Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New SW AZ5

mikeDnight

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

As an addition to the other solutions for fitting a 3/8 to astro tripods.

How about this pre-made unit?

http://www.365astronomy.com/Astrotrac-Adapter-Plate-and-3-8-Large-Photo-Screw-for-EQ3-Aluminium-Tripod.html

images.jpg.5a4b2b1716e9b7ffe4e3bb971a00d783.jpg

Awesome, looks like there are a few options out there then. Looks like you might still have to trim the alignment peg/stub.

Trying to decide what to do with my AZ4 steel legged tripod - don't know whether to cut the peg off and then just use a 3/8 bolt and washers, for cheap and cheerful. Or whether to spend money and buy some sort of adaptor.

Come on next pay day!

So what do we all think the AZ5 heavy duty tripod is? Is it just an EQ5 tripod renamed? The EQ5 1.75" steel legged tripod

I ask as I am doing some modifications to my Towa 339 which will add weight, going to flock and baffle it, extend the OTA by 130mm, add a Skywatcher Crayford, which will be used with a Baader Zeiss 2" diagonal, and Baader Hyperion MK3 zoom eye piece. I want to pair my Towa 339 with a new mount. The AZ5 with the heavy duty tripod might just be the ticket with a pier extension!

• Like 1

I've wondered what the heavy duty version will be like as well.

Does anyone who's bought the AZ5 happen to know if there is any information in the user manual about the heavy duty version? Other than that it can take a 9kg load. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave1 said:

So what do we all think the AZ5 heavy duty tripod is? Is it just an EQ5 tripod renamed? The EQ5 1.75" steel legged tripod

I ask as I am doing some modifications to my Towa 339 which will add weight, going to flock and baffle it, extend the OTA by 130mm, add a Skywatcher Crayford, which will be used with a Baader Zeiss 2" diagonal, and Baader Hyperion MK3 zoom eye piece. I want to pair my Towa 339 with a new mount. The AZ5 with the heavy duty tripod might just be the ticket with a pier extension!

I think there is some confusion over what is, and is not, an AZ5 mount.

365 Astronony list a mount which they call the AZ5 and they also list a matching tripod which is a 1.5 inch steel tubed tripod:

http://www.365astronomy.com/365Astronomy-AZ5-Versatile-Vari-angle-Micro-Motion-Alt-Azimuth-Telescope-Mount-with-Stainless-Steel-Tripod.html

http://www.365astronomy.com/365astronomy-az5-tripod-only-compatible-with-eq3-eq5-and-skytee-mounts.html

This, as far as I can see, is not the same mount as the Skywatcher AZ5 but it does have some similarities.

As far as I know, as standard, the Skywatcher AZ5 mount, if bought with a tripod, comes with an aluminium tripod:

0069043_skywatcher-az5-with-tripod-9kg-load.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John said:

As far as I know, as standard, the Skywatcher AZ5 mount, if bought with a tripod, comes with an aluminium tripod:

That's right, John.  It's a very lightweight aluminium job by with a plastic tray / brace that clips in and out.  The tripod as supplied with the AZ5 also comes with the short (guess 5 or 6") extension pillar.  

My view is that this tripod would be adequate for smaller scopes but inadequate for larger scopes at high power.  I used to occasionally put my old ST150 on an aluminium-legged AZ4 with a 16" pier and it would (just about) cope; I couldn't imagine putting the same scope on the AZ5 standard tripod.

9 hours ago, John said:

365 Astronony list a mount which they call the AZ5 and they also list a matching tripod which is a 1.5 inch steel tubed tripod:

http://www.365astronomy.com/365Astronomy-AZ5-Versatile-Vari-angle-Micro-Motion-Alt-Azimuth-Telescope-Mount-with-Stainless-Steel-Tripod.html

http://www.365astronomy.com/365astronomy-az5-tripod-only-compatible-with-eq3-eq5-and-skytee-mounts.html

This, as far as I can see, is not the same mount as the Skywatcher AZ5 but it does have some similarities.

Thanks John. I was referring to the earlier post in this thread, where mikeDnight posted a photo of the instructions, where it is written it is available with a heavy duty tripod. I understand the alloy tripod is the standard set up. Also somebody linked to the Skywatcher Italian website which has the Skywatcher heavy duty tripod AZ5, listed as coming this autumn. 

I was asking to find out if the Skywatcher AZ5 heavy duty version comes with the EQ5 tripod with the 1.75" steel legs, because I already have the 1.75" steel EQ5 tripod. It would be as simple as just buying the mount. Where as if the AZ5 heavy duty tripod comes with the 2" steel tripod legs, then I would need to purchase a whole new tripod and mount. Thanks for the link to 365 astro but that is not the new Skywatcher AZ5. 

Edited by Dave1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, John said:

That doesn't look like a very solid tripod to me, maybe little better than the Ali rectangular legs version?

I think, to get a stable platform the 2" stainless legs version would be best, and not much more than the 1.75" EQ5 one?

Dave

• Like 1

Yes F15,

That is the logic I'm kind of leaning to, get the 2" stainless steel legged version with the EQ5 16" mount extension tube! Should then hopefully be ok with a refractor which will be 1330mm long!

I was hoping not to go that route because of the added extra cost, as I already own an EQ5 1.75" stainless steel tripod. Need to do all the mods on my Towa 339 first, and then weight it.

