Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ha with a DSLR (My nemesis The Wizard )

simmo39

With the moon playing its games again I thought I would have a go with my Ha filter again. I went for the Wizard again as Im still not happy with my first attempts in RGB. I managed to get an hours worth of data before the clouds stopped play. Im still not sure if im processing the data correctly but am pleased with the Ha image as only 25% of the pixels are being used. The image is a little noisy but you can clearly see its the wiz.

Taken with my modded canon 600D through my SW 130 pds 12 x 6 mins at 800.

integration1_R_zps6a8k68sl.jpg

And here is the RGB data combined with the Ha, Still not totally happy with this one but at least i think i got the stars under control this time.

NBRGBCombinationcrop_zpsqpwenrhj.jpg

Hints and tips most welcome.

Very nice effort indeed, the slr appears to be working nice

the only advice I would give is try and go for more data

probably double or more on what you have already captured

that will get rid of most of the noise, and try not to over stretch the image

to much that will also help.

Maybe try and add some more data to what you already have

otherwise very nicely done 

Paul

14 hours ago, ultranova said:

Very nice effort indeed, the slr appears to be working nice

the only advice I would give is try and go for more data

probably double or more on what you have already captured

that will get rid of most of the noise, and try not to over stretch the image

to much that will also help.

Maybe try and add some more data to what you already have

otherwise very nicely done 

Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for the comment, Lack of data and over stretch is the story of my life! lol. The lack of data was not for trying but i will add more as and when the weather lets me. Im using the wiz as an experiment as I want to try the Ha filter on the Orion Neb when it clears the house next door. Im thinking of getting an Olll fiter too and see what I can pick up with that on my trusty canon.

Not bad at all and very interesting to see that Ha with a DSLR with a Bayer mask is still possible and may work quite well if you only increase the amount of data (maybe you need to aim at 4 times more data compared to a mono camera, clouds allowing).

1 hour ago, Xplode said:

Pretty good :)

During processing did you remove the green and blue channels before stacking? If not they contribute a lot of noise to your final image.

Hi Xplode, yes i removed the green and blue channels, i was assuming that was the correct way of doing. Should I add the other 2 channels?

1 hour ago, PeterCPC said:

Great image with a DSLR. This was my effort with my 1200d using a UHC-E filter (no Ha). This was about an hours exposure in total before the clouds rolled in.

Peter

wizarda_filtered.jpg

V nice, you seem to have the stars well under control. My first attempt at the Wiz I couldnt seem to get small stars but since adding the Ha data It seems to control them better.

28 minutes ago, simmo39 said:

Hi Xplode, yes i removed the green and blue channels, i was assuming that was the correct way of doing. Should I add the other 2 channels?

Yes you did correct :)

Seems a little noisy to me, but you probably just need more exposure time as it's just a little over 1 hour. 

If you won't already dither make sure to look into doing that so noise will be stacked away easier. For it to be most effective you need at least 3-4 dithers per session

Archived