NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Early days with new camera and no real kit

Not a patch on some of the images you smart peeps on the forum come up with but a good start for me with the new camera and a tripod.

The Great rift through Cygnus.

Canon eos 550d (unmodded) Tripod, Backyard Eos and coffee.

30x10s 24mm f/2.8 EFS pancake iso 1600 stacked in DSS

Need more practice on post processing.

Dave...

Cyg.jpg

Thats a good start, you seem to have nailed the focus nicely which is the key to getting a good image. I would suggest some flats would be beneficial for this type of target or you could even try the lens correction data if your lens is listed in eos utils as a quick fix.

The main thing is keep having the coffee it helps.

Alan

2 minutes ago, RayD said:

Nice Dave.  I've just bought a 50mm f1.8 lens for my 450d with a hope of getting something quite similar (albeit not a wide FOV), so this is nice to see :thumbright:

Thanks Ray.

I chose the canon 24mm f/2.8 because I also intend to do nightscape photography so needed the wider field of view. And at £127 it was a bargain and within my limited budget.

Dave...

1 minute ago, Alien 13 said:

Thats a good start, you seem to have nailed the focus nicely which is the key to getting a good image. I would suggest some flats would be beneficial for this type of target or you could even try the lens correction data if your lens is listed in eos utils as a quick fix.

The main thing is keep having the coffee it helps.

Alan

I agree.  I get a fair bit of vignetting which would benefit from the flats.  I did about 10 darks.  Problem was I'd just got back from work and only had about a half hour as the cloud was rolling in.  I'm currently constructing a lightbox device to do the flats.

...oh! and I can't function without coffee. :laugh2:

Dave...

1 hour ago, todd8137 said:

Are those yellow lines local to you ? Nev seen those in the milkynway before ?

Yep. Specially installed where I live so us poor dummies can find things easier.  :laugh2:

4 hours ago, bunnygod1 said:

Certainly a nice start, with plenty of stars visible. 

I wonder whether it might be worth trying a lower ISO, maybe 800 and a longer exposure, perhaps 15-20 seconds?

It was a bit of a grab and go with the new camera as the weather window wasn't great.  When the weather improves I intend to do a series of images at differing iso and exposure times to get a good picture of it's limits.

Dave...

I sense we are on a parallel learning path? :p

Never sure about the etiquette of unsolicited processing
others' stuff, but couldn't resist (24mm pancake user!) ;)

IRIS gradient removal, and (of course) "clipped a bit"! :D

justfun.jpg

I *claim* THIS region is not an easy widefield? :evil4:

Really don't mind others playing with my pics.  My post proc skills are a bit lacking at the moment so it's nice to see what else is in the images.

My main problem at the moment is lack of time (and the weather) As I finish work at 11pm it's a race to set up and play (and eat of course).

But. So long as I get some results it's enough to feed my fire. :icon_biggrin:  I don't mind having just the basic kit as I get to really explore techniques in greater detail before moving on.

Cheers for the input!! :thumbsup:

Dave...

Yey great first image.

I use my 7 inch android tablet for flats using the app lightbox. If time is pressing you might want to do flats and bias and drop darks and see if that works if I get out there I'm going to try that.

Exposure length can be variable depending on where you point your camera.

Have fun, and bring on clear evenings 

2 hours ago, employee2-4601 said:

Beautiful shot. Just got my first DSLR, so I'm hoping to get out there meself before too long.

I may have missed it in the comments, but what format did you shoot in? (JPEG, RAW?)

I always shoot raw as jpeg automatically employs sharpening and is a lossy compression format which means valuable data is always lost.  Raw contains every photon the sensor captures along with a whole host of other information which stacking software can use.

3 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Yey great first image.

I use my 7 inch android tablet for flats using the app lightbox. If time is pressing you might want to do flats and bias and drop darks and see if that works if I get out there I'm going to try that.

Exposure length can be variable depending on where you point your camera.

Have fun, and bring on clear evenings 

As the weather hasn't been great I've been amassing a library of bias, darks and flats at differing iso's exposure and temperatures.  Usually I try to do the darks during the same session.

3 hours ago, Nova2000 said:

If I'm not wrong I can see the North American nebula in Dave 's image. 

OOh!!  Must look into this.  That really would be a cracking bonus.  Cheers for that! :thumbsup:

Archived