NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Televu Delite series-bit the bullet

baggywrinkle

I'll bet you are looking forward to using them :smiley:

...I bought through B&H, I did try Adorama, both had similar prices but the Adorama site would not accept a UK postcode (even though UK was selected as a billing country) or a US postcode???

As long as you pay the import duty there shouldn't be a problem should there ?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious, why would such a Panoptic be more advantages than TV plossls or orthos?

It will have about the same eye relief as plossl, shorter than orthos, bulkier than both, only advantage is bigger field of view, which is not something must-have in a driven mount for planetary binoviewing IMHO.

You asked a very good question and I think that all the points you said about why this might make little sense are interesting correct. 

I saw in Tubby Bear's signature that he owns a 24 and 19 Pan.. I own a 24 Pan too.. It's a truly lovely eyepiece! And like when one falls in love thoughts are not really rational!  :rolleyes:

I believe what he meant was "How wonderful would it be to have an equivalent 24 Pan in the short focal length range!" (assuming this would have all the features of a 24 Pan of course!)

If I guessed this right.. well, I have to say that I also wonder this when I use that eyepiece!  :rolleyes:

I think my eyes are just a bit weird. For some reason no matter what scope I use, when I use newer type wide field eyepieces on the moon, I get weird colour splodges when 'rolling my eye around' in the field. This has happened with Ethos and Delos but never with Radians, Delites, Plossls or even the older type one and two naglers I have used. Might just be me! They look a bit like the colour you sometimes see in moon photos so maybe it's actually a real effect revealed only by newer better coatings? But then why not in the Delites??

No idea really.

I massively prefer the Delites on the moon compared with the Delos.

Interesting; as I observe the Moon a lot. I'm pretty set on the Delos to be honest, although I haven't used one, the field stop and f/l of the 10mm is about what I want even though I'll be losing 10° of AFOV compared to the Luminos. The Delos's subjective lens looks huge which is a plus point. I used to use the Luminos quite a bit on the Moon and in the main it performed well with an f12.7 Mak. It can suffer from 'glaring' though with a very bright Moon. I was also a tad disappointed with the overall brightness and clarity with the Luminos for lunar viewing. 10mm f/l gives me a nice 130x magnification on the Mak which can become 208x with a Barlow element threaded directly into the eyepiece, useful in an eyepiece weighing nearly 400g like the Delos.

Based on a small number of sessions and if my main target was the moon I'd personally go for a 11mm Delite over a 10mm Delos for the reasons I put above. That said, on all other targets I'd say the Delos is an amazing eyepiece. I love them and have two - with plans to get more when funds allow. The Delite is substantially lighter though. If you don't see the anomalous splodges though maybe the Delos is indeed a better option. If you can, try before you buy

Based on a small number of sessions and if my main target was the moon I'd personally go for a 11mm Delite over a 10mm Delos for the reasons I put above. That said, on all other targets I'd say the Delos is an amazing eyepiece. I love them and have two - with plans to get more when funds allow. The Delite is substantially lighter though. If you don't see the anomalous splodges though maybe the Delos is indeed a better option. If you can, try before you buy

OK, thanks. I was considering the Delos for planetary in general as well. Due you think the anomalous splodges (edge of field colour?) are to do with f/number or conditions? I live in the greenbelt (low LP) and the Delos will be used predominantly in an f/12.7 Mak (and an f/10 SCT early next year most probably).

I think we are touching on the way each individuals eyes adapt and react to different eyepiece designs here so each of us may well have a slightly different experience when viewing different objects through them.

I still find that the Ethos eyepieces provide superb views of both solar system and deep sky objects. I find them very similar to Pentax XW's and the Delos with the bonus (for me) of the very, very wide field of view. I've not experienced anything like the issues that Shane describes viewing the Moon or other objects with them but then my eyes are not his, and vice versa :smiley:

If the Delites come out in the 4mm and 3mm focal lengths I may get them to replace my Radians in those focal lengths.

If there were obvious and inherant optical flaws in the Ethos, Delos or Delite ranges I think they would have surfaced some time ago. They are used by very many experienced observers worldwide after all :smiley:

Shane - have you spoken to Televue - or an optician - about the false colour you're experiencing? Between them they should be able to isolate a likely cause.

Fortunately the moon is one target where you don't need a caseful of Delos/Ethos. I prefer zooms or narrower Fovs for lunar viewing. I bet Delites are superb for this.

You must be feeling good about your purchases after reading that review!!!

Whilst I feel that the Delos' 72° is bang on for my manual Dob. These light gems sound perfect for the little scope......

Is it really worth a) the extra cash, and, B) the extra weight for 15% more FOV?

Paul

I am.

:icon_bounce: I feel that is a trustworthy review. His book is superb and propely compares just about every ep made whether in production or not.

For the money if anyone is buying ep's or wants to know more then the book is well worth it.

Can't wait to get my paws on them...a week or so to go.

Archived