Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

8mm Ethos --Question

Pig

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 31 July 2016 at 01:34, DRT said:

I have two of those that I use with my 8mm and 6mm Ethos and I have to say that once you have swallowed the exorbitant cost and forgotten about it they are great to have around. The quality of the engineering that has gone into them is top notch and they feel extremely secure. Personally, I think the extra few quid is worth it when you consider the value of the thing you are planning to hang off the end of it :wink:

:laughing4:

I also bought one for my 12mm T4 before finding that the Baader one is exactly the same and a lot cheaper. :D  Not sure I could pretend my TV one is better and keep a straight face :thumbsup:

Its just a bit of tube thats threaded for filters. Oh and they paint it for you too...... :D Major rip off IMHO. Heaven knows how TV can dedicate a web page to a bit of threaded pipe. It should be included with each skirted eyepiece for free if you ask me. 

32 minutes ago, swamp thing said:

Heaven knows how TV can dedicate a web page to a bit of threaded pipe. It should be included with each skirted eyepiece for free if you ask me.

AMEN

If they did include it at the same price, it still certainly wouldn't be "for free" - we are surely paying for it !!!

:grin:

The odd thing is that they threaded the 2" barrel section but you can't put anything on there unless a barrel extension is used :icon_scratch:

It's the same with a number of other eyepieces that use the "hybrid" barrel approach.

If the 2" barrel was longer then you could not use the 1.25" one though. Maybe having a separate 2" barrel option would be a better option. Something for the mk II Ethos !

2 minutes ago, John said:

The odd thing is that they threaded the 2" barrel section but you can't put anything on there unless a barrel extension is used :icon_scratch:

It's the same with a number of other eyepieces that use the "hybrid" barrel approach.

If the 2" barrel was longer then you could not use the 1.25" one though. Maybe having a separate 2" barrel option would be a better option. Something for the mk II Ethos !

I like the approach used for the Ethos SX - but I prefer 2" diagonals anyway...

1 hour ago, swamp thing said:

I also bought one for my 12mm T4 before finding that the Baader one is exactly the same and a lot cheaper. :D  Not sure I could pretend my TV one is better and keep a straight face :thumbsup:

Hmmm. Not sure I agree with you there, Steve. I owned both at the same time. The Baader FTR is made from lower quality material and the thread that goes into the eyepiece skirt wasn't as sharp as the TV, which has a tighter and more precise fit.

But you are absolutely correct that the price is a rip off, which is why I said you have to swallow it and forget about it.

All that said, I think the 2" adapters that are attached to the 3.7mm and 4.7mm Ethos SX should be sold separately. They screw into the 1.25" filter thread and could be used with the Delos, DeLite and Radians

23 minutes ago, DRT said:

All that said, I think the 2" adapters that are attached to the 3.7mm and 4.7mm Ethos SX should be sold separately. They screw into the 1.25" filter thread and could be used with the Delos, DeLite and Radians

Though the 3.7mm and 4.7mm 2" barrel sections are not interchangable - they are different in their lengths, inside taper etc, etc.

My guess is that the Ethos SX barrel sections would cost a lot if sold separately - £50-£100 apiece I'd have thought.

That would provide something else to moan about on cloudy nights !

19 minutes ago, DRT said:

Hmmm. Not sure I agree with you there, Steve. I owned both at the same time. The Baader FTR is made from lower quality material and the thread that goes into the eyepiece skirt wasn't as sharp as the TV, which has a tighter and more precise fit.

I'll just leave it there I think......Don't really wanna get into a discussion about the quality of an inch and a quarter long piece of 2" tubing. :evil6: 

11 minutes ago, Pig said:

What makes them a "fine tune" ?

That refers to using them with the Hyperion range of eyepieces, which is their original purpose. Basically, changing the distance between the lower and upper lens groups with an eyepiece alters the effective focal length so Baader innovatively designed eyepieces where spacers (the FT rings) could be inserted between the 2 major lens groups to add flexibility to the range.

It's a bit like the extension tubes that photographers use for macro work I guess.

23 hours ago, John said:

I've noticed these 2" barrel extenders from Revelation / GSO which might be worth a try as an alternative to the Baader FT rings:

http://www.telescopehouse.com/accessories/eyepiece-adaptors-and-extension-tubes/revelation-m48-2-spacer-extension-ring-20mm.html

just ordered 2 john, it works out when there screwed home there will be 1mm overhang of the 1.25 element so that should be great, and around 3mm clear of a 2" filter :icon_biggrin:

2 hours ago, swamp thing said:

I'll just leave it there I think......Don't really wanna get into a discussion about the quality of an inch and a quarter long piece of 2" tubing. :evil6: 

Best if we don't discuss the merits of this aluminium tube then Steve :wink::lol:

2 hours ago, faulksy said:

just ordered 2 john, it works out when there screwed home there will be 1mm overhang of the 1.25 element so that should be great, and around 3mm clear of a 2" filter :icon_biggrin:

Sounds right Mike. When I checked my Ethos eyepieces out I found that the clearance that is needed to ensure a filter clears the 1.25" barrel varies but 20mm seemed to cover even the tightest one which I seem to recall is the 6mm.

4 hours ago, John said:

Sounds right Mike. When I checked my Ethos eyepieces out I found that the clearance that is needed to ensure a filter clears the 1.25" barrel varies but 20mm seemed to cover even the tightest one which I seem to recall is the 6mm.

i will let you know tomorrow john and hopefully have a update on my mirror :icon_biggrin:

5 hours ago, Pig said:

Excellent Mike :-)  was it a 24hr postal service ?

hi shaun, yes it was didnt know untill it came, expected it to come wednesday ish. thought it was only flo that was that good

3 minutes ago, faulksy said:

hi shaun, yes it was didnt know untill it came, expected it to come wednesday ish. thought it was only flo that was that good

Excellent Mike...........2 of my Ethos were purchased from TH and arrived the next working day :icon_biggrin:

1 hour ago, John said:

Do they fit as well as the Baader FT rings Shaun and is the inside surface glossy or matte ?

I haven't tried the Baader John but they do fit alright, I can feel a very slight inward step with my nail but this maybe as there is a slight chamfer / lead in on the thread but it slides into the diagonal with that re-assuring "tape peeling" sound. Both the inner and outer surfaces are glossy but I wouldn't call it high gloss and the inner does look slightly less glossy. There is a 3.0mm height difference from the end of the 1.25" barrel

20mm spacer.JPG

IMG_0533 [75198].JPG

Archived