SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ISS Lunar Pass

I was out with some of my CNAAG astrobuddies for the ISS lunar pass today. We were so lucky to get our shots between clouds and just as the wind died for a bit.

Here are the original AVI, GIF slowed down (desaturated) and a still (using Free Video to JPEG Converter, JPEG converted to TIFF and processed in PS and desaturated -  there's probably a better way!)

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/p1o0w389bj94kkp/ISS_Pass.avi

http://www.mediafire.com/view/tmt1o5cr6svwi36/ISS%20Pass%20-%20greyscale.gif

http://www.mediafire.com/view/zovc29o4avx23op/ISS%20Snap%20-%20desaturated.jpg

Alexxx

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys!

12 hours ago, StarlightKnight said:

Great capture Alex

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

If you use PIPP you can get Tiffs directly from the avi

Well done again

Don

Thank you! So Pipp can produce stills of the whole AVI? Or I can isolate just the one frame?

Fabulous stuff. It's really good to see the ISS illuminated as it crosses the moon, rather than as a silhouette.

We had two ISS transits of the moon here yesterday, 3 hours apart, but I missed both of them due to cloud.

Alex

Unfortunately in PIPP you can't select individual frames to save as Tiffs but you can easily delete any you don't want to keep.

For a long avi sequence with ISS shots PIPP will select and centre just the frames with ISS in them and either output as an avi or tiffs or bmps

Happy hunting

Don

8 hours ago, MilwaukeeLion said:

That's awesome, little buggers movin ! 

LOL! :laugh:

7 hours ago, StarlightKnight said:

Alex

Unfortunately in PIPP you can't select individual frames to save as Tiffs but you can easily delete any you don't want to keep.

For a long avi sequence with ISS shots PIPP will select and centre just the frames with ISS in them and either output as an avi or tiffs or bmps

Happy hunting

Don

Thanks Don. I'll have a look at that

It looks as though the ISS will pass in front of the moon over my bit of SE London tomorrow afternoon at about 2.34.  I have the day off work, the sun's shining, so I may head out with my C8 to see if I can catch it. 

The challenge will be how to get enough of the moon into the field of view.  Would it be worth using video mode on my DSLR, or should I use focal reducers and try to catch it with a QHY5? 

What camera did you use for this, Alexxx?

I used my 200P and my ZWO ASI120MC cam, so the FOV was very small. One of our guys had printed a map from CalSky so we had a detailed map of the pass, so I lined things up as best I could, but it was fiddly. If you don't mind not having a close-up, then using your DSLR on video mode would be good, or use continuous shooting. I've been told the latter is best for detail, but I've not done that. The DSLR's sensor is much bigger so you have a much larger FOV and less fiddling! Good luck!

Alex

In PIPP for your moon transit you need to select Solar / Lunar Close up

Then drag the red box over a prominent crater - preferably not one that the ISS is going to pass too close to

Click on Processing tab and deselect Crop frames to area of interest

Click on Output tab and select output format Tiff

Click Do processing tab

Click start processing

Hope that works

Don

Archived