NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar or not?

Hi,

I won't be in the UK for the Mercury transit but over the last few weeks I have been looking at some impressive solar images.

Having had a lifetime of 'never look at the sun' the thought of solar observing scares the pants off me but am really thinking it's something I'd like to do. Why miss out on something so magnificent?

I would invest in the film/filter to do it - absolute safety - but the thought still gives me concern - after all how safe is it? Surely the film degrades over time?

Advice to help me make the leap much appreciated.

I was thinkn of getn th solar filter myself for th transet I was just wanting to find out once you fit th filter to your scope is tht it you cn just go ahead and just swap EPs and it's completely safe on th eyes any1 use 1 of these yet

Baader Solar film is great stuff for a very reasonable price. If you do not trust your DIY skills to make a suitable mounting (really easy "Blue Peter" level project), you can simply buy one ready made for your scope. Mind you get a visual solar filter (photographic ones let through much more light). Once installed securely it is perfectly safe. I do check for pinhole punctures every time, simply by holding it up against the light. Stored properly, Baader film lasts long.

Hi I have used an Astrozap solar filter for about a year now. As long as you follow all the safety guidelines and carefully check the filter before each use it is perfectly safe to use. I recently purchased a Lunt Herschel wedge and have found this used with a solar continuum filter gives much better views.

As for changing eyepieces, as long as the filter is securely fixed to your scope this is not a problem, although I tend to use a zoom eyepiece so that I do not have to change the continuum filter for each eyepiece.

IT is very sensible to approach solar observation with caution. The Baader solar film however is specifically designed to do the job as Michael says. The instructions, advice and warnings that Baader include with the film are incredibly informative and comprehensive. Like a lot of things, when done correctly the risks are minimised and subsequent hazards encountered unlikely. There is a specific forum section on solar observing and imaging and of course a pre-emptive thread regarding the transit in the header. Do your homework and it should be fine. 

I do more solar observing than night time observing these days basically as there is more opportunity as I can do some in my lunch break at work. It's a fascinating, rewarding and changeable pastime which is perfectly safe as long as you follow the basic and simple rules of the kit. My recommendation would be to look longer term and buy a 1.25" Lunt wedge in used condition if you can find one - should be about £100. This will work only with a doublet refractor such as the Skywatcher 80mm but in my opinion is the safest and best way to solar observe for the money involved. OK a Baader cool wedge at about £300 used would be better but not massively.

Observing with the correct film on a filter housing that will not be dislodged is also very safe and provides great views for the more casual observer. I have never looked back since getting the wedge.

I'm not a solar fan, we see so little of the Sun here in Middle Earth. However for eclipses and transits , I made a solar filter from Baader solar film and this near free solar finder from a cardboard box. Hole is a sixteenth and the finder screen is grease roof paper. Fixing to the ota is by parcel tape or gaffs tape, whichever hadn't been lost.

Whatever you do, don't go trying to line up the Sun by eye, Nick.

image.jpeg

55 minutes ago, REG78 said:

Does tht mean if I got a continium solar filter I could just screw onto EP and not need th filter for front of th scope

Certainly not. You absolutely do need the solar film/filter on the front of the scope. A solar continuum filter is used at the back with the EP. It just sharpens the details that are already there. 

Definitely not. The SC filter simply enhances the detail visible. You need to reduce the light intensity substantially first with either a film filter on the objective or a herschel wedge and ND3.0 filter first before using either a SC filter and/or a polariser

3 hours ago, cotterless45 said:

I'm not a solar fan, we see so little of the Sun here in Middle Earth. However for eclipses and transits , I made a solar filter from Baader solar film and this near free solar finder from a cardboard box. Hole is a sixteenth and the finder screen is grease roof paper. Fixing to the ota is by parcel tape or gaffs tape, whichever hadn't been lost.

Whatever you do, don't go trying to line up the Sun by eye, Nick.

image.jpeg

Does that come with a standard finder shoe Nick? ?

36 minutes ago, cotterless45 said:

I put my sole into making that, it's bound to last. Although it looks like a load of cobblers, I'm sure it'll step up to the mark,?

Probably at the zenith of my DIY, the only way is down !

old Nick.

Another post laced with humour Nick ?

I'm sure it will be grand. Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase 'watching the box'!

Archived