Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Please Help!! How can I simplify my life with software?

topgearuk

So I would like to take my astrophotography to the next level. I have been fixated on a new ccd camera as my next upgrade.. But the more I look in to this hobby the more it has come apparent that I need to learn with the tools I have at hand and get the best out of my limited time I have available.

I currently use phd for guiding and backyard eos for camera control. That's it.

I have an unusual setup technique. Polar align no problem. I can do this. But star alignment never happens goto has a mind of its own, in fact to the point I don't bother I miss this step out. I select on the handset a limited number of points in the sky I recognise, select one that's visible put into the goto and let it slew, when it finishes this I disengage clutches align object in finder scope. Then go on my merry way. I know this is a bit backwards. But seems to work (more so on my wide field scope of course) and I loose the least amount of time.

I getting myself in a muddle with which software would help me get better use out of my equipment and future purchase of a ccd. I'd also like to keep it as simple as possible and happy to pay for software if this is what is required.

So how can I automatic as much as possible or even help me improve my imaging time?

Maxim, apt, AstroTortilla, eqmod, SGpro, CdC, Stellarium the list goes on. But which one? Am I going to need more then one? I know I'm probably going to hear many different solutions as I'm sure there are many people with there own preferences, but hopefully I can be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The older I get the less I want to fight with pc related stuff, however to contradict this I like to mess with astro imaging thus I empathise with your quest for simplifying things. I have tried various "do all" programmes and came to the conclusion that the more they do the more complicated they are to me. Thus I have simplified things down to 2 small programmes which run nicely on my netbook and dont tax my brain cell and the netbooks too much. I use phd and Artemis capture, dead simple and more or less intuitive for the functions I require. These are usually augmented with a planetarium prog (skymap pro) and nexremote but sometimes if Im feeling particularly luddite I leave these out.

As you are using PHD, are you also using EQMOD to control the mount?

I would recommend AstroPhotographyTool, as will many others.

It's free, with only a handful of features requiring a paid license.

APT uses plate solving software by PlaneWave (you need to install this separately).

You can issue a goto in APT to your chosen target, then the plate solver will figure out where it is actually pointing and adjusts the mount accordingly.

I haven't tried to zero in on random coordinates yet , just the main listed objects, mainly because I only started using the APT plate solving this week!

Oh, and it is also mainly an imaging controller, i.e. takes your subs, names them accordingly, does dithering (moves the mount slightly between subs to avoid the same pixels picking up the same noise etc. on every shot.) and a lot more.

If you can get your head round this, you will improve a lot.

The equipment you have is only as good as you can get it to be.

I too thought Maxim was the bees knees, that is, till I tried SGPro.

For my portable rig I have an AZ EQ6,  Sx and QSI cameras and a LightPhase focuser.

Software wise, EQMOD, PHD and SGPro do everything, guiding with dither, focusing, and sequencing exposures and filters, to the point that I go to bed and leave it running.

Huw

The older I get the less I want to fight with pc related stuff, however to contradict this I like to mess with astro imaging thus I empathise with your quest for simplifying things. I have tried various "do all" programmes and came to the conclusion that the more they do the more complicated they are to me. Thus I have simplified things down to 2 small programmes which run nicely on my netbook and dont tax my brain cell and the netbooks too much. I use phd and Artemis capture, dead simple and more or less intuitive for the functions I require. These are usually augmented with a planetarium prog (skymap pro) and nexremote but sometimes if Im feeling particularly luddite I leave these out.

Thanks for your reply,

P.s Can't go wrong with a bit of Engel

As you are using PHD, are you also using EQMOD to control the mount?

I would recommend AstroPhotographyTool, as will many others.

It's free, with only a handful of features requiring a paid license.

APT uses plate solving software by PlaneWave (you need to install this separately).

You can issue a goto in APT to your chosen target, then the plate solver will figure out where it is actually pointing and adjusts the mount accordingly.

I haven't tried to zero in on random coordinates yet , just the main listed objects, mainly because I only started using the APT plate solving this week!