1 hour ago, Dave1 said:

Yes F15,

That is the logic I'm kind of leaning to, get the 2" stainless steel legged version with the EQ5 16" mount extension tube! Should then hopefully be ok with a refractor which will be 1330mm long!

I was hoping not to go that route because of the added extra cost, as I already own an EQ5 1.75" stainless steel tripod. Need to do all the mods on my Towa 339 first, and then weight it.

The only slight snag might be that the EQ5 / HEQ5 tripods generally use M10 bolts wheras the Skywatcher AZ5, and presumably it's extension, is 3/8th's of an inch :icon_scratch:

A 1330mm long refractor is going to put a lot of strain on the mount head / tripod top regardless of the scopes weight. I'll be interested to see how the AZ5 handles Pauls F/9 Tak.

I think this is a step back based on what I have seen in this thread only, certainly in terms of capacity at least. It's good that they have added the slomo controls and but I'd have hoped for a bit more capacity.  The AZ5 looks a bit flimsy to me and the tripod / connection seems a lot more lightweight. Better for a light, short scope. Maybe there's a AZ6 in the pipeline but personally I have no intention of changing from my giro iii despite the fact this has no slomo controls. When balanced or when I have a scope on both sides (I can run my 120ED and my Tal pst mod together total payload about 15kg) it's very good indeed. For the same sort of money used, I'd go for that or my EQ5 every time. It also takes the scope out from centre quite a bit so you are further from the legs. I got a short 8" extension made and this means I can use any frac really.

• Like 1

Not so sure about that, Moonshane. From what I've read in this thread, its more the standard aluminium tripod that is the limiting factor on mount capacity. When the heavy duty version comes out, then it will have a capacity of 9kg. 

I meant more that they should have considered increasing capacity to accommodate say a 120ed. It still looks flimsy to me in the pics compared with the predecessor. Time will tell but other than small scopes it is not something I'd be interested in. Maximum capacities should be taken with a pinch of salt so I'd always buy something of a higher capacity than I'd need to match what I actually want.

• Like 2

One thing that I've noticed in comparing the competion is that the AZ5 has 96 teeth gear wheels wheras the Vixen Porta II (for example) has 120. I wonder how that will affect the actual use of the mount ?

Edited by John

5 hours ago, Dave1 said:

Not so sure about that, Moonshane. From what I've read in this thread, its more the standard aluminium tripod that is the limiting factor on mount capacity. When the heavy duty version comes out, then it will have a capacity of 9kg. 

Is there going to be a HD version then :icon_scratch:

It appears Skywatcher has plans to release a HD version yes, according to this link posted earlier in this post http://www.skywatcher.it/prodotto/montatura-altazimutale-az5/ Which if translated points toward the AZ5 coming with the same tripod as the Skywatcher AZ EQ5-GT GEQ & Alt-Az Mount. 

Also the instructions point toward there being a HD version as well, here is the photo of the instructions posted earlier in this thread.

tripod.jpg

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see if the HD version gets to the UK market.

I guess there were 2 tripod options offered with the AZ-4 so there is no reason why they won't ultimately follow the same approach with the AZ-5.

Edited by John
  • Like 2

On 8/5/2017 at 17:40, Alan White said:

As an addition to the other solutions for fitting a 3/8 to astro tripods.

How about this pre-made unit?

http://www.365astronomy.com/Astrotrac-Adapter-Plate-and-3-8-Large-Photo-Screw-for-EQ3-Aluminium-Tripod.html

images.jpg.5a4b2b1716e9b7ffe4e3bb971a00d783.jpg

I have possibly an even better and cheaper solution http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BERGEN-2pc-M10-x-1-25P-Tap-Set-Taper-Plug-2555-/282485253408?hash=item41c56ee520:g:VcgAAOSwGvhUCicR

16 hours ago, Dave1 said:

It appears Skywatcher has plans to release a HD version yes, according to this link posted earlier in this post http://www.skywatcher.it/prodotto/montatura-altazimutale-az5/ Which if translated points toward the AZ5 coming with the same tripod as the Skywatcher AZ EQ5-GT GEQ & Alt-Az Mount. 

Also the instructions point toward there being a HD version as well, here is the photo of the instructions posted earlier in this thread.

tripod.jpg

I hope there is a heavy version soon.
Problem as always of being an early adopter is if the product updates, you still have MK1.

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

I was considering that option, but it does not fill the hole or extend the 10mm bolt.

Do you have a pic of the bottom.

It seems odd to me why they did the AZ4 M10 so it would universally fit across a range of telescope tripods yet made a successor that only fits 3/8 camera tripods. WHY I have to ask?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, spaceboy said:

Do you have a pic of the bottom.

It seems odd to me why they did the AZ4 M10 so it would universally fit across a range of telescope tripods yet made a successor that only fits 3/8 camera tripods. WHY I have to ask?

4736.jpg.2bc99dccaa469e4e97d8242e147df2ff.jpg

Sorry terrible picture off net, its several washers as shims over the bolt hole.

I have the same question, as does perhaps most of SGL, other than to upset a lot of folks who have good tripods, who knows.

Is Mr Synta an member here? :hmh:

Edited by Alan White

I'm now wondering if these are more for spotting scopes or at least hoping to insight the interest of bird spotters / photographers while still keeping one foot in the astronomers camp. You'd not see nature photographers lugging around a 1.75" stainless steel tripod after all. I know the AZ4 came with an L bracket as standard which could be construed as for similar reasons. .