NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cederblad 214 *an interesting mix of data*

swag72

This is Cederblad 214....... not very interesting you may say, but here's the data story.

The Ha and the detail for the over all image was a 2 pane mosaic from the ODK10. Sadly due to various reason I never got to get the OIII or SII data to colourise this image, so..... I used data from the Tak FSQ85 at 330mm focal length to merge with the 1.7m Ha data. Not only that, but the data from the Tak was also a 2 pane mosaic and it was SII as I just didn't get the weather or conditions to capture OIII data as well. I've never used SII alone to make a bi colour image either.

I welcome all comments on this - Once again it has sat on my PC for a few days while I mull it over and make small changes here and there. As there's been no change for 2 days it must be about done :)

If that's all a little confusing I'll add an image when I've done it to give you an idea of the scales I was combining in order to get this colour image!

Details
Mount: Mesu 200
Scope: ODK10 and Takahashi FSQ85 0.73x
Camera: QSI683 with 3nm Ha and SII filters

2 panes of Ha at 23 hours and 2 panes of SII at 16 hours - Totalling 39 hours in total.

You can see a larger res version on my website here

NGC7822_SGL.jpg

No reason why SII shouldn't be used for a bi-colour image as you have shown above, however, SII is often so weak that it brings little to the table - hence my own preference for conventional bi-colour over Hubble Palette - but it has worked well in this unusual image. Nice!

3 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

No reason why SII shouldn't be used for a bi-colour image as you have shown above, however, SII is often so weak that it brings little to the table - hence my own preference for conventional bi-colour over Hubble Palette - but it has worked well in this unusual image. Nice!

In this case, the OIII was so much weaker than the SII - I was totally surprised hence my decision to use the SII and not bother with any more OIII data collection.... it was getting tedious :)

@johnfosteruk - Thanks! 

Here's an image I've quickly drawn up to give you an idea of the data I was merging. 

The inner box is the 2 pane mosaic from the ODK10 and the outer data is the 2 pane SII mosaic from the Tak FSQ85. I thought that this was an interesting visual as it can sometimes get lost when we talk about merging different focal lengths just what we're dealing with.

I've left the rough edges so you can see the mosaic as well :)

Ced214_data mix_SGL.jpg

Hi Sara

I think it looks good, I often revert back to 'colour' be it RGB our SHO from old images at different focal lengths just to combat the lack of skies.

You seem to have done a nice job capturing the colour variations across the image and it's not lacking for any detail.  As you say OIII is the weakest channel, if you want a little more fun I have a NII frame you could play with as well.

Here is the raw data, I used to support the OIII a little but very similar to the Ha data.

2016-11-20_21-21-36.jpg

I feel another hybrid version is on the cards with some new HA here now.

Paddy

I'd never thought of swapping colour mapping like that, it certainly makes for a more exciting image seems to have worked really well in this example. I'm not sure it would work quite as well for all targets though! SII usually sits on top of the Ha channel (from what I've seen) and is generally useful for adding 'body' to it - by that I mean the brighter highlights get a deeper red shade. I haven't noticed SII differentiating the centre of Sh2-171 in quite that way before... The OIII is rather pathetic but is located in those areas certainly.

This was my 3-channel effort from some years ago (to compare distributions), I left 50% of the Green in rather than remove it all

Sh2-171%20HST%20001_zpsawj4tngc.jpg

ChrisH

That seems to have worked Well Sara.  I often combine images from different scopes and cameras either using my dual rig or data from different years (good old Registar), but I can't say I have had quite such a huge size difference as in this image.  

Great work as usual.

Carole 

Archived