Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 with 1hr 30mins

Maximidius

his is a quick 1hr 30 mins or 18 x 300 secs at ISO 800 with the cooled DSLR. I have reprocessed this so many times i have actually lost count, my eyes hurt from staring at the screen and as such i turn it over to you guys. It was windy too, seeing wasn't great and there was some high level clouds plus, as always, RH was very high. Kit used HEQ5 Pro, SWED80 0.8 FF/FR, Canon 550D full spec and cooled, IDAS MFA D1 Filter. I tried not to use too much NR and as Paddy recommended better star control, i paid attention and tried to control them better. I may have overdone the star colours though. I wish i could have had more time on target, but we get what we can take. It's not pretty but i am happy given the limited time. 

M31 Andromeda Galaxy 07-10-16 small.jpg

20 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

For a DSLR, 90min and an 80ed - thats about as good as you can get... well done!

Thanks Uranium235 :) .... I'll be honest, once i get stuck into processing i never know if it's good or not, after a while all i see is faults. I hope I'm getting better though. 

13 minutes ago, subhas barma said:

Cool, like it. So, very hardworking.

Indeed, I've kinda reached my limit lol. But thank you. 

1 hour ago, Maximidius said:

Thanks Uranium235 :) .... I'll be honest, once i get stuck into processing i never know if it's good or not, after a while all i see is faults. I hope I'm getting better though. 

Indeed, I've kinda reached my limit lol. But thank you. 

I'm the same, work at an image, post it and want to change it. :icon_biggrin:

Quite often my original work of art looks rubbish after I post it.

Anyway, it's not a bad M31 for the time you have spent, better than all the ones I have done.

14 minutes ago, wxsatuser said:

I'm the same, work at an image, post it and want to change it. :icon_biggrin:

Quite often my original work of art looks rubbish after I post it.

Anyway, it's not a bad M31 for the time you have spent, better than all the ones I have done.

Lol it is tough isn't it, i've had to stop looking at it or im gonna go crazy. It's easy to forget it's only 90 mins when you're trying squeeze every last photon from it.  Thanks buddy :) 

Hi Maximidius, I suffer from that myself, I've never quite finish an image :icon_biggrin:

The core is nicely controlled, the dust lanes are there and have structure. It might be worth adding a bit more data to it but looks nice already and a lot better than my last attempt.

If you work with imaging software that can handle layers then you can perform noise reduction on a top layer, then remove areas from the noise reduced layer where detail exists to reveal the layer below. That way you get to keep the detail and reduce noise where there is none.

20 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Excellent work for the limited data set well done. Paddy

It is tough over this side of the world. Japan has a considerable amount of cloud, typhoons, humidity and heat. I have literally been clouded in for 3 months and the night I took this was in between 90% cloud cover. Winter is almost upon us and the temperature is dropping as is the humidity and cloud cover. I pray that i can get some more imaging time. Even the Japanese astronomers have been complaining about the cloud cover this year, with quite a lot selling their gear. To be honest though, the night i took this i said to myself that i should stay on it for the night. But i decided to have a bash on M33 as i haven't got a decent image of M33, still haven't lol. In hindsight i should have stuck with either M31 or M33 and not tried both! 

2 hours ago, Robp said:

Hi Maximidius, I suffer from that myself, I've never quite finish an image :icon_biggrin:

The core is nicely controlled, the dust lanes are there and have structure. It might be worth adding a bit more data to it but looks nice already and a lot better than my last attempt.

If you work with imaging software that can handle layers then you can perform noise reduction on a top layer, then remove areas from the noise reduced layer where detail exists to reveal the layer below. That way you get to keep the detail and reduce noise where there is none.

Yep, and I'll bet you find yourself looking at images you 'finished' a year ago and think - Maybe i could change this or change that lol.... indeed they'll never be finished :) 

Thanks for the suggestion. I do use PS and now the tool set that Olly mentioned. I'm no expert though, so your comment is definitely food for thought. :) 

Archived