Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR Buying Guide

souls33k3r

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol sorry mate, i'm only asking this because i've read at so many places that no matter what the technical specification of a DSLR would be, the sensor size is the main factor ... and then someone added about ADC bits ... flip knows what they were on about.

I just do not want to end up spending on something that isn't required. 

600D is a little out of reach for me (already spent loads on the gear)

Judging by the above reply, then sensor and pixel sizes etc are not really in the equation as all the earlier S/H Canon DSLRs in the price range will be pretty much of a muchness.

Check out Wiki for detailed model specs.

Simply, the 'better' Canons have a lower number, single digit, double digit, triple digit, quadruple digit in the model number.

You might want to search in the 400, 450, 1000, 1100, 1200 'D' model areas on the S/H market, but go and check out the camera if buying from a private individual.

Best of luck,

Rich

So help me here guys, I guess I'm not getting the answers that I really want to know or I'm just not following you. So basically I should look for a DSLR that has low noise at higher iso correct? And less noise when taking dark frames?

What about the sensor size? Why is it that so important. What does it have to be?

Also when you reply, can you kindly also tell out of 350,400,450,550,1100 which one would you prefer? Thanks

Senors are crop type or full frame.

Full frame are equivilent to old 35mm film and crop are smaller, Canon have a factor of 1.6 crop.

If your really worried about noise the more up market Canons have on sensor dark current subtraction.

I know the Canon 60D is supposed to have this but I don't know if the cheaper models do.

450d would be the cheapest option, don't go for any lower model number.

Dave

Yes, I think anything earlier than the 450 isn't supported in Canon's drivers any more which may well be a pain.  I don't know how that pans out in real life though.

James

So help me here guys, I guess I'm not getting the answers that I really want to know or I'm just not following you. So basically I should look for a DSLR that has low noise at higher iso correct? And less noise when taking dark frames?

What about the sensor size? Why is it that so important. What does it have to be?

Also when you reply, can you kindly also tell out of 350,400,450,550,1100 which one would you prefer? Thanks

There are people here who know far more about this than me, but here's my (simplified) understanding regarding noise.  It may be wrong :)

Any camera will have a certain amount of noise and you can only usefully image targets where you have a sufficiently large number of photons arriving that the noise level becomes inconsequential.  For noise that is a function of time that places a limit on the brightness of the targets you can image.  For noise that is fixed per image it places a limit on how short your exposure times can be to capture a given target.  A camera with a low level of noise may therefore allow you to image more targets and get usable signal from shorter exposure times.

Of the list you give I'd immediately discount the 350 and 400 on the basis of the driver support that I've already posted about.  I may well be over-cautious there, but I'm not about to buy one to find out :)  The other three all look like reasonable choices to me.  I have a 450D that I use for astro-imaging sometimes.  My wife has an 1100D that I haven't tried using.  The 550D looks good on paper though I've never had one in my hands.

James

cheers guys, i guess i have the choice of 1100, 450 or 550D then.

Happy-kat, i still have the D3100 not sure how that still compares to canon say 450D or 550D, if D3100 is going to be less of a pain the i guess i'll use that. But seeing that people prefer Canon over Nikon, i didn't want to lose out on any of the functionalities.

As for what i bought last week, i'm still kicking myself because i thought i had bought a 550D when in reality i wrongly bought a 1200d *facepalm* which i had to send it back hence the reason for making sure i buy the right thing

What telescope are you planning to use with your DSLR?

currently i have an Celestron 8" EdgeHD and then later will be looking towards an ED80 or a Newtonian, depends 

I see you have a 450d, seems like this and 1100d are the more popular choices around. Am i correct? 

Would you reckon 550d to be better? I don't think i'll astromodify it ... or just yet

currently i have an Celestron 8" EdgeHD and then later will be looking towards an ED80 or a Newtonian, depends 

I see you have a 450d, seems like this and 1100d are the more popular choices around. Am i correct? 

Would you reckon 550d to be better? I don't think i'll astromodify it ... or just yet

To be honest I only know the 450D. It works well in combination with my two scopes. The 1100D looks like a very similar soec camera to me, just having looked.

If I were looking out now for a DSLR I might prefer one with a swivel out screen. Good for when the scope gets into a difficult position.

I think I would also wonder whether the 450D is getting to be quite an old camera now. I say that despite thinking its a good camera. Nice for terrestrial photography too.

Somewhere on this site is a link to a site in which the noise levels of various DSLRs is published, including the 450D. I can't remember what the site is called. Worth doing a search. The 450D comes out quite well as I recall.

I don't usually use more than 800 ISO.

To be honest I only know the 450D. It works well in combination with my two scopes. The 1100D looks like a very similar soec camera to me, just having looked.

If I were looking out now for a DSLR I might prefer one with a swivel out screen. Good for when the scope gets into a difficult position.

I think I would also wonder whether the 450D is getting to be quite an old camera now. I say that despite thinking its a good camera. Nice for terrestrial photography too.

Somewhere on this site is a link to a site in which the noise levels of various DSLRs is published, including the 450D. I can't remember what the site is called. Worth doing a search. The 450D comes out quite well as I recall.

I don't usually use more than 800 ISO.

Old or new, i dont want to end up being frustrated with fighting the noise levels :)

Oh and I believe you meant Gary Honis website correct? :)

Old or new, i dont want to end up being frustrated with fighting the noise levels :)

Oh and I believe you meant Gary Honis website correct? :)

It's very easy to get hung up on the minutia of astro imaging, the noise level is not likely to be your main problem especially if you're imaging from East London you'll be fighting LP and sky glow.

The cheapest option should be the 450d after that two things worth having are swivel screen and 1 to 1 crop video mode, available on some models but at a premium, personally I wouldn't get to influenced noise levels.

Dave

Archived