Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

August 5th - H Alpha - Nice Arc of Prominences in SE

paulastro

I was up early, fortunate as it turned out, as I only had from 6.26 to 6.34 before cloud came across the low sun. 100% cloudy now, despite forecast for a fairly sunny day.  A quiet disk for HA, though there are a couple of active areas and still a strong filament approaching the W limb.  The single strong prominence is still visible in the NW, and there is a nice long arc of hedgerow prominences in the SE.  This could be quite spectacular as it comes further onto the disk if we are lucky.

Single frames with Lunt 60 DS and Olympus E-M10 at 500 asa.  First frame taken at 6.28 am on 1/80 and the prominence frames at 6.27 am on 1/30.

P8050206b.jpgP8050191a.jpgP8050191b.jpgP8050191c.jpg

1 hour ago, bunnygod1 said:

Nicely captured,  I also was up and it was a nice surprise to see that large group of proms. More A/R'a on the way by the look of those.

I was surprised as well Pete, I'm getting all excited now, especially as it looks as if tomorrow will be sunny for most of us - by which time the prominences will have rotated towards us a bit more and hopefully be even more impressive :smile:.

17 minutes ago, paulastro said:

It's really nice, I'm glad you've had a view.  It's been cloudy here since my post. (or very hazy sun!)

Looked at it for about 2 hrs on my PST before the clouds rolled in again. It was too low in the sky for the ROR obsy and the Lunt 50

Nice image Paul, such dedication does pay off.  The fili-prom is still providing excellent views and I notice we have two spot groups now 2570 and 2571, each made up of several small spots, you have got the ARs in your full disc but the spots might have been lost in Ha, they are quite small.

Robin

1 hour ago, DrRobin said:

Nice image Paul, such dedication does pay off.  The fili-prom is still providing excellent views and I notice we have two spot groups now 2570 and 2571, each made up of several small spots, you have got the ARs in your full disc but the spots might have been lost in Ha, they are quite small.

Robin

Many thanks Robin.  I did look to see if I could see any of the spots, I nearly kidded myself I could see something, but it was almost certainly wishful thinking :smile:.  Tomorrow is forecast clear for many areas of the UK, so hopefully lots of our colleagues will have some good views, and some good images too.

Archived