NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Version of Stellarium

I recently downloaded the latest version of Stellarium (0.14.3). Whilst I've had no problems with previous versions, this one's just a real mess. It crashes constantly, freezes, the control panel (bottom left) only partly appears and when on the odd occasion it does run, I have to click some way above the object I want to highlight.

I uninstalled it and downloaded it again, but it's no better. I'm using a PC running Win 7.

Anyone else seeing this?

PS I should point out that I'm not really bothered. I don't use Stellarium as a rule, just wondered if anyone else was having the same problems.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, DeepSkyBagger said:

I recently downloaded the latest version of Stellarium (0.14.3). Whilst I've had no problems with previous versions, this one's just a real mess. It crashes constantly, freezes, the control panel (bottom left) only partly appears and when on the odd occasion it does run, I have to click some way above the object I want to highlight.

I uninstalled it and downloaded it again, but it's no better. I'm using a PC running Win 7.

Anyone else seeing this?

PS I should point out that I'm not really bothered. I don't use Stellarium as a rule, just wondered if anyone else was having the same problems.

YES I thought it was just me....thank you now I can sleep better.....utter rubbish this one....

It's the one that the automated email that told me there was a new version linked to. Also, if you go to www.stellarium.org, this is the version that's available. I don't know where you're looking to see 1.1.0. Can't make my version run to look!

I have just checked the downloaded files. The down load setup is 0.14.2-win64.exe

But in the top right hand corner of Stellarium when running it gives the version as 1.1.0

This has run fine on my Win7 computer for some time now. But I don't use it much.

Strange!

Derek

I've just uninstalled 0.14.3 and reinstalled 0.13.3. Now that has the same issues. I noticed that the Stellarium installation routine also installed a new version of C++ - on both versions. I wonder if this is the problem?

Anyway, as I said, I don't really use it, it's just nice to look at occasionally. With that in mind, I'm off to delete it.

Cheers.

34 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

I'm running 0.14.3 on a couple of Win 10 x64 PC's with no issues, in fact now that the requirement for OpenGL is not enforced, it even works ok in remote desktop.

I'm running Win 7 x64. Maybe the newer version of Stellarium is optimised for later versions of Windows. Odd that my old version 0.13.3 should also start playing up at the same time though.

I tried installing the latest version on my brothers laptop running win7 and that won't work either after clicking on the desktop icon a message appears saying Windows is searching for a solution but can't try again later typical.

30 minutes ago, JemC said:

i run 0.14.2 version on windows 10 and had no problems at all (yet) :icon_biggrin:

In that case, if Stellarium is useful to you, I would stick with that and not download 0.14.3. I'll keep an eye on the website and report back when a newer version is released. Surely somebody's got to be complaining about it!

Stellarium has always been weird. I stopped running it on Windows a few years ago when it kept pushing the BIOS clock ahead a couple of seconds when the application was opened. I just couldn't uninstall Stellarium completely no matter what I did. Eventually I backed up all my files and reinstalled Windows (Win 7 HP). I run CDC, VMA and Celestia on Windows but I only run Stellarium on Ubuntu now as it is in the Ubuntu repo.

I have been running Stellarium 0.13.4 64 bit with Windows 10 since it was released and have had no problems with it at all. In fact it's a great improvement from previous versions

Martyn.

3 minutes ago, ringz said:

I have been running Stellarium 0.13.4 64 bit with Windows 10 since it was released and have had no problems with it at all. In fact it's a great improvement from previous versions

Martyn.

I had no problems with that one either. It's the latest release that seems to have messed up.

Glad I found this thread after SGL spent the last few hours down-for-maintainence.....

I'd been thinking of loading the new 0.14.3 64bit in my Windoze 8.1 (Classic Shell). I've been running 0.14.2 for quite awhile without any issues. In view of what I've read here, me thinks I'll hold off on that. Alex Wolf should be about ready to tell us what's going on. It's quite convienent to have a member here who is also one of the main developer's of Stellarium.

I certainly hope - and counsel - that those with problems with the new '.3' version have written-up your full experiences and put them on the main page of the 'Bugs' link in Stellarium. Here's the direct link to the spot for these:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/stellarium

And thank you for this thread, folks. On a more upbeat note, SkyTechX has a new beta out that I'm running without any issues. If you'd like to check out this software-program, here's the link off to it in the Czech Republic:

http://www.skytechx.eu/

This should keep you off the streets for awhile!

Dave :D

All you guys having problems run a system restore. Soinds to me like some of the programme coding is screwie on 0.14.3.  

6 hours ago, ringz said:

Where did you download that from? If I try and download from the official website it tries to send me 0.13.4

Martyn.

However maybe they no this, have pulled it and released an updated version according to ringz above ! Might be worth installing that indtead. Remember a system restore takes you back to before you made any system alterations and is a foolproof way of ensuring a programme is completely removed if it does not work, albeit slightly long winded. In W7 goto start/accesories/system tools i think

Archived