaco
      Evening folks,
      I recently tried to update Astrotortilla after an OS upgrade and since then I'm just getting the below error message.
      I've tried installing several times also Cygwin but the same message appears.
      Spotted an old post by Gary Jones describing the same thing and fixing it with some of the index files but don't quite follow.
      I'm running Windows 8.1 and it used to work on this machine....but not now.
      Any tips?
      Campbell

• By Demonperformer
      I have just stumbled upon the fact that there is a new version of Astrotortilla (Aug 2016), which has allegedly solved a number of 'bug' issues in v0.7.
      Although I have downloaded and installed it, I have not yet tried it, so cannot comment on any improvements.
      If, like me, you thought all development on this program had stopped, you probably won't go looking for a new version, so thought it worth making people aware.
      Thanks.
    • By Sandancer10
      I have been very busy beavering away in my new obsy so I haven't had much time to come onto to Stargazers Lounge, but when I need help I know somebody on SGL has already encountered the same problems so I'm hoping to be helped with an Idiot's guide to Astrotortilla.
      I don't think it's the setup as I have downloaded all of the index files I need to run it, I also have setup my camera/telescope combination and everything is running okay - except it won't platesolve.  I even gave it a photo of M51, used telescope simulator and even upped the search area to 180deg - still nothing.  Can anybody help me 
    • By uhb1966
      I cant get AT to solve my plates, while astrometry solves IN 1 SEC!
      Astromety.net says:
      +++
      25 reference sources within the image.
      RoR: 315408
      Test stars in RoR: 1137 of 1137
      Good bins: 117 / 117; effA 1.79799e+07 of 1.79799e+07
      Ref stars in RoR: 25 of 25
      Logodds: 216.994
      24 matches, 15 distractors, 0 conflicts (at best log-odds); 1137 field sources, 25 index sources
      24 matches, 1113 distractors, 0 conflicts (all sources)
      Hit/miss: ++-++++++++++-++++++----++-+--------+++(best)-------------------------------------------------------------
      Tweak2: final WCS:
      Found tag-along columns from field: FLUX BACKGROUND
      Field 1: solved with index index-4109.fits.
      Field 1: tried 192 quads, matched 3977 codes.
      Spent 0.96406 s user, 0.012 s system, 0.97606 s total, 0.979876 s wall time.
      Writing 24 rows (of 1137 field and 25 index objects) to correspondence file.
      cx<=dx constraints: 55
      meanx constraints: 807
      RA,Dec constraints: 0
      AB scale constraints: 25
      Spent 0.996413 seconds on this field.
      +++
      Has anybody Any ideas (( ?
    • By uhb1966
      Night 1-first light
      Took me from 2100 to 2330 to set up all the software. Another Hour to setup scope, USB-2-serial, etc. No direct sight to polaris. Put up only rudimentary polar alignment (with compass), then astrotortilla for plate solving. Problem: as i had a massive polar alignment error, i was on target, but with a severe tracking error- exposures of only  5 seconds already showed star trails. Did a nice shot of M42 (orion nebula) nevertheless.

(2 months break due to exceptionally bad weather)

Night 2
      No astrotorilla available as VM software did not start. Setup only 15 minutes, but another 45 minutes to remember how to connect camera correctly to scope (was out of focus because i had a extension in-between that was unnessessary). Setup again roughly to north with compass. Entered coordinates, date,time. Start three star alignment. 4 out of 5 suggested stars covered by house. Repeated 2 times, always the same invisible stars . Sweared. Tried 2-star align, the same. Tried 1-star align-success, much bigger list to choose from for alignment stars. Wondered why on earth the programmer did these inconsistencies. Selected first star, slewed. Far off target. Finally realized that finder scope not correctly attached. Corrected this. Slew speed way too low- another 10 minutes until realized that "rate" button sets slew speed also during alignment. Success. Slewed to second star, aligned. Back to first star and realigned. Back to second star - directly in the crosshairs, mount tracks perfectly (at first sight). Relief. camera mounted and connected to laptop. Start taking images. Relized that there is still some error, but significantly lower than on first try (Okay up to 10-20 seconds). Shot images for hours until Orion reached trees. Happy

Next up: the mystery of tracking with second cam+PHD.... If i live to see the day that we have good weather again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.