SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

moon problems

brrttpaul

I took 300 RAW images of the moon the other night, the plan was convert them to AVI then stack them in registax, the problem i,m getting is no matter what I try it fails, tried PIPP astroskert (spelling) registax, converted them all ways but keep failing. In PIPP theres a cropped button thats always ticked, if I leave it ticked and run it then put it through registax I get a big zoomed in piece of the moon (which is nice but not what I,m after, if I untick the crop then it constantly fails. only option left i can see is convert them to jpegs then try that in registax. anyone have any ideas where im going wrong? shame to waste 300 subs

hi Paul, when shooting the moon i shoot in jpeg ,it saves a load of time and messing about "let your camera do the work"  its not like DS where you need a lot more control over your image, im sure a lot of people will be saying "you have to shoot in Raw",but belive me mate you dont,give it a try. clear skys charl.

47 minutes ago, brrttpaul said:

I took 300 RAW images of the moon the other night, the plan was convert them to AVI then stack them in registax, the problem i,m getting is no matter what I try it fails, tried PIPP astroskert (spelling) registax, converted them all ways but keep failing. In PIPP theres a cropped button thats always ticked, if I leave it ticked and run it then put it through registax I get a big zoomed in piece of the moon (which is nice but not what I,m after, if I untick the crop then it constantly fails. only option left i can see is convert them to jpegs then try that in registax. anyone have any ideas where im going wrong? shame to waste 300 subs

What was the file size of the .AVI file ?

got there at last (well sort of) I ended up converting them to jpegs then registax (it just wouldnt do it in RAW for some reason). Not the greatest photo but my first stack of  the moon so happy in the end. need to play with wavelets a bit more to get used to them

moon.jpg

I think i saved the file as TIFF then I pllayed with it in photoshop and lightroom then exported in jpeg, I couldnt use all the 300 images though only half of them and then 80% of that dont ask me why but whenever i tried the 300 it wouldnt work

If you consider the fact that DSS  outputs a TIFF of about 50MB and 3 foot by 2 foot I think any of the planetary / solar imaging programs would choke on 300 of them :)

As Charl says you may as well capture JPEGS and even the you can downsize them before processing.

Dave

10 hours ago, brrttpaul said:

....... In PIPP theres a cropped button thats always ticked..............I get a big zoomed in piece of the moon

In the crop selection in PIPP, you can set the size of the crop, and press the test button to see the effect of the crop on your image.

Untitled.thumb.png.afe44b6b255e1d724a27b

10 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

hi Paul, when shooting the moon i shoot in jpeg ,it saves a load of time and messing about "let your camera do the work"  its not like DS where you need a lot more control over your image, im sure a lot of people will be saying "you have to shoot in Raw",but belive me mate you dont,give it a try. clear skys charl.

Sorry Charl but shooting in JPEG will never produce as finely detailed an image as shooting in RAW , and will not save time either .

In AS!2 you can adjust the align box size , keep the boxes to 300 for a DSLR stack and the program flies through it's stuff , small boxes and therefore many more boxes makes for heavy and slow work for the program and can take forever to stack ... my DSLR Solar stacks never take more than about 50 seconds when stacking 60 x TIFF files ... each at 50Mb ... !

Steve, ive tryed both ways with my pics and for me i find the jpeg route less fuss , i use Raw for DS but i do sol in jpeg too, 300 frames from shots to regi to photoshop to putting on here  around 30 min and thats not rushing about, maybe my pics ant up to raw standard because ive done the same pic both ways and carnt see a lot of difference.:icon_salut: charl.

2 hours ago, ArmyAirForce said:

In the crop selection in PIPP, you can set the size of the crop, and press the test button to see the effect of the crop on your image.

Untitled.thumb.png.afe44b6b255e1d724a27b

thats the one, I was always trying to untick it, if i had noticed the test option button i would have tried that. Might give it another go tomorrow using that and see if theres much difference . Thx guys for all your help

If you crop the original RAW files in PIPP at first your files end up much smaller. I do 2500x2000 at first and get rid of a lot of black area. I do leave some so I have the option to crop more later. The AVI file out of PIPP was 683 MB. I've never had a instance with any of these programs not working with this workflow. Maybe your computer does not have enough memory? In the end the RAW file route and result is very clean. I'm a believer. I do like your stacked moon shot just needs a bit less contrast and some highlight recovery and it's perfect.

When I first tried Registax v6, I had loads of trouble with it in Win 7, with it partially stacking and then locking up. If I just used it for wavelets on an already stacked tiff, not all of the pop up boxes like Gamma and Histogram, would open properly. Re-installs didn't fix the issue so I gave up on it and went back to Regi v5.1 for wavelets. More recently, I reinstalled it and it works, though still occasionally locks up when stacking, so perhaps it had some conflict with windows which is now fixed. Now, I almost always use Autostakkert!2 for stacking now, and Regi v5.1 for wavelets. With DSLR images or videos, I always crop with PIPP to start with, and haven't had problems.

Archived