Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My latest Solar project

Jamie

As a couple of you know i have been dabbling in a couple of solar projects of late,

PSTbins being the latest one.

Here are a couple of images of the latest setup.

6460_normal.jpeg

6462_normal.jpeg

6461_normal.jpeg

All comments and questions welcome.

Thanks for looking...

How do the two images merge then Jamie? Looks a pretty neat setup.

It seems the focusing for both is on the same side, so there must be a shaft passing through the pair of them, but I don't see a prism arrangement unless you have done it another way. Best let you explain it yourself I suppose.

Also, the block paving is classy too. Very tidy indeed. Looks new even.

Ron. :D

Looks good Jamie, are they reasonably adjustable or have you had to set them up for your eye-to-eye distance. Are you using the individual original focussing mechanisms, I suppose that's a good way of adjusting for eye differences.

You must get a hell of an image through these, the ability of the humain brain to produce an image from the two sources gives a very good view in binos where the image intensity is halved, you must almost get information overload!

Steve.

Steve

The view is great even though i have not had a pair of good eyepieces to use on them yet. (problem being solved by FLO as we speak)

Gaz

Yes they do work mate, The views take a bit of getting used to- but, there is a big learning curve in using this type of mod.

After a couple of viewing sessions i will have it nailed....

Blinky

You can have a look through them at Kielder if you please matey.

Ron

The 2 images merge because of the platform "which i designed myself".

It's an interpupillary adjustable platform "IAP" that the PST's sit on. (see design below)

6476_normal.png

6477_normal.png

Drawing created using Excel.

There is a similar platform on the market just now but its not as adjustable or well thought out as mine.

Focusing is the same with ordinary PST's only you have to focus for each eye separately.

That was my next question mate: How easy is it to get the two images focused and 'looking' (for want of a better word) the same?

Like i said Gaz its not that hard seeing as the platform was designed for that very purpose mate...

You obviously know what you're doing Jamie, and I am trying to. I see a spring loaded plunger at the centre of the two blocks. The two flanking adjusters, allow movement of the two relative to each other in a lateral direction. What about a vertical component, or is it somewhere else, or not necessary at all. On the other hand, I may be getting the wrong picture altogether.

Also, is the acquirement of two perfectly aligned images, merged into one by the brain, or is a 3D image the goal. Sorry mate, I won't ask anymore after this. :D

Ron.

You obviously know what you're doing Jamie, and I am trying to. I see a spring loaded plunger at the centre of the two blocks. The two flanking adjusters, allow movement of the two relative to each other in a lateral direction. What about a vertical component, or is it somewhere else, or not necessary at all. On the other hand, I may be getting the wrong picture altogether.

Also, is the acquirement of two perfectly aligned images, merged into one by the brain, or is a 3D image the goal. Sorry mate, I won't ask anymore after this. :D

Ron.

No worries Ron ask away matey...

You ARE getting there mate...

I have studied and thought out most every up/downside to this mod.

As for the vertical movement.

The presision and quality of how this platform was made has more or less ensured that there is no movement vertically.

But just to be overly sure i have a length of dovetail bar under the platform to make sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Well i made the trip over to Jamies this afternoon,as luck would have it the Sun was out (an important factor),id come to see the HA Binos,ive seen a lot of

Solar mods but this was a new one on me,i have to say the rig does look quite

impressive and the platform mount is solid.

Now for the important bit does it work ??? I sat down to have a look,the initial images were blurred then within the space of a minute both images merged to form one...this was a waking moment...i could see a detailed "in your face"

image...unlike the sometimes hard to access PST views...i was sure of a definate

feeling of curvature by the Suns limb...and closer inspection of the surface revealed some Filaments and good "super granulation" (orange peel) features.

The view was intoxicating and made easy by being able to use both eyes,making it much more a relaxing experience.The seeing today was poor with gusty winds so it does beg the question what will the views be like under more favourable conditions?

The only word of caution would be is that i consider myself an experienced HA observer and others trying this Mod may find it slighty harder to access.

Having said that...anyone used to Binos will benifit from trying this rigg.

I look forward to trying it again.

Brian

Archived