Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron C6 sct

59 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

I will stick to the 150 pro mak, now i think i will leave this thread to the others.......Piero you make a very good point

Thanks Jules.

Like Mark said above, I also don't see what you will really gain with a C6. Possibly a slightly shorter cooling time and a slightly larger field of view, at the expenses of some loss in contrast? Now, I am not expert in equipment so mine is just an opinion based on reading and personal interest. In my opinion in the UK more than many other countries, it is important that telescopes cool down quickly and remain more or less at that temperature. The weather can change so quickly that one might not have so much time for long cooling time. I think there is also a valid argument about dew formation in here. So, to me, here one is better off with a refractor or an open tube like a newton. If high power is needed most of the time (e.g. planetary observation), I would go for a very good refractor around 100-110mm. Of course these can be expensive but with a good trade-off f-ratio / price, I think one can find a good compromise. I know that I am biased because I love refractors, but I reckon a telescope like a 100mm will be perfectly cooled within 30 minutes which can allow one to have quick observations when needed.

Wouldn't your Tal 100 already fit the bill for this? 

Just my 2 cents

Piero

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Piero said:

Thanks Jules.

Like Mark said above, I also don't see what you will really gain with a C6. Possibly a slightly shorter cooling time and a slightly larger field of view, at the expenses of some loss in contrast? Now, I am not expert in equipment so mine is just an opinion based on reading and personal interest. In my opinion in the UK more than many other countries, it is important that telescopes cool down quickly and remain more or less at that temperature. The weather can change so quickly that one might not have so much time for long cooling time. I think there is also a valid argument about dew formation in here. So, to me, here one is better off with a refractor or an open tube like a newton. If high power is needed most of the time (e.g. planetary observation), I would go for a very good refractor around 100-110mm. Of course these can be expensive but with a good trade-off f-ratio / price, I think one can find a good compromise. I know that I am biased because I love refractors, but I reckon a telescope like a 100mm will be perfectly cooled within 30 minutes which can allow one to have quick observations when needed.

Wouldn't your Tal 100 already fit the bill for this? 

Just my 2 cents

Piero

The TAL is a very good scope but a bit on the long side to think "one scope does all"

You are so right about the weather changing at drop of a hat

Jules, have you discounted the 120ED? I still think it could go a long way to suiting your needs. It's surpringly light and manageable for a near 5" scope, focal length is not too long, but long enough (!), and the optical quality is not in doubt.

I'm sure a used one would be within your reach, and would serve you well.

Hi Jules

If you want to borrow my 120ed for a bit you'd be more than welcome. You could then compare with your current scopes and see how your mounts perform etc.

Just ask if you want to but no pressure.

Cheers

Shane

11 hours ago, Stu said:

Jules, have you discounted the 120ED? I still think it could go a long way to suiting your needs. It's surpringly light and manageable for a near 5" scope, focal length is not too long, but long enough (!), and the optical quality is not in doubt.

I'm sure a used one would be within your reach, and would serve you well.

I have ruled out the 120ED

11 hours ago, Moonshane said:

Hi Jules

If you want to borrow my 120ed for a bit you'd be more than welcome. You could then compare with your current scopes and see how your mounts perform etc.

Just ask if you want to but no pressure.

Cheers

Shane

Shane that is a very generous offer but no need as i have ruled out a 120ED TBH i am looking at the GSO 150 F6 with renewed interest, I think there may be a complete change to my astro kit in the pipeline, a sort of streamlining

1 hour ago, nightfisher said:

Shane that is a very generous offer but no need as i have ruled out a 120ED TBH i am looking at the GSO 150 F6 with renewed interest, I think there may be a complete change to my astro kit in the pipeline, a sort of streamlining

Given your love of pin point stars, and lunar observing I wonder whether the 150 f6 will give you what you are after?

58 minutes ago, Stu said:

Given your love of pin point stars, and lunar observing I wonder whether the 150 f6 will give you what you are after?

TBH Stu, i am thinking due to time constraints and weather/light pollution i will be going down the Luna and planets only, with just the odd cast around for some messier objects. pin point stars are very nice but whatever you look at a star with, it is usually just a small point of light.

The 120ED is to expensive and to large, and if i am brutally honest my interest is not quite as strong as a couple of years ago, to many cloudy nights and failed star parties have jaded things a little, i still love taking pictures of the Moon and wont ever stop doing this

17 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

TBH Stu, i am thinking due to time constraints and weather/light pollution i will be going down the Luna and planets only, with just the odd cast around for some messier objects. pin point stars are very nice but whatever you look at a star with, it is usually just a small point of light.

