Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar upgrade for observing

No matter how much I read and research I am unable to make an informed decision so would be grateful for help from experienced solar viewing members. I currently use my SW 120mm Startravel, solar film, home made finder and a WO 2 inch dielectric diagonal to observe the sun and would like to up my game and observe in H-Alpha.

Would  it be cost effective to buy accessories for the 120. If so what should I buy?  Herschel wedge, solar scope etalon, H A filters?Would it be better to buy a dedicated scope Lunt or colorardo bearing in mind I am on a limited budget. All advice greatfully received thank you.

You could plug a Daystar Quark into your ST120 but it's still £1000 and there have been so many issues with them I hesitate to suggest them. Lunt 50 is about the same price and considerably more reliable (in my opinion). On a budget, then a second hand PST or Lunt 35 for about £400 -500 is probably as low as you will get.

I have a Herschel wedge for white light: Gives much better views than plain film on a homemade cap. I have seen professional made caps with film and the views were better than my Blue Peter efforts.

The Herschel wedge is great, nice and crisp.

I also have a Lunt 50mm B400 and a PST. The PST is for sale.

Both are good but the Lunt is slightly more friendly for imaging, the PST was really built for visual observing, but it can be done with care.

The Lunt 50 has a pressure tuner. Basically you wind in a large knob which pushes in a plunger to raise pressure to tune the scope to see the Proms etc. The PST uses a smaller manual tuner that actually looks like an EP securing screw. The Lunt needs a stiffer mount as the pressure tuner gets stiffers as you wind it in and can shift the image. The OPST works on the fingers.

The 40mm PST gives nice bright images as does the 50mm Lunt. The 60mm would give even better detail.

I find the Lunt more forgiving with EP's too. The PST does not like my TV Delite eps, but the Lunt is good.

The above has been based on me doing some simple side by side tests. Which one do I like....er...both!

Hope this helps..

2 hours ago, baggywrinkle said:

The PST uses a smaller manual tuner that actually looks like an EP securing screw.

That's actually the focus..... The etalon tuning on the PST is done by turning the rubber collar ahead of the main body of the unit, ie at the back end of the gold tube

If buying a used PST (and possibly other solar scopes), watch out for "rusty" filters.  I don't know the details, but apparently after 3 years or so, some of the (early?) PSTs filter(s?) go bad (due to oxidation?).  Search for details on the web.

13 hours ago, Stu said:

That's actually the focus..... The etalon tuning on the PST is done by turning the rubber collar ahead of the main body of the unit, ie at the back end of the gold tube

Sorry my error, you are correct. Should have re read my post.

That said the PST tuner is  easier to use as there is less resistance and less torque needed compared to the Lunt.

Archived