SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Using Astrotortilla for Platesolving - Help

I have been very busy beavering away in my new obsy so I haven't had much time to come onto to Stargazers Lounge, but when I need help I know somebody on SGL has already encountered the same problems so I'm hoping to be helped with an Idiot's guide to Astrotortilla.

I don't think it's the setup as I have downloaded all of the index files I need to run it, I also have setup my camera/telescope combination and everything is running okay - except it won't platesolve.  I even gave it a photo of M51, used telescope simulator and even upped the search area to 180deg - still nothing.  Can anybody help me  :help:

Just post the Log. Tools -> Log Viewer. Then Copy and paste it in here.

Thanks for your quick response.  I've just checked the log viewer and it hasn't kept any of the file details, but hopefully it should be clear tomorrow night and when I set it away again I'll put the log onto here. 

• 2 months later...

Update on Astrotortilla - I've now got it working and it's fantastic. It was worth all of the angst trying to get it operating as I now get every object bang in the very small field of view that a Atik 314L+ has.  The problem was I didn't download both index files as the instructions tell you that you don't need both unless you are using a 3 deg or more field of view.  My advice is download everything and if you want to isolate the files you don't need you can move them to a separate file so it doesn't slow the system down while plate solving.  To be honest I just leave everything where it is as it doesn't take much longer to plate solve using all the files.  The other problem was using the exact fov for each combination of camera and scope - don't do this as you spend days trying to figure out why it won't plate solve. Use at least 50% more at each end of the scale eg. if smallest fov of 5mins use 2.5mins and if largest fov 1deg use 1.5deg.  

Archived