Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Clicklock - any good?

I've ordered a 2" clicklock for my steeltrack as despite the focuser being quite good, im still not a fan of compression rings. Will it do the business and hold my imaging train squarely?

I opted for the clicklock becuase as it stands, using the internal M55 thread on the focuser looks like a royal (and expensive) pain when it comes to getting the right adaptors (talking almost 100 quid just to step down from M55 to an adaptor with a scopeside M48 thread).

Thanks chaps!

I'll probably be getting it tomorrow, and it should be coinciding with some clear sky (!) so it will get an immediate test. Looks a bit fiddly to fit though because the diamond steeltrack uses the S58 dovetail system for attaching adaptors.... lots of tiny, tiny screws (so I'd better not drop one!).

Surely it should be better than the compression ring - as they only grip a small section of your corrector (or EP) - where the clicklock should grip it along its entire length, thereby preventing any rocking within the focuser.

They are hugely overpriced in my opinion.

BUT, they are brilliant. I use one attached to an SCT thread so that I can easily adjust the angle of my diagonal, and use one to hold eyepieces to the diagonal.

Holds everything firmly and no more fiddling with those fiddly little fiddle screws, in the dark, in the cold, with gloves on!

Pricey, but wouldn't want to be without them.

Well, its now installed - and as predicted by you guys it does indeed have a very strong grip!

But, the weather hasnt played ball - its the complete opposite to what was forecast yesterday... now 100% cloud and chucking down with rain :(  I'll poke my head out the back door again in 15min and if it hasnt cleared up I think its going to be an early night for me!

I have mixed feelings about the Clicklock and similar twist fit eyepiece clamps.  They are good for security, but both my APM and Baader 1.25" adaptors have too much friction to ensure keeping the view when changing to a high magnification eyepiece on a low friction balanced set up, like a Dobsonian.  The Takahashi diagonal clamp does not have this problem but it does take a lot of turning. 

Although set screws, with or without a brass ring, are mechanically flawed in principle, I currently prefer them for  accessories that I change when viewing.  However with more practice this opinion may change...

Archived