Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Veil in RGB

peter shah

It feels like an age since I've posted in this section. My life all of a sudden became too busy pushing aside my imaging....It must be well over a year and a half......way too long!.....

I've recently been busy getting my set up ready for the new season hoping to dive in head first with no distractions. 

Just as a warm up I pulled out some old data to remind myself how to process. The witches Broom and Pickering's Triangle 6x600 in red, 6x420 in green and 6x530 in blue

Taken with my AG12 and H35 starlight Xpress

Thanks for looking

Peter

Veil in RGB.jpg

25 minutes ago, D4N said:

It's really nice seeing the natural star colour, I'm so used to seeing this in bicolour Ha/OIII.

Peter really made me think about stellar processing because his images have always had such wonderful stars. Nothing has changed! This is tremendous and has no NB input yet.

Really great to see you back Peter. You've been badly missed.

Olly

Thank you everyone. I love doing RGB but a little bit of narrow band  to enhance doesn't hurt. I've got a full new set of narrow band filters completely unused just haven't got around to doing any yet, when I say new I mean 3years old still in the boxes.

You are too kind Olly, Ive missed my imaging very much nice to have a little more time now, just need the skies.

Not sure but my desktop monitor looks brighter to my other PC's screen. it looks a little dark on my other PC's. I possibly need to calibrate my screen. is an adjusted version a fraction brighter.

Veil in RGB.jpg

Really great image,looking very natural.

I,ved noticed even with your previous images you tend not to use a Luminance, is there a reason for this.

I also tend to do RGB, mainly because it cuts down on time,but some objects are really to faint for this.

Mick. 

1 hour ago, astro mick said:

Really great image,looking very natural.

I,ved noticed even with your previous images you tend not to use a Luminance, is there a reason for this.

I also tend to do RGB, mainly because it cuts down on time,but some objects are really to faint for this.

Mick. 

I don't know what Peter thinks but I would say if that if you are not aiming to go too deep then RGB does save time. Once you decide to go deeper, though, Lulminance is faster than more RGB when it comes to the faint stuff.

Olly

This is a fantastic image Peter - I have always thought of you as THE person when it comes to stars, their processing and colours - Top notch and it's great to see that you've not lost your touch at all. A taster for the season to come I hope :)

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

I don't know what Peter thinks but I would say if that if you are not aiming to go too deep then RGB does save time. Once you decide to go deeper, though, Lulminance is faster than more RGB when it comes to the faint stuff.

Olly

Thanks Olly,well explained.

Mick.

7 hours ago, astro mick said:

Thanks Olly,well explained.Mick.

8 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Olly

I would say pretty much the same as Olly. Most of the time I start with the RGB then add Luminance then/or Ha. Unless I have a particular plan for a certain object. I do sometimes add my RGB data to my Luminance data too which is one reason why I bin everything at 1x1. The other reason is that my camera and Maxim acquisition doesn't get on well at 2x2. But I do find 1x1 useful to help increase signal in some instances. I also use a method of creating a pseudo Luminance layer with the RGB which allows me to give the RGB data a harder noise reduction without loosing sharpness. You cant go nuts with it as it has a tendency to bleed out the colour or go blotchy. With RGB it is very important to get a good set of flats, I always do fresh flats after every session.

1 hour ago, peter shah said:

I would say pretty much the same as Olly. Most of the time I start with the RGB then add Luminance then/or Ha. Unless I have a particular plan for a certain object. I do sometimes add my RGB data to my Luminance data too which is one reason why I bin everything at 1x1. The other reason is that my camera and Maxim acquisition doesn't get on well at 2x2. But I do find 1x1 useful to help increase signal in some instances. I also use a method of creating a pseudo Luminance layer with the RGB which allows me to give the RGB data a harder noise reduction without loosing sharpness. You cant go nuts with it as it has a tendency to bleed out the colour or go blotchy. With RGB it is very important to get a good set of flats, I always do fresh flats after every session.

Yup, lots of similar thinking from me as well, though I find I get away with murder on second hand flats!  I think a fast reflector is a different kettle of fish on flats, though. Less tolerant.

Olly

3 hours ago, peter shah said:

Thanks Peter,as you say,in the same camp as Olly.

Stunning image though.

Mick.

I like the first one better for the stars, and the second one better for the Nebula (stars look a bit brighter and larger in the second--just a tad).  But both are awe inspiring.  

Rodd

Archived