Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Helios Apollo 15x70 binoculars and a Comet

For many years I have been using some Celestron 15x70 binos and have been very pleased with the results. In fact these are brilliant binos for the money as long as they keep their collimation which mine have I am pleased to say.

However, I decided I wanted a better quality pair of binos so bought the Apollo 15x70 which has received many good reviews on this forum. I also fancied being able to screw in  UHC or O-III or H.Beta filters into the eyepiece end to view areas like the Veil, M42 etc. Maybe see the California Neb better!!!

This morning I got up at 4am to see a clear sky so I went outside with the binos to view the Comet. Unfortunately that area of the sky had slight cloud cover so I viewed M42, M1, M36, M37, M38, Double Cluster, M45, M35, M51, M81, M82, M65, M66, Kembles Cascade and NGC 7789 instead.

By 5pm the whole sky was clear so I went looking for the Comet C/2013 US10 - Catalina. Easily found and the view in the new binos was much clearer and contrast better than with the Celestron.

So my first real outing with the Apollo binos is a very positive one and I look forward to many hours (if we get a period of clear skies!!!!) to viewing with these in the future.

So you was the one that got the clear skies! In fairness, after a stormy night, I did (surprisingly) catch sight of Venus, Mars and Jupiter at dawn this morning. Nice report and great binos.

Yes I was lucky and I don't know why I was awake at 4am - perhaps it was too much beer at a christmas party on Saturday night :smiley:

Nice report, I have a pair of the 10.5 X Hellos or the same as, they are very good. Where is the comet, I can only find it is near Alpha Bootes on the 1st Jan and don't know which way it is moving.

Here's one I did earlier  :laugh:  :

Catalina201512.png

too much beer :smiley:

I understand each of those words individually, but not in that order. :grin:

Glad you're enjoying the Apollos, Mark. I'm currently evaluating the Lunt: even nicer (mind you, at the price differential, they should be).

Here's one I did earlier  :laugh:  :

Catalina201512.png

I understand each of those words individually, but not in that order. :grin:

Glad you're enjoying the Apollos, Mark. I'm currently evaluating the Lunt: even nicer (mind you, at the price differential, they should be).

Thanks Steve and I really grateful for the talk you gave in Hereford which I know was very well received by the Society's membership. In fact one of our members went out and bought some new binos.

I have been thinking for some time about the Apollos and seeing and handling yours made up my mind. I did think about the Lunt binos and you told me your were going to evalulate a pair but I decided it was more than I wanted to spend - I am still thinking of getting a 12" Dob.

Your report echoes my own experiences of the Celestrons and Helios Apollos.

I think that the Apollo's fill a median niche ,between Quality and price, extremely well.

Steve's reports of the Lunts are very tempting,but to be honest,I'd need to win the lottery before shelling out that sort of money on bins!

The Apollo's are my most used bit of Astro-kit.

Just one complaint (yet again)-those pesky objective covers that are prone to fall out.

I'm thinking of fixing mine with velcro dots and straps,as I'm terrifiied of losing those covers in the dark.

I always take my revelation 15x70s on holiday and get great views in clear dark skies... I have been thinking of treating myself to an upgrade... I expect you have just started me on the research phase of my next purchase :-) nice observation report as well...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

For many years I have been using some Celestron 15x70 binos and have been very pleased with the results. In fact these are brilliant binos for the money as long as they keep their collimation which mine have I am pleased to say.

However, I decided I wanted a better quality pair of binos so bought the Apollo 15x70 which has received many good reviews on this forum. I also fancied being able to screw in  UHC or O-III or H.Beta filters into the eyepiece end to view areas like the Veil, M42 etc. Maybe see the California Neb better!!!

This morning I got up at 4am to see a clear sky so I went outside with the binos to view the Comet. Unfortunately that area of the sky had slight cloud cover so I viewed M42, M1, M36, M37, M38, Double Cluster, M45, M35, M51, M81, M82, M65, M66, Kembles Cascade and NGC 7789 instead.

By 5pm the whole sky was clear so I went looking for the Comet C/2013 US10 - Catalina. Easily found and the view in the new binos was much clearer and contrast better than with the Celestron.

So my first real outing with the Apollo binos is a very positive one and I look forward to many hours (if we get a period of clear skies!!!!) to viewing with these in the future.

I'm surpirsed you found M1 with 15 x 70 bins. I'll have to look for it the next time I go out.

• 1 month later...

I've done it.... Finally found myself a pair of 15x70 Apollos! Arrived this morning superbly and safely packed by the seller.

Wow, they are quality looking Binos love them already. After much research and deliberating I went for the 15x70's because I like the plus 4° field of view, I love looking at sprinklings of stars.. I did seriously consider the Pentax 20x60 but thought I might as well set up a small scope for that magnification.

Anyway, I've got them to take with me to Australia next month to observe some southern hemisphere stuff (excited) 

I've just been up the hills by me to look at targets across Worcestershire comparing them with my revelation 15x70's Wow! they give bright clear and very sharp views in daylight that's for sure. Sat on a bench Binos attached to my monopod was a very pleasing experience (despite some muddy dog placing a muddy paw print on my clean Jeans)

As far as comparison goes with my revelations - I found the Apollos to be a sharper image, easier to hold and steady despite being much heavier. I think the independent focusing on each eye is a bit strange and not as much fun as moving a centre focuser but once focused very steady. I collimated my revelations and to be honest are amazing for the money.

I'm really looking forward to checking out a dark sky hopefully later tonight. Overall so far very pleased and lucky to have found these babies within my budget! I'll report back after some darkness....

Congratulations on treating yourself to some serious Bins!

Re your trip to the land of OZ- You may not know,but 'Astronomy Now' magazine now have a monthly star chart for the southern skies .

Though,then again, for the cost of a couple of issues,you could probably find a dedicated book,or southern sky planisphere.

No doubt,they have their own Astronomy mag in the Antipodes!

Wow! I managed the dark sky test last night and am delighted with these Apollos!

In my excitement I've posted on another thread, but just to update you - I have never seen the moon so crisp and clear through Binos as I did last night. I went to my sons just a couple of miles away with no street lights and just starred in amazement at the views I got through these babies. Mounted on the tripod the stars looked like pin pricks of bright light right across the FOV. 

I did some of the favourites, M42,45,31 split mizar a&b and just wondered at the size colour and brightness of some red giants!

When people say Congratulations on a purchase, I now see what they mean... On completing my session I said to my sons partner I must get a great reclining chair now with arms to lay back and enjoy the stars directly above! She immediately started searching online under fishermen's chairs... I have a birthday coming up ha ha Captain lucky am I...

I recommend a well collimated pair of budgets such as my revelations to start with but make no mistake my investment in theses Apollos is money very well spent! I think my budgets will get moved on for someone else to enjoy, otherwise I'm going to end up with as many pairs of Binos as I have scopes :-)

Archived