Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon modifications

Montana

I'd like to buy a Canon 450D to do some deep sky stuff and also view a solar eclipse with. I'd like it modified to remove the IR filter. Does anyone recommend a good place to send it to for the modification as I have heard horror stories about dust? or is it best to by one already modded for eg from here http://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/

Not sure what is best to do, any help would be very much appreciated 

Alexandra

• 2 weeks later...

I did  my 1000D too. It is not a difficult job,  and the are step step guides to doing  it.   However,  I stress that extreme care is essential,  a pill tray to place the screws removed in marked compartments will ensure the procedure to reverse the dismantling process is simplified.  Take great care disconnecting the several ribbon cables,  and even more care re fitting them.   If you are in any doubt about tackling the job,  then don't.   Get an expert such as Andy at Astronomiser set to do it for you. 

If you DIY you friend is a biro and a sheet of A4 on a flat surface. as you do each stage, write down the action in a box drawn on the paper - and put the screws in the box.

That way you won't end up with left over/missing screws or swapping short ones for long ones etc.

Archived