Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Emission and reflection

So whilst waiting patiently for my poorly performing refractor to be returned from the dealer I was fiddling around with my DSLR and a spare dovetail.  Stealing a 3/8 fastener from my tripod I managed to fix the camera quite firmly and attach it to my replacement  mount that has just been delivered.  There lies another tale.  The resulting image using a 60mm lens is presented below.  The capture includes NGC1499 (California HA emission nebula) and of course M45 and its reflection nebulosity. I was quite surprised at how dark the lanes are between the two objects.  They obviously block a lot of photons!

Info: 1hour 54 minutes of unguided data at ISO400 (f4) using my Canon 60Da.  I did try and image at f2.8 but the star distortion was horrific.  Processed in DSS and Photoshop.

post-35542-0-74474200-1447093901_thumb.j

Thanks again guys.  I looked in quite close and the image shows all the lower Perseus doubles, just!  The lens is a Canon 60 mm f2.8 1:1 macro normally reserved for photographing my wife's jewellery production.  I wonder if the 'macro' helps with the 'flatness' of the field.  Perhaps one of the photo experts can comment.

Thanks again guys.  I looked in quite close and the image shows all the lower Perseus doubles, just!  The lens is a Canon 60 mm f2.8 1:1 macro normally reserved for photographing my wife's jewellery production.  I wonder if the 'macro' helps with the 'flatness' of the field.  Perhaps one of the photo experts can comment.

Pure macro lenses tend to have a flat field.

• 2 weeks later...

Good shot, like the contrast between these two, but is it a little dark maybe? Might be worth adjusting the white point perhaps.

Yes, maybe.  When I post to SGL this often happens in contrast to Flickr where the posts look a lot better.  Here is another one but the WP is now clipped.  You see, this is so much brighter on my screen but once posted it darkens considerably.

post-35542-0-04837900-1448360098_thumb.j

Archived