NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Good Prospects for Tonight

SnakeyJ

Scope is out from some solar today. Seeing wasn't to great but perhaps better tonight once things settle. Visual only so I seem to have got lost in the imaging section ??

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Scope is out from some solar today. Seeing wasn't to great but perhaps better tonight once things settle. Visual only so I seem to have got lost in the imaging section ??

You're most welcome to this darker corner of the forum ;)

21 minutes ago, ngwillym said:

(Almost) Full Moon? and only ~12 degrees from Jupiter?

Not a good night for deepsky,  but I reckon Jupiter and Perhaps even Saturn could be worth ago provided the cloud doesn't interfere.  Worst case there will be some lunar action.....

Setup and cooling already

40 minutes ago, ngwillym said:

(Almost) Full Moon? and only ~12 degrees from Jupiter?

Moon doesn't really affect planetary observing, in fact it can improve the colour you see by stimulating your cones more. Not sure the same applies to planetary imaging which is why I shouldn't be here ??

Yet again the prospects looked great only to be rewarded with very poor seeing. This has happened a lot this year (certainly in my region anyway) and I'm not that confident it going to change much but let's hope I'm wrong. Saw a FB post from Mr Peach out in Barbados filling up his hard drive under the usual excellent conditions out there...it's so tempting!!!

Pete. 

33 minutes ago, theo said:

Yet again the prospects looked great only to be rewarded with very poor seeing. This has happened a lot this year (certainly in my region anyway) and I'm not that confident it going to change much but let's hope I'm wrong. Saw a FB post from Mr Peach out in Barbados filling up his hard drive under the usual excellent conditions out there...it's so tempting!!!

Pete. 

PI in the UK is always going to require a mile wide stubborn streak to grapple with the less than optimal weather, atmospherics and low elevations.    But the challenge is still rewarding when the perseverance finally pays off and you get some half decent data and modern cameras and cheap ADC's are certainly helping.

Though I'm sure we'd all give it up for a fortnight in Barbados every year ;)

46 minutes ago, SnakeyJ said:

PI in the UK is always going to require a mile wide stubborn streak to grapple with the less than optimal weather, atmospherics and low elevations.    But the challenge is still rewarding when the perseverance finally pays off and you get some half decent data and modern cameras and cheap ADC's are certainly helping.

Though I'm sure we'd all give it up for a fortnight in Barbados every year ;)

The point I'm  trying to make though is that something is clearly different this year to previous years. Yes Jupiter is at a lower elevation but I've had much better seeing and results on Saturn at 21 degrees elevation on several occasions in 2014 than I've seen at any point on Jupiter so far this year. It might be the El Nino effect who knows.

I do agree that the rewards for a good result through sheer perseverance keep us going in the UK though!!!

Pete 

Archived