Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Power Tanks

Evening,

I posted this question on my other thread, but it has gone unanswered. I'm keen to get ordering...

Does the brand of power tank matter? The site I'm going to buy my dob from doesn't stock the Skywatcher 17ah power tank (odd as they're the official distributor) , but it stocks orion and celestron 17ah power tanks. Will these work with the skywatcher? 

Ta! :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they are all the same thing to be honest. FLO stock them and I think they will ship the Celestron or SW one depending on what is in stock. It should power the mount okay just check how many amps you are using with it (mount, cameras, dew heater etc) and divide that into the 17ah to get a rough idea, and then knock a couple of hours off to give you a safety buffer. If you run those things down you will "hurt" the battery and struggle to get it back up to capacity - they will need regularly charging as well to maintain capacity. I don't own one, just repeating what I have read on here. There are better options, although a bit more expensive (leisure batteries for example) but there are also cheaper ones - check Maplins and such for jump starters that might have higher capacities and cheaper price tags.

I have owned one and it was as much use as a chocolate fire guard.  If it was my money I would definitely look at better alternatives.  I have heard good reports on the Tracer batteries but better still use a regulated mains power supply like I do.

I'm new to this, so I'm very much open to alternatives. 

What choices are open to me for powering the scope? Forget the cost for the time being. 

Mains I can do within 10m of the house (extension cable), however we have quite a bit of land (roughly 25 acres) so running cable isn't ideal if I need to move further out fro the house.

I used to have one but left it discharged for too long and it died.

Then decided that for me the best solution was to go for one of the Tracer power packs.  Then to chose which technology ... and I ended-up paying out for the more expensive LiFePO4 ones (as they hold their voltage very well into low charge and they last for a massive number of cycles).  But they are more expensive that the LiPO technology that the astro shops seem to predominantly sell.  But the LiFePO4 ones are expensive. http://www.tracerpower.com

Ian

Which did you purchase, Ian?

Skywatcher recommend the 17ah power tank, so this would leave me with the choice of the 16ah lifepo4 or the 24 lifepo4. I intend to run my scope using a combination of the goto system and hooking my laptop upto the scope and using stellerium. I might, at some point, attach my DSLR. Will get a dual dew heater control as well.

I have 2 Halfords 4 in 1 Power tanks (jump start) both 17AH both  for less than the price of one of Skywatcher/Celestron  brands.

Using both I find them very good powering my dew shield & Atik Infinity, been out 4 hours and no problem in cold condition, recharging after each use is very important as mentioned.

57 minutes ago, DarrenH said:

Which did you purchase, Ian?

Skywatcher recommend the 17ah power tank, so this would leave me with the choice of the 16ah lifepo4 or the 24 lifepo4. I intend to run my scope using a combination of the goto system and hooking my laptop upto the scope and using stellerium. I might, at some point, attach my DSLR. Will get a dual dew heater control as well.

I still shudder about the cost of one I purchased.  So far the limited use (thanks to weather) it has had I've been happy with it.  I have found the company excellent when it comes to support and general questions about it (pre and post sales - very pleased).

But I'm a beginner and have constraints where I have a stronger need to buy once and use for a long time (i.e. get things that last better and don't need replacing and the min cycles of the battery was a major consideration swaying my decision).  Power draw wise currently it's mount, dew heaters (8" scope and finder), and laptop (actively driving DSLR); but I'm intending to move on to guiding and an astro camera so I wanted something that I would not have to worry about running out of power.

So I went for the LiFePO4 ones from http://www.tracerpower.com/tracer-lifepo4-batteries.html range.  I wont say what capacity as I am in no position/experience to advise and would not like my choice to be interpreted by anybody as "a good one to get".

Part of my self justification was the number of cycles they last for and that they maintain their voltage well even when very low on charge.

But expensive.

I suppose that when my Celestron Powertank thing died I thought the new ones were expensive for what you got.  I found you could get much cheaper solutions buying batteries from Farnell/RS/Amazon/etc. but I wanted something decently portable (and weight becomes a consideration).

Ian

1 hour ago, DarrenH said:

I'm new to this, so I'm very much open to alternatives. 

What choices are open to me for powering the scope? Forget the cost for the time being. 

Mains I can do within 10m of the house (extension cable), however we have quite a bit of land (roughly 25 acres) so running cable isn't ideal if I need to move further out fro the house.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/tracer-12v-22ah-lithium-polymer-battery-pack.html

or the smaller capacity ones

6 minutes ago, faulksy said:

I felt there was a big difference between Tracer's LiPO (as from link above sold by FLO and others) and the LiFePO4 packs (as I went for in the end).  LiFePO4 are more expensive but I felt dramatically better (my personal non-expert assessment).

Ian

Cheers for the replies.

The only issues I'm seeing between the 2 types of battery is the amount of charge cycles and price. The more expensive lifepro is offering 1400+ charges the other 300+. Since Skywatcher recommend 17ah, I don't really want to drop below that. This leaves me with the choice of a lithum 22ah @ 280ish + shipping or lifepo4 24ah at 360 + shipping.

In the long term the lifepo makes more sense. 1400+ charges is years upon years of usage. I'd have to buy 4 of the lithium batteries to match that. 280*4 = 1120.

