Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Into the Dob Hole with M101

scarp15

SGL is buzzing with fresh reports and Saturday provided myself with a much desired opportunity to commute to a dark sky location.

Transparency throughout the night was varied with some fairly steady periods of very good to excellent observing. It was however very cold with a sharp northerly wind chill.

Jupiter revealed much interest at the start of the evening with an approaching moon transit. as the sky darkened, M3 and M53 provided stimulating attention. M13 was a complete riot of jingling light, the propeller clearly visible and near by galaxy NGC 6207 distinct. M92 and M5 continued the bright expanse and heart warming globular observation tour.  

Galaxies included the Leo trio along with companions NGC 3543 and NGC 3596. After a drift through Virgo, I focused attention upon the Needle NGC 4565. 

My primary aim for the session was with the Pinwheel and its host galaxies. I visited M101 periodically throughout and additionally took in M51, NGC 5195. M81, M82 were very bright and sharply profiled, also close by NGC 2787 and NGC 2976.

At around 1am it became time to focus observing M101, which by now was directly overhead. Pointing the scope towards zenith, the dob became more akin to a tree stump and a period of dob hugging followed to gain position. First in the frame was NGC 5474, which is also a face on spiral galaxy, a roundish fairly bright smudge, which I wished to apply some magnification to. However once in the dob hole this was not so easy and I wished to seek out M101. A hug and a nudge later and M101 entered the frame. I recall from past observing, that this object under the right circumstances can be bright - which it was, but I had forgotten as to how immense it is. Its low surface brightness revealed it as quite subtle, but I could easily discern spiral arms filling my ultra wide field view. I applied power and the structuring becoming more pronounced. I must learn the HII regions as they would have been quite apparent. M101 through the dob hole at a dark sky is a highly exciting object to observe and I will return again to both this and its companions. 

At 2am I had a look at Mars before packing away. During the periods of good sky transparency, I took SQM readings which registered typically at 21.5. Two foxes barked somewhere hidden on the moorland, grouse could be heard and roe deer glided silently in the distance, it was truly good to be stargazing in just such an environment once more.  

P1060646.JPG

P1060634.JPG

P1060618.JPG

Hi Piero

Yes it is Northumberland, 286m above sea level and with very good open vistas in all directions. It is not a place to be when the wind picks up. There is a minor road which provides access, popular with cyclists,  almost all I encountered last night were two cycle tourers and a small herd of roe deer crossing the road. There is a notable local landmark close by called the Winters Gibbet. From here I can look North to the Cheviots, which were still snow bound and provides the blackest sky. East, from the direction I travel from, has a little sky glow from Newcastle. Deeper into Northumberland or heading towards Kielder would eliminate that.

5 hours ago, scarp15 said:

Hi Piero

Yes it is Northumberland, 286m above sea level and with very good open vistas in all directions. It is not a place to be when the wind picks up. There is a minor road which provides access, popular with cyclists,  almost all I encountered last night were two cycle tourers and a small herd of roe deer crossing the road. There is a notable local landmark close by called the Winters Gibbet. From here I can look North to the Cheviots, which were still snow bound and provides the blackest sky. East, from the direction I travel from, has a little sky glow from Newcastle. Deeper into Northumberland or heading towards Kielder would eliminate that.

I think I know what you mean by "It is not a place to be when the wind picks up".. When I lived in Newcastle I used to observe with "normal" clothes.. On the hill where the old general hospital is placed, the wind was/is harsh.. there were times I came back to the lab completely frozen.. it took me a well half an hour for my body to return normal so that I could go back to work.

Despite this, I am proud that I spent some years over there. The best time of my life. Sky included! 

Archived