Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Evolution 9.25 mount wobble.

Theninjagecko

Not vibration. The mount is very sturdy but tonight I noticed it seems loose even though everything's tightened up. Its hard to explain so I made a video. Is this normal ? Thanks. Apologies early for the camera orientation and the Walsall accent :p 

Looks to me like the main centre bearing keeper has come loose slightly inside .

Just remove the plastic casings and you will get a better look , just be careful that all wires are either un-plugged or away from the cases as you remove them and same when reassembling , just take your time .

I dont have one of these but a friend does and its very sturdy .

Good luck , but I dont think it to major .

Brian.

I will check mine later and see if it is the same. Mine has play on the ALT clutch but that is normal. How does it feel and act under load? Wondering now if there is a link between this and your earlier tracking issue?

The video shows the problem well and your accent is very intelligible.

I think Brian is right. Good luck, and be careful as Brian says.

Edited by Ruud

4 hours ago, JG777 said:

I will check mine later and see if it is the same. Mine has play on the ALT clutch but that is normal. How does it feel and act under load? Wondering now if there is a link between this and your earlier tracking issue?

Thanks mate, let me know.

There is play in the bearing. It should not be

like that.  These come with a 2 year warranty.

It needs sorting out.  Leave it alone. Get in

touch with who U bought it off of. Not a cheap

bit of kit, to muck around with.

Steve.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Grotemobile said:

There is play in the bearing. It should not be

like that.  These come with a 2 year warranty.

It needs sorting out.  Leave it alone. Get in

touch with who U bought it off of. Not a cheap

bit of kit, to muck around with.

Steve.

How do I contact Celestron ?

I just checked mine and it is solid, no movement like in your video. I would take this up with your dealer, show them that video. I would not be tempted to take it apart if its under warranty in case something more goes wrong. Your dealer will contact Celestron and probably swap the mount out. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2016 at 22:35, Theninjagecko said:

Not vibration. The mount is very sturdy but tonight I noticed it seems loose even though everything's tightened up. Its hard to explain so I made a video. Is this normal ? Thanks. Apologies early for the camera orientation and the Walsall accent :p 

Yes, mine is exactly the same as yours, i get the same movement as you do, been like that a while now but hasn't seemed to get worse, and tracking etc appear to be unaffected.

Eric

Mine has no movement so as above I'd talk to your supplier first before attempting to take it apart yourself. 

If the supplier can't fix or replace and it doesn't impact on viewing or tracking then I wouldn't do anything. 

Regards,

Tony

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mine did the same. The mount rotates on three Delrin pads running on a bare aluminium track on the underside of the mount casting and turns on a pin running in the arm casting base - there is no radial bearing. Above this is a needle roller bearing and a thin nut and thick washer for adjustment. The nut should be finger tight only and as such should be glued with Loctite 263 or similar red high strength retainer to prevent it from undoing. There was no glue on mine, the threads were well lubricated, and when I hung the mount and OTA on a wedge the nut unscrewed until it hit the cast alloy brake disk. I then had the choice of sending the mount back under warranty or repair it myself. I chose the latter option. WARNINGS - this mount contains a high energy battery which must be disconnected from the motor board before any work can be carried out; it's the 4-way connector with the red and black wires. Disconnect from the board and insulate with tape. Celestron and its agents will also disown you if they find out. Send it back if you aren't 100% sure what you are doing or wish to retain the warranty. Mine is now better than new, and I know the work is good, and it is impossible to tell that I have been in there. I also know that I will probably have to redo the work as the three pads wear down and will need replacing - their height controls the worm and wheel meshing height. This also gave me the chance to grease the bearing and sliding faces with Superlube synthetic PTFE grease as there was virtually none there before. I will post a load of snaps and and some blurb in due course.

• 2 years later...

gaseous, my evolution mount is exhibiting the same wobble that you resolved back in 2016.  I've got the mount taken apart but i can't figure out how to remove the threaded post that the clutch adjustment knob threads on to.  I've removed the large gear and I've removed the hex bolt that is threaded into the top of the post, and I've loosened the 3 set screws on the side of the post, but I can't get it to pop out.  Once I get this piece off, I'll be able to hand tighten the nut and apply Loctite.   Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,I have the same problem with an evo 9.25, mine was one of the first in the country(with the crap wi fi!) bought it at Skycamp about six years ago,so way out of warranty,If we get there this year,will see if he has any answers,I think I know what has caused it,my is stored in the summerhouse,and I tend to heave the thing out in one peice because it's such a problem dropping it on the lug,now with the 9.25 that's a lot of weight hanging of the bottom plate,and it's that that has caused play in the bearing,I too have had the top off,but didn't or darednt! go any further,just have to live with it for now,it seems to track o.k. but will be taking out in two peices from now on,also doesn't like skyalighn,have to use auto two star,could be because of the play