Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

focuser loose on ED120

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the focuser on an ed120.

I bought one 3 weeks ago and have only managed to get it on the mount once.

I noticed that when I was looking through the eyepiece and trying to focus,as soon as my finger touched the focuser wheel the image jerked to one side and then I let go it went back.

not really happy about this as ive paid over £1000 for the scope tube alone and its really hard to achieve correct focus because as soon as I start to use the focuser the image jerks about,i don't think that this is normal and I'm on the verge of returning it to rvo and seeing what can be done about it.

I'm not prepared to spend that amount of money on a piece of equipment and have this happen every time I want to use it.

Is the whole focuser lose or is it just the draw tube? In either case there are adjusting/tightening screws which should sort the problem. It should not be like this new out of the box though, so perhaps let RVO sort it out? You should certainly give them a call in the first instance to discuss it.

42 minutes ago, Stu said:

Is the whole focuser lose or is it just the draw tube? In either case there are adjusting/tightening screws which should sort the problem. It should not be like this new out of the box though, so perhaps let RVO sort it out? You should certainly give them a call in the first instance to discuss it.

It seems to me stu like the whole focuser because when i touch the focusing wheel it jerks and also when the draw tube is extended out it feels loose like theres a few millimetres of play in it.

32 minutes ago, MBJ said:

It seems to me stu like the whole focuser because when i touch the focusing wheel it jerks and also when the draw tube is extended out it feels loose like theres a few millimetres of play in it.

In that case I would contact RVO tomorrow and arrange for it to be returned and replaced. Whilst the standard focuser on the 120ED is not exactly a moonlite, it is perfectly adequate and should not do what you are describing. Speak to RVO

I had an issue with my focuser on my newly acquired Altai Astro 102mm f5 refractor after damage to the focuser by the courier, where it was loose, and also extremely tight to turn, so got it sent back straight away for the company to replace the focuser. I would do the same with your as it is a new scope, and get It looked at by the company you bought it off. The damage could have occurred in transit possibly just like mine did, and for a £1000 scope it needs to be better than it is. Got my frac back now and getting great views from it.

Yes, I agree with the above:  New equipment should work correctly straight out of the box. Don't try to adjust it yourself. That is quite a critical ebdeavour and if damaged, your warranty is void. 
Let the one who sold it to you repair or adjust it on their risc, not yours.

Waldemar

By the sound of things it could well be a faulty focuser, or; just need adjusting, but whatever the case, RVO should send a courier to collect the scope for repair. The responsibility for checking simple things like that should have been carried by RVO before dispatch. It is no wonder customers get infuriated when this happens :hmh: 

50 minutes ago, glowjet said:

By the sound of things it could well be a faulty focuser, or; just need adjusting, but whatever the case, RVO should send a courier to collect the scope for repair. The responsibility for checking simple things like that should have been carried by RVO before dispatch. It is no wonder customers get infuriated when this happens :hmh: 

In fairness to RVO the product was probably never in their possession but drop shipped to the OP.

However I'm sure RVO will sort the problem.

4 hours ago, Astro Imp said:

In fairness to RVO the product was probably never in their possession but drop shipped to the OP.

However I'm sure RVO will sort the problem.

Im sure ian and adam check as many things as possible.

When i went to pick the scope and mount up it looked like they had only just arrived at rvo from the supplier so in fairness to rvo on this occassion im not blaming anyone.

The service ive receieved from them in the past has been excellent and i would recommend them to anyone.

Im sure they will sort it one way or another.

turns out that it wasnt the focuser on the scope,its play in the heq5 head.allowing the scope to move a fraction to the side when the focuser is touched.

its going back tomorrow for them to have a look at.

Good news (sort of). At least you have a reason. I thought what you were saying sounded odd. Usually the problem with these focusers is the tension screw which allows the drawtube to gradually move outwards under load (eg pointed at zenith) but usually there's no waggle which would move the view about.

16 hours ago, MBJ said:

turns out that it wasnt the focuser on the scope,its play in the heq5 head.allowing the scope to move a fraction to the side when the focuser is touched.

its going back tomorrow for them to have a look at.

Great you found the problem and the solution :-)

Waldemar

Archived