Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

DaveS

Very rough Eastern Veil

Only an hour's worth of data, and with a near full moon too. There's still a bit of tilt in the camera to get rid of, and a huge dust bunny (Curse of the Were-Rabbit more like), but it was good to do *any* imaging after the rubbish weather we've had lately.

TBH the previous two nights were better but I wasted too much time faffing. Well, here it is:

1 Hour trial stack.png

A couple of histogram stretches and a touch of LPF to get rid of the worst of the noise.

Need to do a clean-up of my imaging train.

Megrez 90, 0.8FR IV, 3nm HII Astrodon, Trius 694, temperature -23 from the readout. Guiding in PHD2 with the ST90 / QHY5 II. Capture and post in AA5.

• Like 5

Nice moonlight image Dave, only two nights faffing about ? I've been faffing with the 10Micron for 2 weeks, just going to take the first proper image last night at about 1,30am and it clouded over, looking hopeful for later.

Dave

• Like 1

No imaging for me tonight. Taken the HEQ5 off the pier ready for Rupert from Astrograph to deliver the DDM60 tomorrow (I hope).

As expected the sky quality has been going downhill these last few days. Sun was very transparent, then less so on Mon, and marginal for imaging yesterday so I have little hope for tonight, and Thu looks to be cloudy again.

Edit: I should add that I had a 2 hour sequence set up in AA5, 12 x 10min subs but cloud was coming over during the last sub, then PHD2 started bonging, so I called it a night, as the cloud was huge, and moving slowly.

Edited by DaveS

Need a clear night to do a hundred point plate solve and then try a long sub just to see if it works as advertised, let us know how you get on with the DDM60, Rupert was trying to get me to buy one :)

Dave

Good luck with the plate-solve. Tonight should be good enough for that. The DDM60 Pro I'm getting is their demonstrator, so if you were at Astrofest you'd have seen it working, slewing an improbably large 180 APM apo around.

Now to get to grips with Maxim DL and Pinpoint. Guess when I bought them? Yeah, right :BangHead:.

2 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Now to get to grips with Maxim DL and Pinpoint. Guess when I bought them? Yeah, right :BangHead:.

After Brexit ? lucky I bought the 10Micron when I did, wasn't going to bother until nearer the Autumn :)

Dave

Got it in one, squire! :D .

Fortunately I paid my deposit on the mount well before the vote, so my overall saving on that bag of bolts would pay for a nice little triplet apo!:D

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MartinB
      This has been a bit of a project.  Last year I worked out that my 200mm Canon F2.8 lens and ASI1600 would frame the whole of the Veil complex quite nicely.  I captured Ha and OIII data for the east and west nebulae with a Tak FSQ 106 and added this into the widefield image.  Although the Tak data had to be shrunk down it did add a bit of extra resolution where it was needed.  
      The difficulty for me has been the processing.  I have found it really difficult to tease out the faint wisps of detail and have tried the usual routines of micro contrast adjustments using curves along with Scott Rosen's Screen blend/mask inversion method but the results weren't great owing to the close proximity of faint and bright nebulosity.  I'd heard about the PI process tool for removing stars, Starnet, so loaded this and had a rare foray into PI.  This proved very helpful.  It was a luminence created from Ha and OIII using the 200mm lens with the Tak data mixed in.  Then the starless layer was added in PS with the screen blend mode at 50% opacity.  The nebulosity detail was so well preserved I didn't need a mask.  After blending I reduced the stars a bit more using the starless layer again and darken as the blend at 50%.  I should really unleash some of the stars to add a bit of "punch" but I've wrestled with this data enough for now!  I plan to use it further as I look deeper into the Gorgon that is PixInsight!
      Telescope: Tak 106 for E and W veils.  Canon 200mmL lens
      Camera: ZWO ASI 1600 pro mono cmos, Gain 150, offset 50
      Filters: Baader 7nm OIII and Ha
      E+W Veil 10x30 mins each channel for each nebula.  Whole complex 50x5mins for each channel
      Captured with SGP, calibrated, aligned and combined with PI, processed mainly with PS but PI for Starnet.  Ha mapped to red and OIII to both blue and green

• By Rhushikesh-Canisminor
      Finally managed to observe the Veil nebula on last Saturday!
      I remember spending too many hours searching for it during my observations.
      The milky way band in the morning came up really nice ,almost a continuous band from scorpious to Cassiopeia (managed to see that too!).
      Thinking about giving veil a last try, we pointed our skywatcher 8 inch dobsonian scope with 32mm plossl eyepiece and lumicon UHC filter and BAM! It was right there, bright enough to show it for first timers too! Looked like an arc or smoke chain coming out of matchstick.
      All The reports say that Veil nebula is an easy object, but I have had hard time seeing it all this time, while easily observing Flame nebula and Horsehead nebula through smaller telescopes.
      Maybe it's the real dark skies...or just some plain luck!
      Clear skies!

• By PeterW
      @Stu, @GavStar and myself met up for a bit of club observing Thursday night… cloudy so good that we met down the pub. Someone (not sure who) pointed out it was clear, so we headed out to stand and chat under clouds with a chill breeze for more than 2hours waiting for the skies to comply with Sat24. Finally we spotted what looked like the edge of the clouds… the others got ready to polar align. OK observing under a near full moon is not ideal.. but it does help with setup and checking your charts! 
      So what to look for… using Gavins new  “magic eyepiece” we headed straight for the Horsehead, just visible, the flame slightly more so above. We were using a TEC160 on a goto panther mount, with 55mm plossl and the TNVC adapter to the intensifier, using  a 6nm hydrogen alpha filter to “help”. The gain control worked really well to tune the balance of brightness (and noise) vs detail. The “white phosphor” giving a very neutral and “natural” view.
      Right, where next? Up to the jellyfish ic443, nice gentle curve easily visible, checked on the monkeyhead nearby. We then cruised down to the seagull which filled the view and then tried to ferret out the medusa Nebula… it evaded us this time. Swept over the the pacman, the heart and then the California nebula. The latter as two broad nebulous bands crossing the field of view. We need to try a smaller scope to give a bigger field of view for these really big nebulae.
      Swapped in a longpass filter and checked on M35 which looked great, M3? and then M81/82, very clear dark lane in the latter.. Clouds finally made a return and we packed up the wrong side of 1am, feet nearly frozen solid. Seemed like many of the streetlights had turned off as well, which is interesting to note. Going to be fun to poke this setup at nebulae when the skies are a little bit more conducive to observing.
      PeterW

• By markarian
      Supermoon in all its colourful glory
      C80ED f7.5 Canon 600D
      22:08 UT 3 Dec 2017 99.9%
      Processed in Lightroom

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.