When I researched I thought the LiFePO4 cells had a flatter discharge curve that the LiPO cells - but can't remember where I got that from so, being no expert, I can't reference the info (and maybe I got it wrong and maybe it is not so relevant ? - expert opinion anybody ?).

Ian

Edit: found this though https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26709

11 minutes ago, DarrenH said:

Does the battery come with everything you need to hook up to the scope/mount?

Mine (LiFePO4) came with battery, T-bar (fits to battery giving a 12v car cigarette lighter socket on a short bit of cable http://www.tracerpower.com/mini-t-bar-12v-socket.html) and charger (I think it came with a pretty carry bag I ignored).

If you have questions about differences or anything I found Tracer's technical answer e-mails quickly and are very helpful.

I reflected and prevaricated for ages as they are expensive.  And I do still reflect over what a cheaper battery would have enabled me to buy in terms of other astro gear.   I don't regret my choice but I am a beginner and not in a position to advise others - so just recounting what I did and why I did it and not advising.

Just noticed your location (France) and, if you were looking at Tracer's UK web site, I suspect you would be paying high delivery costs.

Ian

3 hours ago, 2STAR said:

I have 2 Halfords 4 in 1 Power tanks (jump start) both 17AH both  for less than the price of one of Skywatcher/Celestron  brands.

+1 for the Halfords 4 in 1, i t's what i currently use and not had any problems with it as yet,
recharge after every use and it's good to go,

I have one of these 17ah tanks. Mine is branded Orion (USA). Works fine - if you follow the instructions religiously. Read: Give it a full-charge once a month on a schedule, whether it needs it or not.

It's convienent and is something one should have for an emergency, not just powering a scope and/or computer. Especially with the weather-patterns going barking-mad.

Dave

7 hours ago, 2STAR said:

Using both I find them very good powering my dew shield & Atik Infinity, been out 4 hours and no problem in cold condition, recharging after each use is very important as mentioned.

Second this!  It comes with a lead that fits straight on my Celestrons.  There's also a socket for USB so I can keep my tablet powered up to control the 'scope.  AND there's a handy strong white light you can use when packing away.  Excellent solution.

Doug.

Morning,

So morning ramblings...(this is really for my benefit for keeping my thoughts written down + I'm procrastinating..)

3 options:

cheaper option - Orion Dynamo Pro 17ah - 159€ or Celestron PowerTank 17ah - 219€ the website gives no specs, so not sue why the Orion is that much cheaper. Must investigate.

middle ground - Tracer lithium 22ah - 257€ Very portable, bigger charge cycle then the above I expect. No additional features like the flashlight, so I'd have to buy one.

expensive - Tracer lifepro4 24ah - 360€ - Again very portable, with lots of headroom for adding additional equipment. Price and lack of light are cons though.

4 minutes ago, DarrenH said:

Morning,

So morning ramblings...(this is really for my benefit for keeping my thoughts written down + I'm procrastinating..)

3 options:

cheaper option - Orion Dynamo Pro 17ah - 159€ or Celestron PowerTank 17ah - 219€ the website gives no specs, so not sue why the Orion is that much cheaper. Must investigate.

middle ground - Tracer lithium 22ah - 257€ Very portable, bigger charge cycle then the above I expect. No additional features like the flashlight, so I'd have to buy one.

expensive - Tracer lifepro4 24ah - 360€ - Again very portable, with lots of headroom for adding additional equipment. Price and lack of light are cons though.

Using the white light on those things will kill your dark adaption for a week.  I took the bulb out of mine to make sure I did not turn it on by mistake.  If light is a concern, I find a headtorch with a red filter ideal - right illumination levels and localised to where you want it and does not take any hands ....

Ian

Just ordered scope -  SW 250 GoTo flextube. :D

No idea when it's arriving though.The website gave no hint to stock levels or delivery dates....(the French are quite backwards when it comes to tech). Expect I'll receive an email in the morning.

It's a shame the weather will be crap for weeks :/ This time last year we were hitting the mid 20s with clear blue skies. Today was cloudy and 12..sigh!

I use a Lithium Ion Power Bank, the ones that are used to start cars.

I posted a write up of my experience of using it. It's not plain sailing as you do have to use it in a certain way, but having said that it works just great. Used it for 3 hours and the level indicater stilled showed all 4 charge level lights.

Pros

Cheaper, holds its charge longer, charges fast, large capacity, lighter, small size.

Cons

Have to keep led light on to stop it auto powering off (cover led with black tape).

The one here branded as Orion (USA) is the same as the Celestron one is the same as the Meade is the.....etc, etc. 17 ah. I am currently use it to power the computer I'm on right now - my monthly task to run it down a bit before a monthly re-charge. as per the manual. If you opt for one of these - just get the one at the lowest price. Here's the Orion one over here:

http://www.telescope.com/Accessories/Power-Supplies-Cables/Orion-Dynamo-Pro-17Ah-Rechargeable-12V-DC-Power-Station/pc/-1/c/3/sc/396/p/103044.uts

And the Celestron branded one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=320348&gclid=CM208sXBrswCFcdehgodqOAAHQ&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677682%2C&A=details&Q=

And so on.

Dave

Archived