Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Going To Attempt Stacking For The First Time Ever

Right, so on Monday night, I took 107 subs at 15 secs long, along with 11 darks, for star trails, however the sky was still darkening and so there is gradual change of colour of the sky as I go through the pics.  Will this be OK, and does anyone have any tips?

Many Thanks.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, toilandtrouble123 said:

Right, so on Monday night, I took 107 subs at 15 secs long, along with 11 darks, for star trails, however the sky was still darkening and so there is gradual change of colour of the sky as I go through the pics.  Will this be OK, and does anyone have any tips?

Many Thanks.

This shouldn't be a problem. The stacking algorithm will average the pixel values of your subs while discarding outliers that arise from satellites etc. flying through you frame. There will still be an average background gradient present in your stacked image that can be dealt with during post processing. You might want to take a couple of Bias Frames as well to get rid of the readout noise from your camera, but other than that you should be good to go.

Cheers,

Patrick

P.S.: If you need any help with the stacking process feel free to ask :)

On 18/5/2016 at 15:02, lrt75914 said:

This shouldn't be a problem. The stacking algorithm will average the pixel values of your subs while discarding outliers that arise from satellites etc. flying through you frame. There will still be an average background gradient present in your stacked image that can be dealt with during post processing. You might want to take a couple of Bias Frames as well to get rid of the readout noise from your camera, but other than that you should be good to go.

Cheers,

Patrick

P.S.: If you need any help with the stacking process feel free to ask :)

Careful! 'A couple' of bias frames would add more noise than they removed. A master bias might as well be a good one - fifty or so subs, since they are so easy to take. Also the bias signal is already present in the dark frame so should not be double-subtracted.

Olly

1 minute ago, toilandtrouble123 said:

it's supposed to be a star trail....

Judging by the stacking artifacts I'd say the program you used went through an alignment process before it added your images together. I have never tried to assemble a star trail image but my best guess is that you have to forgo the alignment process.  You just need to open up the stacking parameters and select the No Alignment option under the Alignment tab. 

IMG_6313 (2).jpgCheers guys. Mercury transit has been a massive confidence booster after a crappy winter for me. Next step I think is recording video using my Canon 100D for a stab at planetary. My quaint shot of Jupiter  through my EP was really just to say "Hey look what I just caught through my own scope!" rather than a serious go at imaging. Here's to more progress on the learning curve. Thanks everyone for your patience! Xx

On it now!!! Despite 100% high haze cover, I managed to take a video on my Canon 100D on my 90mm refractor, tethered using Breezesy DSLR Remore Pro, and from that stacked 69 individuals from 1543 frames in total.  Processed through PIPP, Registax and then cleaned up in Photoshop.  First ever attempt at stacking from a video, and second attempt at stacking in total.  Pretty impressed that I even just about picked up the penumbra around AR2546, and that was with not a speck of actual blue clear sky!! 

Stacked from video 100D.jpg

On 21/05/2016 at 22:03, toilandtrouble123 said:

Here it is! For once I think the aeroplanes circling around Gatwick made a cool effect

Nice one. But actually I think one of them is a Mother Ship with three Drones waiting to dock, and at bottom right it fires its disruptor beam array in an attempt to phase out the big bright light that we have in our night skies at the moment, wot is stopping us seeing lots of things :)

33 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

Nice one. But actually I think one of them is a Mother Ship with three Drones waiting to dock, and at bottom right it fires its disruptor beam array in an attempt to phase out the big bright light that we have in our night skies at the moment, wot is stopping us seeing lots of things :)

LOOOOOL!!!! Tell that to Agent Mulder :D

On 21/05/2016 at 21:06, toilandtrouble123 said:

Erm think I missed something..... this is 95 lights, 11 darks, registered and stacked... hmmmm

Underneath all that blue there are quite a lot of stars ! I took the liberty (hope you dont mind) of having a play with it in Gimp and found this, so your DSSing did work :) ( the 'handle' of Ursa Minor extending, from Polaris in the middle of course, off into the upper right corner ) :-

tt5.jpg

Archived