Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

August 7th - A thrilling HA Eleven Minutes - Fab Prominences, Wonderful New Filament in SE * Pic Added

paulastro

What a wonderful eleven minutes I had between 9.00 am and 9.11 am this morning between clouds.  The long arc of prominences visible for the last couple of days in the SE are now well developed, with a beautiful dark broad filament preceding and parallel to it.  It may be that the prominences seen in the last two days were from the new filament, and the arc of prominences now visible is a new line of proms from what may become another fine filament when it moves onto the disk.  Whatever the case, it sure looks impressive.  The long 'pillar' prominence seen yesterday is still strong in the NW along with another couple of filaments, and there is a wonderful 'smokestack' filament in the SW. There is also a faint bit of detached prominence  to the S of the arc of prominences in the SE just visible in the image taken on 1/5 sec.

Single frames taken with the Lunt 60 DS and Olympus E-M10 on 500 asa and all taken at 9.11 am before I lost the sun to cloud.  The first taken on 1/60. the second on 1/30 and the third on 1/5 second.

I'm hoping that, as forecast, I have some more clear spells later.  If you have the chance, look now.

**Added a more contrasty version of the first image.

P8070365a.jpgP8070374a.jpg

P8070371a.jpg

P8070365c.jpg

32 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Good catch Paul, proms looking good, forecast to clear here later as well, no sign of it ATM.

Dave

I hope it clears for you Dave, I'm still waiting for another chance myself - now 11.41 am.

15 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Paul I have now had a look with the PST. Some very interesting Proms and its interesting to have the sunspots as well.

Hooray, I'm delighted you've managed to see it.  I'm still waiting for my second view of it!

Archived