Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Weights for ED 80 pro

SkyExplorer

I can't get the tube forward enough, it was right at the limit with my 450D and now that I have a 7Dmk2 it will need weights.

I've looked at ankle weights online before, but not sure they look long enough to go around the tube.  Have you used them before, if so could you recommend any?

Thanks

20 minutes ago, SkyExplorer said:

I can't get the tube forward enough, it was right at the limit with my 450D and now that I have a 7Dmk2 it will need weights.

I've looked at ankle weights online before, but not sure they look long enough to go around the tube.  Have you used them before, if so could you recommend any?

Thanks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Weights-Velcro-Fastening/dp/B010Q8I4BC/ref=sr_1_6?s=fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1454609361&sr=1-6 The straps can be adjusted between 380 and 200 mm, so between 120 and 64mm diameter.

This might help. here's my old rig. 

If you look I've moved the ota further up in the rings and moved the dovetail up in the clamp. 

I never really had any issueswith balance with any of my scopes no matter what combination I've used.

FB_IMG_1454629726890.jpg

I have HEQ5 mount,  I think the tube has been slide down inside the clamps as far as it will go and the dovetail is as far forward as it will go (cannot go flush with the mount as the screw that holds one of the rings is in the way). I'll have a look tonight and see if I can get it to balance with the 7dmk2.

I also think the main difference between your setup pictured and mine is that I use the 10x50 finder scope with QHY5 camera for PHD, so this adds weight to the camera end of the scope.  With your setup your guider is mounted in line with the main scope on the mount.

Maybe instead of a weight either a longer dovetail for the main tube or could I piggy back my finder/guiding scope like yours?

So my options seem to be

1. Upgrade the saddle, how would this help (sorry for silly question)?
2. Longer dovetail, would this work on it's own or should I do option 3 as well.
3. Is there a way that I could mount the finderscope on the main tube ring(s) as this will help shift the centre of balance away from the camera end?

Thanks

id try the longer dove tail first, and if not quite there ,some small guide scope rings but i think you would need another dove bar on top of your ED tube rings so you can get the guide rings close anoth for you finder guider "you will allready have the short dovetail" but the easy way would be the weights.goodluck,charl.

Is it better to avoid adding weights and keep the overall weight lower?

If I get the long dovetail bar, is there a quick release way of mounting the finder guider on the main tube rings so that I can still pack the scope away in it box after use?

I'm puzzled why you are unable to balance this as I have used the DSLR and same ED80 with finder guider and original mounting rings and dovetail and had no problem getting it all to balance.  Unless your DSLR is a lot heavier than mine which was a 450D.  

Can only suggest a longer dovetail.  

Carole 

1 hour ago, carastro said:

I'm puzzled why you are unable to balance this as I have used the DSLR and same ED80 with finder guider and original mounting rings and dovetail and had no problem getting it all to balance.  Unless your DSLR is a lot heavier than mine which was a 450D.  

Can only suggest a longer dovetail.  

Carole 

Hi Carole,

I have the same DSLR, a 450D as you, I have a field flattener on there as well which pushes the DSLR further away from the centre of the mount.  Saying that, it does just balance now with my 450D, but when I put on my 7D mk2 I know it will not balance as this is a lot bigger and heavier than the 450D.

I'll try the longer dovetail bar then as I think I can get one for about £20 or so as it sounds this will make a difference.

Archived