SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Some DSO's I recently sketched + Jupiter & GRS

memoryman

Very nice sketches memory man, I wish I had the same ability and patience! I struggle to concentrate on observing whilst sketching, although unknown it helps you pick out more details.

One question though, I recall M65 and M66 and being quite distinctly parallel to each other, which doesn't seem to be the case in your sketch. I'll have another check next time out.

6 hours ago, Stu said:

Very nice sketches memory man, I wish I had the same ability and patience! I struggle to concentrate on observing whilst sketching, although unknown it helps you pick out more details.

One question though, I recall M65 and M66 and being quite distinctly parallel to each other, which doesn't seem to be the case in your sketch. I'll have another check next time out.

Re: M65 &M66 sketch. You've got me thinking now. I've looked at images and other sketches of them and there appears to be a distinct set of 4 stars, 3 of which are almost in a line leading away from the core of M66 to the left of M65 (with M66 at the bottom). Plus there is an extra star that when lined up with the middle star of the 3 aims directly at the core of M65. I'll have to double check. It could have been my impression of them on the night I suppose, but I'm intrigued. Thanks for pointing it out. 

16 minutes ago, memoryman said:

Re: M65 &M66 sketch. You've got me thinking now. I've looked at images and other sketches of them and there appears to be a distinct set of 4 stars, 3 of which are almost in a line leading away from the core of M66 to the left of M65 (with M66 at the bottom). Plus there is an extra star that when lined up with the middle star of the 3 aims directly at the core of M65. I'll have to double check. It could have been my impression of them on the night I suppose, but I'm intrigued. Thanks for pointing it out. 

I tried to get the orientation of this image from SkySafari roughly similar to your sketch to make it easier. The two appear parallel in SS, although the core of M66 looks skewed which may explain what you saw.

Please don't think I am picking fault, I'm genuinely interested in what you saw vs my view the other day.

image.jpeg

image.png

• 3 months later...

Beautiful sketches I love how raw they look but also packed with detail.

I at the moment only sketch DSO and I do find the longer you observe one object the more detail you see.

it truly is a great way to observe for me the only way I want to. Thanks for sharing again and keep sketching.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived