NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

astronomy magazine's ????

Hi

Although I have not bought a magazine for a long time now I have been thinking about starting to buy one or two astronomy magazine's, but I guess there will be a few to choose from, so I would like you opinion's on the mags and which is best and value for money if you would be so kind

Thanks

MARK

I used to get Astronomy Now then swapped over to Sky at Night - I am just about to cancel my subscription to Sky at Night - its gone seriously downhill - the last but one had postcards you might send if you visited other planets !!!

I have learnt a LOT more from this forum than either magazine.

12 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

I used to get Astronomy Now then swapped over to Sky at Night - I am just about to cancel my subscription to Sky at Night - its gone seriously downhill - the last but one had postcards you might send if you visited other planets !!!

I have learnt a LOT more from this forum than either magazine.

been and got Astronomy Now thb and yes I agree I have learnt a lot on this forum and there are lots of people willing and happy to answer any questions and give advise

I usually get to look at several astronomy magazines each month from the UK, the USA and occasionally one from Australia and Canada.

Generally I find them rather repetitive - mostly they will cover the same upcoming astronomical events, space news is usually the same press releases issued by NASA, the European Space Agency etc. Advertisements generally come from the big companies and are similar, and equipment reviews generally deal with kit supplied by these same big companies and, frankly, I doubt them to be totally impartial.

Personally I feel there is much better information available on the Internet starting with this site :icon_biggrin:. Still, I enjoy flicking through paper and a half-decent magazine does help to pass the time on a long and boring bus journey!

Sky & Telescope's readership dropped when they started doing more 'sensationalist' articles - here in the USA. Astronomy magazine became the #1. astro-magazine here. And this was a good thing, in my view. Reason being: S & T has gone back to more hard-fact type of articles, and is now my favorite astro-mag.

Your mileage may vary,

Dave

Archived