Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

my first DSO: NGC 5139

-ChoJin-

Hello, this is my first DSO, taken while on vacations at the Réunion french Island.

Unfortunately I screwed up the ICC profile while exporting to flickr, so the core has a little less details than what I have in PixInsight. I'll be more careful next time.

- Taken with a Takahashi Epsilon 210mm/628mm on an Astrophysics 900 and a Canon 6D (unmodified)
- Total integration time 10min: 10x60s lights RGB @ ISO 800, 10x60s darks, 11 flats, 10 bias
- Processed with PixInsight

Omega Centauri - NGC 5139 - Cropped

you can see the full frame here (where you have a few faint galaxy, such as NGC 5064, top right, but there are a few others):

Omega Centauri - NGC 5139

2 hours ago, celestron8g8 said:

Very nice capture ! How long have you have that setup rig (scope and mount) ??

Unfortunately this is not my rig, my grand cousin is directing the Island's astronomical observatory, I therefore had access to all their rigs (including the D=60cm bigass telescope ^^ ) while on vacations. This also had the benefit of having a very good polar alignment already ready for me. From this rig only the camera canon 6D was mine and the (post)processing too :) 

Unfortunately the weather at night wasn't good during my stay and when it was, the moon was full (that night included). that's why I shot this very bright star cluster instead of a nebula.

My current rig is much more modest: it is a newtonian skywatcher quattro 10" f4 (1000mm) telescope with an NEQ6 goto mount and a orion starshoot guider (with the 50mm orion guide scope) but I have yet to use it for any imaging. I'm hoping to do a first astrophoto with it in the next few weeks if the weather and my schedule let me.

Anyway, thanks a lot for all the kind words :)

Very stunning.

I have seldomly seen such sharp stars!

It seems that slightly undersampling (if i'm calculating your imaging scale correctly) works wonders for globulars and starfields in terms of crispness or am i misjudging the effect?

Kind regards, Graem

On 8/22/2016 at 08:12, graemlourens said:

Very stunning.

I have seldomly seen such sharp stars!

It seems that slightly undersampling (if i'm calculating your imaging scale correctly) works wonders for globulars and starfields in terms of crispness or am i misjudging the effect?

Kind regards, Graem

The canon 6D has 6.55um pixels, so with the takahashi's focal length of 628mm, the resolution should be 2.15arcsec/pixel

I also did a drizzle 2x2 during processing, which therefore virtually gives me a resolution of 1arcsec/pixel (if I understand the drizzle properly)

but i have no clue what the seeing was that night. When you're saying "undersampling", which target resolution did you have in mind?

Archived