Pentax or televues

Timebandit

Hello. I have just seen the news about the televues sale. As you may be aware I have been looking for a first class semi wide angle eyepieces. And have got myself a small collection of pentax XW. But have really been looking for a Pentax 5XW . But with the televues sale on it has crossed my mind to get a 5mm  delite or a 5mm Nagler. Still not sure about this route so I am inffin and arrring about it . So thought I would post a question of two of the great site of SGL about people's thoughts and experiences. Which would provide the sharpest crispiest views out of these. Which in your opinion would be the best to choose and why.

In all fairness I probably would prefer a Pentax 5XW to make a nice line of Pentax. But the sale and people's opinions may change my mind. I wonder if FLO  will hold a sale on Pentax to compete with the televues salee?. Or maybe some other members on SGL may buy an ethos and I will get a pm about a used Pentax for sale later ?

In terms of 5mm, I think that you ought not sway from your preference, as Shane say's go with your instincts, the 5XW is an excellent performer. Quite logical to build a collection of eyepieces in the same line if you are happy with that line. If you are considering any other focal length, the 20% TeleVue discount is tempting.

Interesting to note that the new addition DeLites are listed but currently not yet available as the announcement was fairly recent. Any follow-up discounts later next year and so long as the pound does not sink yet deeper, I would be tempted by a 4mm Delite.

I've owned the 5mm Nagler T6 (along with the other T6's) but the Pentax XW5 is a slightly better optical performer (all you are going to get at these price / quality levels is "slightly") and a little more comfortable to use for me. Ethos is a wee bit better than Naglers too but during the most critical observing that I've done recently I reckon the 5mm and 3.5mm XW's are very slightly better even than the Ethos 4.7 and 3.7 on some targets.

I thought that having my "short set" of XW's (10mm, 7mm, 5mm and 3.5mm) might wean me away from my Ethos 8, 6, 4.7 and 3.7 but it's not quite been the case. Where I'm currently at with these is that they are both superb eyepiece ranges and actually I really enjoy using both but for slightly different reasons, with different scopes and on different targets.

I've owned the 10mm Delos and found it very, very, very similar to the Pentax 10mm XW so a "score draw" there and I currently have the 17.3 Delos which very nicely fills the gap between the 10mm XW and a newly acquired Panoptic 24mm.

Every eyepiece mentioned above is a really excellent piece though and performance differences that I have perceived between them are small indeed, if present at all.

As for the Delites ? - well I've yet to try one. I've read of some variations in their reception across the currently available range but also that some are possible slightly better even than the very high bar set by the Delos / XW's. I'd like to find out for myself in due course :icon_biggrin:

I am (really) trying to stop eyepiece swapping if I can though :rolleyes2:

If you are kicking around the Delite vs XW choice in short focal lengths, focal point might be worth adding to your factors list. The Delite 5mm reaches focus a fair way further outwards than an XW and that can prove a little awkward when viewing at high magnifications if your scope is not driven.

I have been looking for a used XW 5mm or 3.5mm for a while, without success, having owned a 5.2mm XL and still having a 10.5 XL. My eyes can detect no difference between the XW and the earlier XL ranges apart from the XW having a slightly larger 70deg field vs the 65deg field of the XL. 

In my scope a 5mm will give x180, a nice useable high power. I've therefore decided to take the plunge and order the 5mm Delete instead. I've read a number of USA reviews and, for the double star, planets and Lunar  viewing that I will use it for, the reviews of the Delite 5mm lead me to believe that it will be up there with all but the ZAO and XO specialties, but with modern transmission, eye relief and field of view benefits.

I'm not hung up on having whole sets of one brand, though I understand that appeal..my line up will now include TV Delite, VIxen LVW, Pentax XL, Baader Morpheus and ES68, with the LVWs being the only brand I will own 2 of.

For me, any of the above brands are worthy of serious consideration and will deliver pleasing performance:-).

Dave

I would go for the XW5 too. I have the XW10, XW7 and XW5, and use a Delos 8mm as a gap filler between the XW10 and XW7. At first I found this did not work out as I had expected, because the XWs are parfocal, but the Delos 8mm is .25" out. The refocus needed meant I often skipped the Delos on planetary observation. I since got myself a parfocaliser ring, and that solved the problem neatly.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/262067-a-parfocal-planetary-quartet/

I might get a Delite 9mm with parfocaliser ring as well to have even more choice in magnification for planetary. I personally do not like the shorter Naglers necause of their short eye relief (but then I wear glasses whilst observing).

Although I have never looked through a Pentax, I find the Delites to be the best TV's I have ever looked through for all targets. They are the only eyepieces other than cheapish plossls / orthos that I will be buying new as I am so confident I'll keep them long term,

Problem you may have is finding a Pentax 5mm.  Since they have been discontinued unless someone has them in stock (doesn't appear so) it looks like you'll be searching on the used market for one.  Given the TV sale that is on it may be more prudent to go for a 5mm Delos or 5mm Delite?

19 minutes ago, Davesellars said:

Problem you may have is finding a Pentax 5mm.  Since they have been discontinued unless someone has them in stock (doesn't appear so) it looks like you'll be searching on the used market for one.  Given the TV sale that is on it may be more prudent to go for a 5mm Delos or 5mm Delite?

Hello. I think John has been saying a similar thought. I did contact FLO and their thoughts on this matter is Pentax has no plans to discontinue this eyepiece?

So as far as I am aware these eyepieces are still available ?

But from what I can see in the FLO Black Friday deals unfortunately none on sale at the moment ?, seems mostly binoculars and Astro photography kit ,which is a bit disappointing.

28 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

Hello. I think John has been saying a similar thought. I did contact FLO and their thoughts on this matter is Pentax has no plans to discontinue this eyepiece?

So as far as I am aware these eyepieces are still available ?

But from what I can see in the FLO Black Friday deals unfortunately none on sale at the moment ?, seems mostly binoculars and Astro photography kit ,which is a bit disappointing.

Ah, will be interesting to see if they come back in then.... perhaps just a hitch in production or long shipping wait.... the whole Pentax XW line is pretty much out of stock everywhere. After John mentioned it in another thread I looked it up and the peeps at CloudyNights seemed to have the opinion this and the 3.5mm was discontinued.

I have had a few Pentax's and many TeleVues, two that you talk about as it happens, in the shape of 5mm XW and 5mm Nagler. I had these at the same time and would say the Pentax was best, though not my much. However from what I have read the new De-lite range turns the volume to 11 as Spinal Tap would say. That said I have not seen anything on the 5mm which is fairly new.

Really don't think you can go wrong with the Pentax.

Alan

Archived