Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

20/11/15 short Auriga M hunt

goose35

All

Just had an hour with the 12x50 bins following AN magazines November binocular sky feature. Basicly a hunt for M's 36, 37 and 38.

Found them fairly quickly Starting from Alnath to HIP25291. Just on the edge of the fov was M36 a sharpish fuzzie. Once located both M37 and M38 could both be located on the edge of fov above and below M36, both appearing as less distinct faint fuzzies.

For all 3 M's i had to use averted vision

Pleased as punch with that hour and 3 more M's chalked off and my first chance to scan Auriga. I also passed many rich star fields that i havent identified due to the initial hunt for M's

Yeah, for the first time in years I did manage to view M33 the other night (Thursday night/Friday morning) through my 15 X 70's. It was just visible with averted vision, and extremely faint. Truly dark skies are required to see it, and it is very hard to see anywhere else, but with the right conditions you can very occasionally just make it out. It's one of those objects if you look too hard at it it dissapears. Didn't get a chance to check it with any of my scopes, but it was so dim that I doubt it would have pulled it out much anyway.

Archived