NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

8mm Ethos --Question

Pig

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi - 2" EPs are all new to me: as are ones with the dual 2" and 1.25" skirts!

These are heavy EPs - is an extension tube with a parfocalizing ring robust for bearing the weight -- is this what people commonly use?  My motivation here is to minimise fuss with a Paracorr2 in the dark when swapping to shorter focal lengths. Cheers!

(Yeah it would be great if TV included these as standard accessories!)

Niall, they work on mine

the parfocalising rings move though. It might be because I'm afraid to tighten the grub screw too much. I was thinking of putting two rings on...... Or could just TIGHTEN them?

4 hours ago, alan potts said:

It will be interesting to see if the prices on TV ranges goes up as the Pound has weakened against the Dollar, I expect that they will but I imagine most people have got buying off their chests for a while.

Alan

Alan, the prices on TH have gone up quite a lot £800 for a 21mm Ethos !!!! :icon_biggrin:

17 minutes ago, Pig said:

Alan, the prices on TH have gone up quite a lot £800 for a 21mm Ethos !!!! :icon_biggrin:

...and it is £799 at Widescreen Centre.

I am sure I paid just over £600 for mine about 18 months ago so that is a big hike! :eek:

It's 800 quid, I am not sure I dare use it now, best take them inside the house. I got mine S/H about 3 1/2 years back for 530 which was a bit on the high side at the time but it was a rare EP S/H. I am not at all sure the way things work but if the ExSc examples come in priced in euros it may well make the gap even larger. If so people really will stop and think twice. I can see the others all going to over 500 now.

Alan

14 minutes ago, alan potts said:

It's 800 quid, I am not sure I dare use it now, best take them inside the house. I got mine S/H about 3 1/2 years back for 530 which was a bit on the high side at the time but it was a rare EP S/H. I am not at all sure the way things work but if the ExSc examples come in priced in euros it may well make the gap even larger. If so people really will stop and think twice. I can see the others all going to over 500 now.

Alan

They already have!

£561 for the 6mm and 8mm - £715 for the 17mm and £591 for all the others :eek:

29 minutes ago, Pig said:

Ouch... did you hover over the new price earlier ?

Only at the end of the sale - I was looking at the Baader VIP for the Leica zoom I bought from Stu and then noticed that the Powermate was only a few quid more. I then chickened out. Wish I had just gone for it :mad:

Do you really, honestly and truly need a Powermate Derek :icon_flower: If you do get a VIP be careful of the potential of a clash between its barrel and the mirror on the diagonal, other than that they are great bits of kit.

26 minutes ago, Pig said:

Do you really, honestly and truly need a Powermate Derek :icon_flower: If you do get a VIP be careful of the potential of a clash between its barrel and the mirror on the diagonal, other than that they are great bits of kit.

I only want one for the Zoom so that I could use it as grab-n-go without taking any other eyepieces :wink:

But the real answer is no, I don't need a Powermate, just like I don't need 15 TV eyepieces, 6 fracs, 2 dobs and an SCT :lol:

Thanks for the tip on the barlow v mirror risk :wink:

2 minutes ago, Pig said:

Oh I am sure you need the other kit... I think the Powermate was bordering on the tipping of the scales :icescream:

I'm going to show Mrs T this just to prove I'm not being excessive :icon_compress:

1 hour ago, Pig said:

51 minutes ago, DRT said:

But the real answer is no, I don't need a Powermate, just like I don't need 15 TV eyepieces, 6 fracs, 2 dobs and an SCT :lol:

Hi Derek, I can see you are on a real economy drive there with the minimalist kit at your disposal ?

12 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

Hi Derek, I can see you are on a real economy drive there with the minimalist kit at your disposal ?

@Stu taught me all I know about minimalist observing - I learned from a Master :wink:

1 hour ago, Pig said:

I will show mine the image of your case just to demonstrate things could get a lot more expensive and that she may have to tighten her belt :hello:

has she got a sister shaun

10 minutes ago, Pig said:

As it happens Mike my wife is 1 of 7 sisters.... So I guess I was onto a winner from the start (from a Messier point of view) :happy6:

i will pm you my phone number just pass it on :icon_biggrin:

sorry for going off topic

12 minutes ago, Pig said:

As it happens Mike my wife is 1 of 7 sisters.... So I guess I was onto a winner from the start (from a Messier point of view) :happy6:

1 minute ago, faulksy said:

i will pm you my phone number just pass it on :icon_biggrin:

sorry for going off topic

To which sister Mike ? Or to all of them ?. Sorry could not resist the reply.

Archived