NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meteors

Stub Mandrel

I also, traveled across a large portion of sky south to north east of Lyra, I was surprised by it's brightness, length of burn. Could have been a stray or just our trash returning home...their saying the Perseids will be good to exceptional over north America this year...the telescoping patio loungers are lined up and ready...

I spotted a spectacular meteor last night (about 11pm) zipping through the Square of Pegasus from the direction of Perseus. It's tail lingered in the sky for a good 10 seconds before it dispersed. It was one of those ones where your mind imagines that you can hear it fizzing and crackling! I got the kids out of bed and arranged them around the lawn looking up, over the next 2 hours we saw another handful (from a variety of directions) but nothing as spectacular as the original. 

6 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Maybe they were homesick cygnids? :-(

Does look like he Pereids will be good this year, I wonder how cloudy it will be?

:laughing4:  My initial thought was maybe Delta Aquarids, which overlap the Perseids a bit,  but I ran Stellarium and wrong direction again ! :(

Have you done a trace back to see if they share a radiant ? ( Use gnomic projection, excuse if I am teaching eggs ), maybe trawl the meteorobs list to see if they are talking about a minor shower activity ?

Thanks for the alert about the Perseids,  normally they are a pretty steady lot ( unlike the Leonids ! )

If they shared a radiant they would be 'ploughids' or 'ursids' I suppose; they were all at 90-degrees to where they would have been going if from Perseus.

It might be coincidence, two diffidently whooshed past Lyra (one above one below) right to left, but the other one was fainter and I cannot swear where it came from except it was vaguely similar.

There used to be somewhere on the web an 'all sky' kind of display of the previous nights meteor activity showing clusters round the active radiants, but I have failed miserably this last 1/2 hr to find it :( (somewhere like Spaceweather, but thay are only showing fireballs at the mo.)

Maybe it is only displayed at times of maj. shower activity ?

Always nice to see Neil, I have seen some really long burn ones this year from here. On the few occations I have made an effort to see a shower I have never seen what I call a show, a bit of a let down, maybe my timings are all wrong. 

Alan

Funny that you thought a meteor shower was happening, the same occurred to me on Friday night. I was just about to pack up when a bright meteor shot overhead going north, followed by another one a second or two later, along the same line, a little distance apart. Unusual I thought. I often see the odd one here and there, but not two together.

Tonight officially begins meteor watch for me as the moon is not yet an issue but soon will be. Strapping myself into the deluxe  telescoping patio stratalounger with a blanket and bino's at the ready, rotational speed 1,040mph-check, forward speed 66,600mph- check, approaching cometary stellar debree field fast-check, preparing for impacting cometary debree bombardment-check. Context-Check! Enjoy the stellar bombardment Everyone :)

Archived