Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dslr connection to Newtonian

Hello

Can I ask what is the current wisdom to connect a Dslr to a Newtonian. I have a skywatcher 150pds. Is the right way to try and achieve prime focus? Or is it advisable to use a Barlow? And if this is the case does it need to be a good one if it's for imaging? Obviously this will be used in conjunction with a coma corrector Baader. 

I have no idea what gives the best results in Astrophotography and as I haven't bought them yet I would like to hear your ideas. 

I notice for example there is a standard celestron Barlow but also ED types and others. 

My camera is a Canon 550d. 

Thanks. 

I agree with Louise.  I have the SW200P and use just a T-ring.  I'm not using a coma corrector and can see the stars elongating slightly at the edges of the field, but at this stage of my progression I'm still very happy with it.  I have the coma corrector and a HA filter on my wish list for xmas/birthday :icon_biggrin:  

John

On September 28, 2016 at 18:46, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

With the 150pds the simplest approach is to connect at prime focus via a suitable t-ring. You will probably want to include a coma corrector at some point though you can go without to start off.

Louise

With the coma corrector can I use the 2" T ring? They say you get less vignetting that way. Is the baader 2 inch?

On September 30, 2016 at 14:01, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

I guess you mean M48 rather than standard T? I think so! TBH I can't remember. However FLO do this.

Louise

No what I mean is this. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/flo-2-inch-t-mount-camera-adapter.html

I have bought that because I read that using the 2 inch stops vignetting.

So my next question is. What else do I need to connect this to my camera and a Baader coma corrector and what order do they go? I have a canon 550d if that helps. 

Is it from the telescope the above 2" t ring then baader? Then camera or a different order?

44 minutes ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

No what I mean is this. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/flo-2-inch-t-mount-camera-adapter.html

I have bought that because I read that using the 2 inch stops vignetting.

So my next question is. What else do I need to connect this to my camera and a Baader coma corrector and what order do they go? I have a canon 550d if that helps. 

Is it from the telescope the above 2" t ring then baader? Then camera or a different order?

Hi

As I recall, you should already have one of those with the 150pds kit. In any case, the Baader MPCC goes straight into the focus tube. Coma correctors are often designed to attach directly to dslrs so you have camera -> t-ring -> coma corrector -> focus tube. It's a long time since I used my pds scopes - they have been gathering dust! - but I'm sure someone else can confirm (or you can check with FLO) :)

Louise

• 2 months later...

I have the 150pds with cc and dslr

Louise is right: dslr - t-ring - cc - (lp filter) - focus tube. without the coma corrector , I have used an adaptor similar to what you (@Gerry Casa Christiana) posted earlier, if using a lp filter.

I always forget whether thread size is m42 or m48; too much like plumbing for me, with those different sizes.

Cheers,

On 30/09/2016 at 11:25, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

With the coma corrector can I use the 2" T ring? They say you get less vignetting that way. Is the baader 2 inch?

I am using the Celestron 0.63 coma corrector/focal reducer on the 200PDS with 2" t-ring.

Skywatcher 0.9x Coma Corrector

Skywatcher DSLR-M48 Ring AdapterChoose: Canon EOS

Archived