Oh, and it is also mainly an imaging controller, i.e. takes your subs, names them accordingly, does dithering (moves the mount slightly between subs to avoid the same pixels picking up the same noise etc. on every shot.) and a lot more.

If you can get your head round this, you will improve a lot.

The equipment you have is only as good as you can get it to be.

Thanks for your reply, No I'm not using eqmod, I might try APT 1st Do I need to install eqmod for this to work?

Getting to grips with why your GOTO doesn't work for you may be useful before getting more software that you may also not get to grips with.

I know, RTFM would help! It seems to be around 10 degrees out or something like that, trouble is every time I have time to play, which is not often, I just want to start imaging rather then finding out why it's not doing what it should, the Goto works perfect after I've manually selected the target. And have been able to goto other targets after this no problems.

Thanks for everyone else's reply and any more suggestions would be welcome too.

I remember Olly P telling me one time - using software to locate the target fast and efficiently results in more time collecting data on target. Irrespective of how good that person is at manually star hopping.

Often the first time sink is polar alignment. That's where a 3/4 ton of concrete pier comes in remarkably handy :D The result is vey fast setup times.

Then it's a simple matter of find the target, focus and guider tracking before capture.

Thanks for your reply, No I'm not using eqmod, I might try APT 1st Do I need to install eqmod for this to work?

Yes I would think so, I've never tried without.

EQMOD is great, look up EQASCOM on Youtube and follow Chris Shillito's videos. He's also a member on here should you need to ask him directly.

Yes I would think so, I've never tried without.

EQMOD is great, look up EQASCOM on Youtube and follow Chris Shillito's videos. He's also a member on here should you need to ask him directly.

I may be a member but you can't ask me anything directly - I do occasionally contribute to discussions though!

I don't know/use APT but if it controls the mount using ASCOM then you will need a ASCOM driver for your mount. For the HEQ5 that means either the EQMOD ASCOM driver (EQASCOM) or the celestron ASCOM driver.

Chris.

From my own experience:-

1. EQMod to interface the mount with your PC

2. Cartes du Ciel to talk to EQMod in an easy graphical manner

3. MaxIm DL to capture images, autoguide, plate solve, calibrate, stack and start the post processing

However, I have heard good things about SG Pro as an alternative to much of what MaxIm DL can do so have a look at this software too

I do not do AP but listen to, talk with and know a number of people that do.

It used to be that you could seemingly get by with one or two packages, talking with one person about 3 months back he was now using a different package for in effect each individual step or function. I think he listed 7 packages he uses.

I suspect you do need that to get the best/optimum result.

Even for relatively "simple" planetary imaging I read that the "best" way is to use AS!2 for stacking then RS6 for the rest (exact word/description escapes me). Used to be a case of just one, it does not seem to be getting a little "involved".

Problem is that you say:

"So I would like to take my astrophotography to the next level."

That will I expect mean more and different software packages. Would be interesting if when an image is posted that along with the number and length of the subs acquired if the real/actual total processing time was available. I think it would make interesting reading.

It is all the software and processing that makes me stick to the visual side even though half the scopes and mounts I have are well suited to AP. Although equally maybe it is that having worked in and with software for 40 years I have just had enough of it. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Evil thought: Get a film camera, not software possible. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:  :grin: 

As a noobie I feel pretty good with this combination of software.

DSO

APT ... I do own BOES and it is a great software, I just regret that I paid 38€ for it when APT does the same for free (minus a donation I intend to make)

Bahtinov graber

AstroTortilla

PHD

ASCOM/EQMOD

Carte Du Ciel

So for little $$$ (free if you do not donate) I can control my scope, drift align, focus, plate solve, guide, dither, capture

Stacking and processing done in PixInsight ... that is where all my money went ;)

I could get rid of AstroTortilla using the plate solving in APT but I have not tried that yet... Not sure if I should.

Planets

Sharpcap (Firecapture does not work with my webcam)

ASCOM/EQMOD

Carte Du Ciel

PIPP/RegiStax6/AS!2

Again, all free.

I did buy an EQDirect cable (tried to make one, failed because of piece of garbage chip from china) it is really nice to be able to get ride of the handset :)

HTH!

Archived