The 120ED is to expensive and to large, and if i am brutally honest my interest is not quite as strong as a couple of years ago, to many cloudy nights and failed star parties have jaded things a little, i still love taking pictures of the Moon and wont ever stop doing this

I don't understand the logic then Jules. A 150 f6 is larger and will take longer to cool down. They are both around the same length, plus you have collimation to sort on the 150.

If you are going to a one scope setup, the 120ED will beat a TAL easily, plus have very nice resolution on the moon and Planets. If I ever need to go to one scope, that is what I would get.

If you pool all your kit and buy used, I'm sure it would be affordable and would give you something which really satisfies your needs.

With poor weather and not-so-dark skies, I'm struggling with fuzzies.  I saw two of the Leo Triplet last night - should have trusted GoTo! - only confirmed after checking images on the excellent Astropixels, which showed the star field more clearly than Stellarium.

But what I can always see well are open clusters, and they are beautiful.  I called Mrs Cloudsweeper out last night for a look at M44, and she was impressed too!

Doug.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I don't understand the logic then Jules. A 150 f6 is larger and will take longer to cool down. They are both around the same length, plus you have collimation to sort on the 150.

If you are going to a one scope setup, the 120ED will beat a TAL easily, plus have very nice resolution on the moon and Planets. If I ever need to go to one scope, that is what I would get.

If you pool all your kit and buy used, I'm sure it would be affordable and would give you something which really satisfies your needs.

Having a bit of a think maybe the Mak is still best for me to concentrate on Luna and planets, a Newt at 900mm focal length would require higher mag EP`s and my eyes are not getting better

15 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Having a bit of a think maybe the Mak is still best for me to concentrate on Luna and planets, a Newt at 900mm focal length would require higher mag EP`s and my eyes are not getting better

A decent x2 Barlow with a nice 10mm SLV say would give you x180, what more could you want?

1 hour ago, nightfisher said:

Also, why would a newt be any better than the same aperture Mak? Longer tube, harder to mount?

1 hour ago, cloudsweeper said:

Maks and SCTs really are great all-rounders!

I'd like to think a SCT is more of the all-rounder than a Mak, because of slightly shorter focal length (still long though), about the same compact size and clearly lower weight. Here's a short table of Mak, DOB, and SCT of common size:

mak_newt_sct.jpg

Even the "worse" magnitude/weight of 11" SCT has clearly weight edge over a MAK, with similar compact sizes, only much larger DOBs start to lever SCT in weight aspect. MAK has only size advantage over a Newt, but weighs more than a newt in terms of gained magnitudes.

There's no doubting the capabilities of Maks or SCTs for high power observing. My 'issues' with this particular requirement are around ease of use and quick cool down so Jules can make the most of short windows of opportunity. I fear I'm talking to an empty room though so shall leave it there ??

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

There's no doubting the capabilities of Maks or SCTs for high power observing. My 'issues' with this particular requirement are around ease of use and quick cool down so Jules can make the most of short windows of opportunity. I fear I'm talking to an empty room though so shall leave it there ??

Not sure how to read that Stu, all i see is over several posts you were suggesting i purchase a 120ED and each time i stated i would not be getting one of these , regarding trying to sort a scope with faster cool down and quick set up this is why i started this thread originally about the C6, as this is lighter and has a faster cool down than the mak, it very soon became apparent that it would not suit my needs, i then mentioned i might look again at the 150 F6 newt as it would have a little less weight than the Mak and much faster cool down.

I feel it could be wise to lock this thread it seems to have run its useful course

59 minutes ago, YKSE said:

I'd like to think a SCT is more of the all-rounder than a Mak, because of slightly shorter focal length (still long though), about the same compact size and clearly lower weight. Here's a short table of Mak, DOB, and SCT of common size:

mak_newt_sct.jpg

Even the "worse" magnitude/weight of 11" SCT has clearly weight edge over a MAK, with similar compact sizes, only much larger DOBs start to lever SCT in weight aspect. MAK has only size advantage over a Newt, but weighs more than a newt in terms of gained magnitudes.

Yes indeed, SCTs are very good all-rounders.  I should've said that in the first place!  The weight and the limited aperture of Maks is a drawback.

Very interesting table of comparisons.  I note the convenient hybridised units, namely inch^2 kg^-1.  A quick check shows that mm^2 g^-1 also produces manageable figures!

Doug.

Nothing to read into it other than me trying to avoid over doing things, apologies if it can e across any other way! ??

No need to lock the thread Jules ??

34 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Nice one Stu, the best course for me is to stick with the 150 man and concentrate on Luna and planet's

Cool Jules, just make the most of what you've got and take the opportunities to observe or image whenever you can.

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

Cool Jules, just make the most of what you've got and take the opportunities to observe or image whenever you can.

Yep, thats the best plan, of topic but have you tried the 6" f11 out yet?

Archived