Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep14_banner.thumb.jpg.27eb9b06c9c8a1fe5ac3bae21c92743b.jpg

Hi guys, you've probably hear this before but i have a 250PDS on an NEQ6 and I've been Finder Guiding but now I've brought a SW off-axis guider but for some reason i cant get focus in my EOS 450D. I've wound the mirror up as much as i dare but i still cant seem to gain focus.

Does anyone out there use one or do you have any suggestions i could try?

Thanks

A ST-80 and in my case a lodestar work perfectly...i do have the remnants from 2 OAG's that a gave up with...

DSC_0845.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By laks20
      Hi
      I own a Skywatcher SynScan 130P Explorer but I find it does not take good astro images and now I hardly use it  which is really sad and with some money coming in the next few months I want to sell it and buy another good scope to support taking pics of the night sky. 
      Well, my question and I need  advice : Since I am really enjoying photographing the night sky at the moment, I am using my Canon 70 D on a good tripod with Samyung 14mm or Tokina 11- 14mm. I have got some ok pics from this of the Milky Way but I am not greatly  satisfied with the results much. As an upgrade, I am keen on buying a star tracker  and a astro modified camera( or something similar to this ). (I want to kick myself as I sold my Canon 450D two years ago for £100) Do you think I should ?  Is this useful ? Can I use the Star tracker with my canon 70D? Also, If I get the star tracker will a astro modified camera help me take better pics. I have seen some stuff on You tube , but I am confused. Also , If I buy another scope will I be able to use the modified camera with that ?
      Sorry for asking so many questions. 
    • By knobby
      Hi All, wondered if you could help me make sense of this ... new HEQ5 - belt modded by FLO, all feels good, minuscule backlash but strange guiding.
      Admittedly first time using it but baffled.
      Failed calibration see image below and guiding seemed to be Ra and Dec following each other.
      Stars look ok ish (@ 1500 mm )
      Needle galaxy is poor as only about 10 mins each in RGB
      note - it was hazy and did keep losing star in OAG

Thanks for looking
      PHD2_DebugLog_2020-05-19_221608.txt

• By astrosathya
      Hi everyone,
      I would like to use my QHY5L-II with my OAG. However, it seems like even at 2x Binning its not able to see stars. I've used Dark library, but no use even then
      Any help will be appreciated.
    • By crossingsymmetry
      Greetings everyone.
      I recently scored a great deal on facebook marketplace and bought Skywatcher Skymax 180 mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope (f/15) with EQ6R-pro mount. I understand that long focal length telescopes are more suitable for planetary imaging. However, as I am tight on budget, I would like to use the same scope for deep-sky astrophotography. I have Canon Rebel T5 DSLR camera that I am using for taking images. Without autoguiding and a decent polar alignment, I can get ~30 seconds long shots without any star trailing, but that's not sufficient for imaging objects like M51. I would like to be able to integrate longer, say few minutes, thus would like to purchase an autoguider.  Here are some specific questions I have.
      1). The telescope comes with an 8 x 50 straight-through finder.  If I were to use it as a guidescope, what type of image integration time can I expect? Has anyone done autoguiding for f/15 scope with an 8x50 or other finderscopes?
      2). If the integration time will be an issue with the 8x50 finder scope, I am open to purchasing an off-axis-guider. However, considering the narrow field-of-view of Mak-180 telescope, I am concerned about not having enough photons from guidestar for autoguiding. For instance, with my DSLR camera, I need to integrate 20-30 seconds to see the nearby stars in M51. What type of OAG and camera would I need to autoguide with my scope? Are there affordable cameras (~$200) that would do the job for me? Would ASI120MM Mini Monochrome (~$150) do the job? What about OAG?
      I plan to use phd2 software for autoguiding rather than relying on the build-in guide port on the mount.  Instead of integrating for hours, I am planning to do DSS stacking of few mintues long multiple shots, hopefully this will put less strict requirements on the autoguider.
      In case this information is relevant: with my current setup, I have no issue pointing my scope to a desired deep-sky object, track the object within the field-of-view of my DSLR camera for hours using the mechnical tracking of the EQ6 mount. For instance following is a single raw image of Ring nebula taken with 30 seconds shot.  But it is not enough for generating high-quality images. 

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
      Jay

• By Astronome
      Hello all,
      I have had a real problem with my AZ EQ6 GT:
      I have found that the MOUNT guide rate in RA is 1/3 the guide rate in DEC.  EQMOD is set to 0.9 in both axis??  This seems to have happened when I tried guiding with AA& instead of the normal PHD2?
      Is there a mount direct command to alter the RA guide rate.  Bit like the mount commands to dim the polar scope and set park position.
      You know one of these serial commands the no one ever uses??
      All the best
      John

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.